Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 5
« First < 345
All Cigar Discussion>Sam To Leave Oliva and NUB
hotreds 12:02 PM 11-22-2010
Interesting to read the various opinions. I met him once, at a Cain event at The Beer Sellar- he was very friendly, and even gave mama a cigar he had just rolled when I mentioned that she used to work in the tobacco fields in N.Ct. He talked to everybody, and spent time with those he talked to. So, in my brief encounter, I have nothing bad to say about the fellow.
[Reply]
auburnfan1980 12:28 PM 11-22-2010
I think Sam seems like a great guy based upon the 3 or 4 times I've dealt with him both as a former retailer and onlooker at an event. He seemed very humble and was genuinely appreciative of the support from customers who attended.

I don't know the story's history between some of you on the forum and Sam apparently wanting immediate access, but I will say this about myself: I don't know about you guys, but if I were still being beaten up weeks, months, and years after the many times I've made an ass of myself, I'd have no friends and possibly disowned by my family. I'm glad I have friends that are willing and able to forgive and forget. That's just my :-) on the matter as I'm sure none of you have the problem Sam and I apparently do in showing our asses from time to time. :-)
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:36 PM 11-22-2010
Nicely said, Jason- and a good thing to keep in mind.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 01:13 PM 11-22-2010
I'm pretty sure I signed up here after the "24 hour gate" happened, or might have been right before. No doubt Sam got off on the wrong foot here and was wrong. I'm not ragging on anybody here (haven't been around long enough for that) and hope not to offend anybody. But I have read the thread back when it hapened (might have been more then one, not sure) in which the topic was discussed and I don't think Sam was ever really given a chance to make up for his mistakes. Now of course its easy to say "hey this is a open forum" he had ever chance he wanted! But if it is clear that you are not welcomed by the core group of users then why keep coming back?

Let me say I can totally understand why this kind of thing can happen also, when you are a core member somewhere and pretty much consider a place a home away from home its easy to jump on somebody for trying to beat your front door in. So I'm not trying to blame anybody for what happened.

I will say that I have gotten to know Sam pretty good, including being around him away from a event or cigar related environment and he is a great guy!
[Reply]
icehog3 01:29 PM 11-22-2010
Dan, you are more than entitled to your opinion, no reason to apologize. Just because some people have had bad experiences doesn't mean everyone here has to agree with us. :-) :-)

Now, if we were talking Gurkha cigars..... :-)
[Reply]
weak_link 07:34 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Now, if we were talking Gurkha cigars..... :-)
Various blends of lead piping can be tough to distinguish, don't be so hard on yourself Admiral!
[Reply]
icehog3 01:29 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by weak_link:
Various blends of lead piping can be tough to distinguish, don't be so hard on yourself Admiral!
:-)
[Reply]
leafandale 10:43 PM 11-29-2010
I've read about the incident that happened here with Sam so I can understand why some guys would have doubts about him. I also understand some peoples "BS Meter" going off the scale on the "sweet spot" issue. That's all cool. Everyone's entitled to their opinion about where marketing meets hype.

I've had the guy at my shop for two events, I've interviewed him for our blog, and we've chatted at length about **** that has nothing to do with cigars. He's a regular guy who loves what he does for a living and hates being away from his family so much. He may not be the smoothest guy in front of a keyboard, but he's a helluva nice guy in person.

So he made an ass of himself here. We all have at one time or another, just not on a cigar forum. Your crazy Uncle Earl does that every year at Thanksgiving and you still forgive him. And Sam has more in common with you than you do with your Uncle Earl. Why the continued grudge?
[Reply]
Eleven 10:54 PM 11-29-2010
I miss Uncle Earl.
[Reply]
icehog3 03:03 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by leafandale:
Why the continued grudge?

Not really a grudge...Sam showed that he had no use for our community after posting for a couple days, getting some honest answers, and never returning. He has no use for us, I don't see any reason I should have use for him. :-)
[Reply]
mmblz 03:07 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Not really a grudge...Sam showed that he had no use for our community after posting for a couple days, getting some honest answers, and never returning. He has no use for us, I don't see any reason I should have use for him. :-)
He didn't just screw up. He screwed up and then never bothered to try again.
"Uncle Earl" might make an ass out of himself on one day of the year, but not all the others as well.
My opinion of Sam won't change unless he gives me a reason for it to change...
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
« First < 345
Up