Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>CA Emergency Fund - Feedback please
macms 12:50 PM 01-17-2009
I'm asking for feedback regarding this idea to provide emergency assistance to our brothers in need. In the coming weeks/months some of our brothers may experience hardship. There is a principle that says, you must give it away to keep it. In this spirit I hope that this idea will provide us the opportunity to practice this.

Gifts could be cash or pre-paid gift cards for grocery stores, etc. or direct payments for utilities, etc.

The committee members alluded to have been selected and will remain anonymous for the time being.

Thank you for reading this and providing your feedback. After reviewing your feedback and in consultation with our moderators, a decision will be made if will we proceed with it.

CA Emergency Fund

The purpose of this fund is to provide a one time monetary gift to our unemployed brothers in need who are nominated by a member in good standing of CA.

How to nominate a brother
  1. The candidate must be unemployed a minimum of 45 days.
  2. All nominations and awards will remain anonymous.
  3. If the decision is made to award a gift to a nominee they will be contacted directly by the committee.
  4. The person nominated will never know they were nominated if a gift is not awarded.
  5. The committee will never disclose who nominated a recipient.
  6. The person nominating a candidate will never know if a gift was granted.

NOMINATE A BROTHER HERE

Governance

A committee comprised of members of CA will administer this fund.
  1. The committee will provide an accounting of donations and distributions for our members here.
  2. The committee will determine all recipients of the relief funds and the amount of the gift.
  3. Committee members and their families are not eligible to participate.

PLEASE DONATE HERE
  1. You may donate a minimum of $1.00 up to any amount you wish at any time to this fund.
  2. This is an informal effort therefore your donation is NOT tax deductible.

[Reply]
massphatness 01:07 PM 01-17-2009
Love the concept, Fred.

Question: what if one of our brothers or sisters is in need for a reason other than job loss? What if he or she is having a hard time because a spouse is unemployed or there's a child in the house with an illness, etc.? Can they be nominated?

I apologize if I'm muddying the waters.
[Reply]
bvilchez 01:12 PM 01-17-2009
Fred I love the idea!!!!

I was once told that one man's dollar is another man's hundred dollars.
[Reply]
DPD6030 01:25 PM 01-17-2009
I agree and love the idea. Might as well be CAMS (cigar asylum member supporters)! The donate link isn't working for me.
[Reply]
shilala 01:34 PM 01-17-2009
I think it's a very worthwhile idea, Fred. You're a genius.
[Reply]
macms 01:34 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Love the concept, Fred.

Question: what if one of our brothers or sisters is in need for a reason other than job loss? What if he or she is having a hard time because a spouse is unemployed or there's a child in the house with an illness, etc.? Can they be nominated?

I apologize if I'm muddying the waters.
This is the kind of feedback that's very helpful. Will consider this as well. Thanks.
[Reply]
macms 01:35 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
I agree and love the idea. Might as well be CAMS (cigar asylum member supporters)! The donate link isn't working for me.
I like CAMS! :-)
[Reply]
G G 01:37 PM 01-17-2009
Sounds like a winner to me.
[Reply]
loki 01:39 PM 01-17-2009
that's a freaking awesome idea, i love it
[Reply]
chippewastud79 01:43 PM 01-17-2009
Fred, its a great idea.

A question, how will it be determined the amount of the gift and what type of gift will be given (gift card, bill payment, etc.)?

A statement, not that I am one to judge, I do believe the people here are good, honest people, but similar to giving money to a random person or charity and not knowing whether they are buying something they need (food, clothes) or a luxury item (booze, or something else). I have experienced this misappropriation of funds in my own life when trying to help out a family member and it feels like you have been cheated. :-)
[Reply]
Mikepd 01:43 PM 01-17-2009
This is why we as a community stand apart from other groups. I'm all for it and am proud to call you guys my family!
[Reply]
68TriShield 01:45 PM 01-17-2009
I'll get on board Fred. I'd like to see the member in question kept anonymous if its desired.
Good idea Sir :-)
[Reply]
macms 01:50 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Fred, its a great idea.

A question, how will it be determined the amount of the gift and what type of gift will be given (gift card, bill payment, etc.)?
Excellent question. I'm thinking the committee will make this decision based upon the details of the request (nomination) and communication with the nominee. There can be no hard and fast "rules" as each situation will be unique. The committee will make a good faith effort to address the need of the recipient and the good will of our members. :-)
[Reply]
bigliver 01:50 PM 01-17-2009
Count me in as well. I am fortunate enough to be employed and have no danger of losing my job. It would be my honor to help out a friend in need.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 02:00 PM 01-17-2009
VERY good idea!
[Reply]
av8tor152d 02:05 PM 01-17-2009
Excellent idea !
[Reply]
bvilchez 02:13 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
The donate link isn't working for me.
Me neither......:-)
[Reply]
macms 02:21 PM 01-17-2009
The links are not functional at the moment. This thread is only to discuss the feasibility of this idea. If the decision is made to move forward then a new thread with a functional post will be provided. Thanks
[Reply]
bvilchez 02:37 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by macms:
The links are not functional at the moment. This thread is only to discuss the feasibility of this idea. If the decision is made to move forward then a new thread with a functional post will be provided. Thanks

Good to go.....well you can DEFINITELY count me in....we're family on here....:-)
[Reply]
GrumpyOleTroll 02:53 PM 01-17-2009
Originally Posted by bigliver:
Count me in as well. I am fortunate enough to be employed and have no danger of losing my job. It would be my honor to help out a friend in need.
:-)

I am in as well.

Keep me in the loop.

Shawn
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up