Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
All Cigar Discussion>Nica Libre
Blueface 07:30 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
Don't worry, I'm used to no one listening to me - my wife does an excellent job of it!
.....and for some reason you believe you should be any different than any of us other married men?:-)
[Reply]
OHRD 07:32 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
.....and for some reason you believe you should be any different than any of us other married men?:-)
Ha! Very true...what was I thinking! And now I've got a son who doesn't listen and another one on the way...Does it ever get better!?
[Reply]
Blueface 07:48 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
Ha! Very true...what was I thinking! And now I've got a son who doesn't listen and another one on the way...Does it ever get better!?
I wish I could give you hope.
Having raised two to adults and now having an empty nest..........
In as best short and sweet way I can tell you............

NOPE!
[Reply]
Blueface 09:23 AM 03-31-2010
Just smoked the Torpedo.
Will post photos later tonight.
Of the three I have smoked, this by far was the best.
I enjoyed the cigar. I can safely and clearly state this is not a Padron profile nor is it remotely close. On its own merits, it was a very good tasting cigar.
The construction was good overall.
I hair spongy but not bad at all.
The burn was a tad uneven but not as bad as the Principe. In fact, it was not bad at all.
I didn't pick up that after taste until about 3/4 of the way into the cigar and when I did, it was minimal and didn't last very long. I must have gotten use to it by now.

The only negative I will say about it is that just like the other two, this thing burns like wildfire. I have never, ever, ever had a torpedo of this size that has burned as fast as this cigar did.
I smoked it no differently than any other cigar. In fact, half of it was done while bs' ing with my neighbor guiding him on some gardening.
I killed this cigar in only 32 minutes.

So..........don't think anyone has commented on this when speaking of value.
Sure it is a cheap $2 to $3 cigar by today's pricing but when one considers the minimal enjoyment time involved as compared to other torpedo's of the same size, such as a Padron that will take me well over an hour, one has to really question the value overall at the end of the day. In the end, you are not getting a comparable cigar for $2-$3 to that of a $5-$10. You are just getting $2-$3 worth of tobacco.

Two sizes left to go to try out. Will likely do one a day for the next couple of days.
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:12 AM 03-31-2010
The principe I had lasted about 45 min, but as you could tell I was playing with my Canon so I probably extended it by 10. I still really liked the flavor of it and I have had maybe a dozen of the Padron Ann 26/64's it wasn't them it was different.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 06:33 PM 03-31-2010
Just got a 5er sampler for $10.79 + shipping. After they sit a bit I'll give them a shot.
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:00 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
Just got a 5er sampler for $10.79 + shipping. After they sit a bit I'll give them a shot.
Where did you get it?? Do tell.
[Reply]
htown 04:17 AM 04-01-2010
I just got a box of Principes on the devil site for $28- I am stoked. I got a couple of these from a friend on another board and was pleasantly surprised.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 05:43 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by htown:
I just got a box of Principes on the devil site for $28- I am stoked. I got a couple of these from a friend on another board and was pleasantly surprised.

$28 !!!!! What a steal.
I havent had one yet, but if I can get a deal like that, I will commit to a box right away!
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:27 AM 04-01-2010
Trying my first Nica Libre this evening. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 06:57 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
$28 !!!!! What a steal.
I havent had one yet, but if I can get a deal like that, I will commit to a box right away!
That is a great price indeed.

Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Trying my first Nica Libre this evening. :-)
Hope not the Exclusivo.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:06 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Hope not the Exclusivo.
Trying the Imperial or Torpedo.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 07:29 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Where did you get it?? Do tell.
Make Me an Offer on CI. The sampler is in the "we'll take almost anything" section. My first offer was 8 and change, I'd start off at 9 and see if they take it.
[Reply]
smokin5 08:51 PM 04-01-2010
Tried my first Exclusivo tonight (5-1/2 x 50 ring).
Most unimpressed.
Did not remind me of ANY Padron I've ever had, not the x000 series, much less a 1926 or 1964. Actually, it struck me more as an anemic Cuban Crafters Cabinet Selection. Sorta the same coffee/leather/spice, but far more subdued, with all flavor in the forefront & a flat finish. Every so often, I'd get a whiff of chocolate, but it was ghost-like in its appearance & disappearance. Granted, I've only smoked this one, but I have no incentive to buy another. There are far better smokes out there in the same price range, so this one can stay in someone else's humidor.:-)
[Reply]
sofaman 09:11 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Trying the Imperial or Torpedo.
Let me know how it was Mac I have been wanting to try these also:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:37 PM 04-01-2010
This thread is going to force my hand! Great discussion guys. :-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:05 AM 04-02-2010
Wow the reviews are all over. Love it, hate it. I REALLY liked this cigar it was the first one to wow me in long while. It's all about flavor for me and that's where it hit the spot. I had t he Principe (Spelling?)
[Reply]
Blueface 07:14 AM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Wow the reviews are all over. Love it, hate it. I REALLY liked this cigar it was the first one to wow me in long while. It's all about flavor for me and that's where it hit the spot. I had t he Principe (Spelling?)
For me, it totally had to do with the vitola.

Both dad and I agreed the Principe was a good tasting cigar.
We also both agree the Torpedo was the very best of the three we smoked.
We certainly were in agreement the Exclusive totally sucked.

I guess it boils down to first and foremost, a fair comparison of vitolas. You just can't assume they are all the same and just different sizes.

Next, it totally has to do with personal tastes. We all have different ones. I don't see this as Filet Mignon or Lobster where so many of the overall population just loves both. I think with this cigar, it will be a hit or a miss, depending on your taste preferences/perceptions and depending on your expectations.

For $2? Again, awesome tasting cigar (two of the three I tried that is).
Is it a Padron? Not even remotely close.
Is it deserving of such comparison. Absolutely not.
Is it worth trying? Absolutely. You be your own judge.
Is it something I am going to run out and stock up on? Nope.
Will I buy more in the future for an occasional kick and giggle? Yeah.

I am going for one of the two remaining vitolas later today. That will be number 4 and not really sure what that will be like as those two have bad, bad voids in them, unlike the Torpedo which had the best construction of all thus far. Dad is also going to have one so will share his thoughts as we both seem to be sharing the identical views thus far.

Just checked the Imperial again and the void is a mess, just below and bordering on the band. I can easily compress it to half the cigar.
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:32 AM 04-02-2010
Is it possible the rollers of the Prinicipe are the same team? And so for all vitolas? May explain the differences for the same cigar in different vitolas.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:39 AM 04-02-2010
Here is what awaits me later.
Note my fingers semi gently compressing the void in tobacco.
That is not my fingers covering up the cigar.
That is the cigar compressed to that point.
This is the Imperial version.

[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
« First < 345 67 >
Up