Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Recommendations for myself
iaMkcK 08:35 PM 11-19-2012
Essentially, I started smoking on September 30th, 2012. So, 51 days ago -- and in that time, I've smoked at least a cigar a day and tried 41 separate lines [That I can remember, damn alcohol :-)]. I am looking for any recommendations, because I have been trying almost anything I can get my hands on. As of lately, I've been smoking more of the premium boutiques and not so much budget cigars [I AM NOT AGAINST TRYING SOME! Lord knows the high-end cigars hurt the pocketbook, heh]

Now, I have searched and read recommendations on past threads.. I've gone through countless "Recommend me cigars" lists.. And from those, some of these cigars have came from [The LGC Serie R #5 & the Quesada Oktoberfest immediately come to mind].. Alas, I feel that based off my specific likes and dislikes, a more honed in recommendation list could form. I don't mean to make "Another one of these threads?!?!" -- I just want to keep expanding. I think I've done good so far..?

Here comprises a list I just made up of cigars that I've smoked [To the best of my knowledge]. I realize recommendations may be worthless in some peoples opinions. I know that everyone's mileage varies -- but I've come to find some people can be like "Oh, you like this this this and this.. If that's the case, these might be up your alley".. Oh, and for the record.. This is a heavily edited list. The list I originally made that this came from lists wrapper type, where I bought them/who gifted me them, size/ring gauge, and is in an actual spreadsheet -- Also I removed any CCs [For reference sake, every one I've smoked I enjoy -- but wouldn't buy again]. On to the list:

First category are my "Will buy again" category. The * represent a highlight in my smoking career. Some of these have altered the way I smoke cigars completely, some have made me appreciate cigars even more. For whatever reason, they rank high.

Alec Bradley - Black Market, Robusto
Alec Bradley - Prensado, Churchill
Arturo Fuente - Flor Fina 8-5-8, Corona Gorda
Arturo Fuente - Hemingway Short Story, Perfecto
Cuesta Rey - Centro Fino Sungrown #60, Toro
*Drew Estate - Chãteau Real Small Club Corona, PC
*Drew Estate - Liga Privada Único Serie Dirty Rat, Corona
*Drew Estate - MUWAT 6x60, Double Toro
*Drew Estate - MUWAT Bait Fish, PC
Famous - Private Selection Nicaragua, Robusto
Hoya de Monterrey - Excalibur #2, Double Corona
*La Gloria Cubana - Serie R #5, Robusto
*My Father - Flor De Las Antillas, Robusto
*Oliva - Nub 466BPT, Torpedo
Partagas - Black Label Gigante, Double Toro
Quesada - Oktoberfest Bavarian, Robusto
Rocky Patel - Evolution, Torpedo
Rocky Patel - Vintage Connecticut 1999, Churchill
Romeo y Julieta - Vintage, Corona
Tatuaje - Havana VI Nobles, Robusto

This list encompasses cigars I would try again, but didn't rate the top list. The AB got on here because the Nicotine really roughed me up, but I enjoyed the cigar -- Revisit later. The Double Chateau was good, but it was one-note -- Priced right I'd grab 'em again. The Edge is a decent cigar, but it doesn't scream amazing. The RyJ, honestly I just can't remember it being outstanding.. So, recap:

Alec Bradley - Prensado, Robusto
Arturo Fuente - Double Chateau, Churchill
Rocky Patel - Edge Torpedo Corojo
Romeo y Julieta - 1875 Cedro Deluxe #2, Corona

This list encompasses cigars I have tried, and disliked for whatever reason. Reasons I dislike a cigar vary from the cigar having too much of a cigarette taste, or just overall didn't enjoy. Here are the few that I ended early: Unholy Cocktail, Cain Nub 460H, RyJ Reserva Real, and the Schizo. Here's the list:

Arturo Fuente - Curly Head
Brickhouse - Robusto
CAO - Cx2 Beli
Cuenca y Blanco - Toro Supremo
Diesel - Unholy Cocktail, Torpedo
El Baton - Robusto
Joya de Nicaragua - Antaño Dark Corojo Azarosa, Rothschild
La Gloria Cubana - Retro Especiale Cubano, Double Toro
Montecristo - Habana 2000 Tubos, Rothschild
Oliva - Cain Nub 460 Habano, Rothschild
Pinar Del Rio - Oscuro Liga Cubana #2, Torpedo
Punch - Rare Corojo, Rothschild
Rocky Patel - Edge Missile Corojo
Romeo y Julieta - Reserva Real, Corona
Schizo - Torpedo

So.. Wall of text done. Feel free to comment with outrages such as "If you liked the Dirty Rat, how could you NOT like the JdN Antaño?!?" & the like.
[Reply]
Tallman 08:51 PM 11-19-2012
I'm a big Ashton fan. Try the Heritage and VSG.

Also, you may like the Kristoff Criollo.....

Just guessing here, but these are all really good smokes for me. You may find that one of them rings your bell!

