Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>Recommendations for myself
Dave128 09:03 AM 11-20-2012
I happen to enjoy CAO Italia's and CAO Mx2's. Also, anything Padron works out well. I've been smoking pretty regularly for a few years now and I've still not had an OpusX or a Davidoff. Both are certainly on my cigar bucket list.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 03:48 PM 11-20-2012
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Illusione. I was oblivious to their existence until the guy at one of my regular B&M's suggested. Like you said, it almost seemed like it was rolled in sugar! Pretty powerful smoke, caught me completely off guard.

Oh yeah, my obligatory #1 for Padron x000 series :-)
It was such a smooth smoke. I smoked the ~88~ Robust Maduro outside in high-30° weather. Didn't budge, just patiently smoked it away after a night of ice skating. Was beautiful. Soon I will possess Padrons, soon. Thanks :-)

Originally Posted by CigarNut:
If you are looking for a nice fine smoke you might give the Escencia's a try; they are made by one of our BOTLs who also makes Palio cutters.

Gullien cigars are inexpensive and are also made by one of our BOTLs.
I'll keep that in mind. If they are readily available I'll probably look into obtaining some. Thanks!

Originally Posted by T.G:
When I still smoked these, I found the larger sizes to be somewhat bland in comparison to their smaller counterparts.

There are quite a few vitolas in the Opus X line, but the problem is that they aren't all released every year and it's unlikely for any B&M to get more than a few sizes in any given shipment. So you really have to take what you can get when it comes to these.

Keep an eye on the "Limited and HTF" section of Tampa Sweethearts website (or call them), they sell them at MSRP or less - sometimes bundled with other cigars like their own line, which are good cigars and nothing to steer away from.
I put myself on Tampas Newsletter on your suggestion a while back in my past "Opus X" thread. Mostly I was just trying to get back on topic. Speaking of the off-topic: Look who learned how to Multi-quote. :-)

Originally Posted by Dave128:
I happen to enjoy CAO Italia's and CAO Mx2's. Also, anything Padron works out well. I've been smoking pretty regularly for a few years now and I've still not had an OpusX or a Davidoff. Both are certainly on my cigar bucket list.
I smoked a Cx2 and really really disliked it. Maybe I wasn't experienced enough at that point, because I really do love Cameroon wraps. Something about the Cx2 killed me. I got 2 Mx2s in the Humi, have had them for quite some time. May just have to light one up. As far as Opus X and Davidoff, I think as long as you buy them online and not at a crazy mark-up that you'd get at a B&M, you'd be able to mark a few off that list.

Thanks again everyone for any and all suggestions. I smoked a La Riqueza #3 earlier, I loved it. About to smoke an AJ Fernandez and a gifted B&M cigar. That brings me up to 45 brands in 52 days. Haha. It'd be more, but honestly I didn't even bother listing any B&M brands. Meh, whatever. No loss for me :-P
[Reply]
pnoon 04:41 PM 11-20-2012
Originally Posted by iaMkcK:
Look who learned how to Multi-quote. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
iaMkcK 04:23 AM 11-21-2012
Well, yesterday was interesting. I took 2 unbanded cigars that I was gifted by a BOTL on here, and brought them to my buddies. The first cigar was an AJ Fernandez Overrun Toro 6.5x48.. I cut it perfectly, lit it up... And the damn thing was plugged. I tried cutting a bit more off the cap to help it.. Didn't help. Snapped it in half. Lit up the second cigar which was a local B&M's stick the guy gifted me, also 6.5x48. I'll be damned if I didn't have 2 plugged cigars in less than 5 minutes. Snapped that in half as well.

My buddy was shocked, he had never seen me commit such an act. He doesn't really smoke, but I've got him to smoke a RP Evolution and also an AF Short Story -- both of which he enjoyed but didn't smoke much of. Anyways, he goes "Hey, there's this new smoke shop few blocks away that just opened up, they had one of those walk in humidity things you always talk about".. I was like.. Right on, sold. Let's cruise. I knew I had cigars at the house, but never hurts to check a new place out.

This place was actually pretty decent. They had my favorite LGC in stock, the Serie R #5 [Natural, not Maduro], as well as the #6 -- both of which are $6 cheaper than where I normally get them. Then I continue on. The typical suspects. Romeo y Julieta, Acid, Java... Then I seen the Arturo Fuente, also typical suspects.. But wait, there are 2 boxes of the Short Stories. Nay, one is the Short Story -- The other is the WOAM, priced at about $9 or $10, can't remember exactly. I was pretty impressed. I continue on. I see the 858, but it's the typical one I purchase, at a slightly higher mark-up. Oh, Camacho Triple Mad as well -- Relatively decent on the price. And they had some Oliva V Melanios, Torpedos. They were pretty expensive.

Then, I see Padron.

Originally Posted by T.G:
Those were basically my thoughts too when I saw the list and the starred cigars. I was thinking Padron Maduro 2000, 3000 or 6000.

I look at the boxes, and I laugh as they basically miss all the ones you mentioned. There is the 7000.. No 6000.. The 5000... The 4000.. Score, 3000 is there, no 2000. Not sure if it was a Maduro or not, but sure enough, I grabbed one. It was $8.99, but whatever. Not mad. Thing blew me away. I was impressed all too hell with it. The finish was too damn brutal though. I had to let it go with a 1/6th left. Great little smoke.

The B&M also carried almost all the RP Vintage lines, cameroons and connecticuts and all that good stuff. Nothing really outrageous of course, it's a small town and it's a small shop. No Ashtons, no Illusiones, no Tats, no EPCs, no LPs. Had some better priced Cohiba Red Dot Tubos than I'm used to [He had the toro tubos for like $17.95, most places around here do $24.--] The owner is really weary and untrusting of people who go in his humidor -- so hopefully in time I can try and get him to get some new sticks [after spending some money in his shop and he warms up to me. Haha]

All in all, pretty damn good day after the 2 cigars disappointed me. This B&M is also a 3 minute drive from my house. The normal one I frequent is literally an hour and 10 minutes drive, but I go there because it's actually a lounge and they serve drinks. This was just your typical Smoke shop, with a pretty decent humidor in there. I'll for sure grab some new things out of there just to try.

Sorry for the long post. Just on my lunch break and had a lot on my mind.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:07 AM 11-21-2012
Sounds like a nice little excursion Jarrett. Always fun when you find those little gems that you would normally overlook.

Glad you liked the Padron. For me, the 3000's is as large as I would go, but I prefer the 2000, if I'm smoking the thousand series.
[Reply]
joeobx 10:19 AM 11-21-2012
Jarrett, if you want to try the 601 blue they're on the Monster for 20 a 5 pack.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 11:14 AM 11-21-2012
Yeah, I saw those earlier. Personally I want to get the Robustos, its always the Proms, etc that go on sale.. I'll drop the hammer soon, thanks though!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up