Best regards,
Murray
[Reply]
iaMkcK 08:53 PM 11-19-2012
Been highly tempted to try the Ashton VSGs, but my lounge overprices the hell out of anything Ashton. I've seen the Kristoff but never knew much about them, they are sub-$10 at my lounge, so I may just grab one or two. Any specific vitolas for either Ashton or Kristoff? Was all about 6x60s but have recently gotten into more of the PC and Coronas.

Thanks again!

Jarrett
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:55 PM 11-19-2012
Padron's, the Londres is such a good, consistent smoke that won't break the bank. Also, if you want something stronger, try the Camacho triple Maduro.
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:59 PM 11-19-2012
I know this sounds Cliche... but you never really know till you try one for yourself... and even then you still may not know (due to humidification/age/care before purchase/ ect)

While there are many people who get similar tastes on sticks and many people who develop similar pallets... often times the same cigar can be smoked by 2 people who like the same things and one will like it and the other may not... The perfect example of this is when my neighbor and I herf on the same stick... often times I am a bit critical and he is a bit more redeeming or vise versa...

For this reason I take all good and most bad reviews with a grain of salt... it really comes down to you... your taste buds and you mood...

As for you list it seems you have gotten your hands on a pretty good selection... and you seem to be keeping up with your tastes and thoughts on them... Kudos... :-)
[Reply]
TJarv 09:00 PM 11-19-2012
I tend to enjoy stuff from Drew, Ashton, and Tatuaje all of which are on your top list.

Give illusione MJ12, Kristoff Corojo Limitada, Jaime Garcia, DPG JJ, 601 Blue, and San Lotano a try. Seems like you have similar taste preferences to mine and these are my favorites.
[Reply]
Robulous78 09:02 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by TJarv:
I tend to enjoy stuff from Drew, Ashton, and Tatuaje all of which are on your top list.

Give illusione MJ12, Kristoff Corojo Limitada, Jaime Garcia, DPG JJ, 601 Blue, and San Lotano a try. Seems like you have similar taste preferences to mine and these are my favorites.
MMMM.... Tasty stick right there.... :-)
[Reply]
iaMkcK 09:08 PM 11-19-2012
@Bob -- I was gonna get a Padron 1964 last night since my lounge just got boxes in. Cheapest one was $26.99 before tax. I passed, as Famous-Smoke would provide me with a cheaper price point. Annnndd, I'm scared of the Camacho Triple Mad.

@Rob -- Trust me, I know. That's why this post was LOADED with disclaimers. Life is just too short to smoke a bad cigar. :-)

@Tony -- I've got 5 Illusiones in the Humi. 2 of them are some 2009's Singulaires purchased when released and properly stored since. I want to smoke one, but I am waiting for a special occasion -- Much like the 2 Tatuaje Cojonu 2003s that have been aged for years that I got.. I see a trend of Kristoff, they are next on my hitlist. I have a DPG in the humi, and I have been dying to try the 601 Blue Robustos -- There is a thread on here with people just RAVING about them. I will keep that on my next purchasing list. Never even heard of San Lotano or seen the label. I'll keep my eye out.

And I refreshed before posting and seen Rob posted, to which I must say

@Rob -- Oh yes sir, that's the general consensus.. Got to just pull the trigger..
[Reply]
T.G 09:08 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Padron's, the Londres is such a good, consistent smoke that won't break the bank. Also, if you want something stronger, try the Camacho triple Maduro.
Those were basically my thoughts too when I saw the list and the starred cigars. I was thinking Padron Maduro 2000, 3000 or 6000. A PAM64 if you want to take it up a notch (although they are spendy). La Aurora 1495 corona might also fall in line with what you are looking for.

Maybe also toss a Liga Privada T-52 on the list and a Fuente 858 Sun Grown (cedar wrap w/ black ribbon at the foot), and the Fuente Anejo or WOAM if you can find them.
[Reply]
jluck 09:10 PM 11-19-2012
I'm shocked you've been in the game 51 days and already had (obtained) a dirty rat! Kudos!!

Give MOW puro authintico a shot (NOT MADURO). Also LGC Rabito De Cochino is at the top of my NC list
[Reply]
Robulous78 09:11 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
I'm shocked you've been in the game 51 days and already had (obtained) a dirty rat! Kudos!!

Give MOW puro authintico a shot (NOT MADURO). Also LGC Rabito De Cochino is at the top of my NC list
Also a great stick... :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:14 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by iaMkcK:
@Bob -- I was gonna get a Padron 1964 last night since my lounge just got boxes in. Cheapest one was $26.99 before tax. I passed, as Famous-Smoke would provide me with a cheaper price point. Annnndd, I'm scared of the Camacho Triple Mad.
If you are going to try a PAM, look for the Principe. It's the cheapest of the lot. But as Adam mentioned, try the regular '000 series, or the Londres. They're a lot cheaper than PAM's and still very good.
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 09:17 PM 11-19-2012
Anything Padron... :-)
[Reply]
iaMkcK 09:19 PM 11-19-2012
@Adam -- Right on, I'll check out some of the Padron Maduro X000s, and that PAM64 is on my hitlist. I've been meaning to grab some more LPs, but as of right now.. I must wait*. I'll look out for the AFs mentioned. I still need to put up those pictures from when I smoked the Dirty Rat!

@Jared -- I'm writing these names down as well.. Oh, and honestly, I got that cigar exactly 35 days after I started smoking. Next week I will be getting a shipment of another Único Serie.. Which will be explained in the asterisk! :-D

@Bob -- For sure, I'll remember. :-)

@Rico -- Hahah, right on man :-)

* At the end of this week, I'll be receiving a box of FFPs and also a 5er of Undercrown Gran Toros. So, my horizons will expand a bit further.
[Reply]
omowasu 09:22 PM 11-19-2012
Sounds like you should take a dive into the Maduro variants of the smokes you like. The Padron maduros are wonderful smokes, and so is the Camacho Triple Maduro. Dont be afraid of that one, just enjoy it after a full meal. The triple maduros I have smoked have been medium-full but not buttkicking nicotine bombs.

Also, the EP Carillo lines are full flavored and full bodied, but have some great flavors to them and are certainly worth a try.

If money is an issue, many of the smokes listed can be found on the devil site in 5ers, or they can be ordered online cheap and sometimes without tax.

If you keep going the way you are, you will soon have whole new worlds of cigar enjoyment to confront! :-)
[Reply]
iaMkcK 09:26 PM 11-19-2012
@Scott -- Basically I've shied away from Maduro's, because I thought Maduro meant powerful. If only people had taught me better when I first started. I actually screwed up and had my girlfriend smoke a lighter colored LFD -- Double Ligero. She vomited. I thought "Meh, it's light, it'll be mild." Oh, it was Mild. I fed her sugar and she was better.

I forgot to add to my list the Illusione ~88~.. I found one at a local B&M lightly powdered in plume. It was amazing. And yes, I'm keeping track of every cigar mentioned!
[Reply]
PearlS4 09:47 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD:
Anything Padron... :-)
Padrons for sure, I love the 64's. Try some of the Tatuaje lines, the Liga Privada lines, and for one that's a bit under the radar, La Riqueza #4's
[Reply]
iaMkcK 09:50 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by PearlS4:
Padrons for sure, I love the 64's. Try some of the Tatuaje lines, the Liga Privada lines, and for one that's a bit under the radar, La Riqueza #4's
Smoked some LPs & Tats.. Got some LPs, Tatuajes & La Riqueza #4s in the humi -- and some Liga Privadas on the way. :-)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions as of yet. It's truly appreciated. I'm currently making a shopping list of where to buy all the cigars mentioned and what have you. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:01 PM 11-19-2012

@Rob -- Trust me, I know. That's why this post was LOADED with disclaimers. Life is just too short to smoke a bad cigar. :-)

@Tony -- I've got 5 Illusiones in the Humi. 2 of them are some 2009's Singulaires purchased when released and properly stored since. I want to smoke one, but I am waiting for a special occasion -- Much like the 2 Tatuaje Cojonu 2003s that have been aged for years that I got.. I see a trend of Kristoff, they are next on my hitlist. I have a DPG in the humi, and I have been dying to try the 601 Blue Robustos -- There is a thread on here with people just RAVING about them. I will keep that on my next purchasing list. Never even heard of San Lotano or seen the label. I'll keep my eye out.

And I refreshed before posting and seen Rob posted, to which I must say

@Rob -- Oh yes sir, that's the general consensus.. Got to just pull the trigger..
@Adam -- Right on, I'll check out some of the Padron Maduro X000s, and that PAM64 is on my hitlist. I've been meaning to grab some more LPs, but as of right now.. I must wait*. I'll look out for the AFs mentioned. I still need to put up those pictures from when I smoked the Dirty Rat!

@Jared -- I'm writing these names down as well.. Oh, and honestly, I got that cigar exactly 35 days after I started smoking. Next week I will be getting a shipment of another Único Serie.. Which will be explained in the asterisk! :-D

@Bob -- For sure, I'll remember. :-)

@Rico -- Hahah, right on man :-)

* At the end of this week, I'll be receiving a box of FFPs and also a 5er of Undercrown Gran Toros. So, my horizons will expand a bit further.
We are NOT Twitter. Ditch the @ bull$hit.

Convention here is to quote the person's post to whom you are addressing/responding. Also, by quoting the post, it lends context to your response without the reader having to go back and read the post of the person you are responding to.
[Reply]
DaBear 10:19 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
We are NOT Twitter. Ditch the @ bull$hit.

Convention here is to quote the person's post to whom you are addressing/responding. Also, by quoting the post, it lends context to your response without the reader having to go back and read the post of the person you are responding to.
I honestly dont see the problem with what he's doing. :-) The @ thing is keeping the thread from getting spammed from him responding to every post.

Anywho, on topic, I would say the MUWAT+11s if you can find them and any Tat with the Reserva wrapper would be up your alley.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up