Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
General Discussion>Have you ever considered giving up cigars?
mosesbotbol 06:33 AM 01-28-2009
Maybe you should do some/more aerobic exercise to lesson the blow or irritation cigars may give you? Maybe there's an allergens that exacerbated by smoke?

It could be time to reserve cigars for just special occasions?
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 06:34 AM 01-28-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Well, hump day is here.
Haven't had one since Sunday.
When looking back at the last quarter of last year, no way I could have done that. I longed for at least one a day.

Easy week so far as no cravings.
I do feel my chest a whole lot better than I did on Monday.
That lingering head congestion seems to have cleared up.
My goal is to make it through the next two weekends and see how the herf goes on 2/14, then see if I can stay away for a bit more as planned.
I guess I'm going to have to bring the good stuff on 2/14 to help change your mind!
[Reply]
Blueface 06:41 AM 01-28-2009
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
I guess I'm going to have to bring the good stuff on 2/14 to help change your mind!
You are nuts.:-) ....and you scare me.:-)

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Maybe you should do some/more aerobic exercise to lesson the blow or irritation cigars may give you? Maybe there's an allergens that exacerbated by smoke?

It could be time to reserve cigars for just special occasions?
I really think you are right.
Part of doesn't like that.
Part of me welcomes it.
[Reply]
taltos 06:58 AM 01-28-2009
Carlos, as others have said, maybe it is just the winter cold season that is affecting you. I normally smoke 1 or 2 per day but this time of year I always get a mild case of bronchitis along with sinus infections. If I smoke 1 a week now it is a lot. Also got pneumonia this year and now haven't had one in over a week. Maybe you will find as do I that come Feb, you will feel better after smoking a cigar. Hope so for your peace of mind.
[Reply]
mash 07:10 AM 01-28-2009
I know you live in a nice climate. Do you ever smoke indoors? If you do, then another option is to move outside. You are breathing a lot of recirculated smoke that is potentially going to aggravate you if you are inside.
[Reply]
cbsmokin 07:24 AM 01-28-2009
My ultimate goal is one a week or so and eliminate that daily stuff.
Just thinking a break will be good until I can start that regimen.
Bingo! We have a winner. I am not a daily smoker and I can't see myself being a daily smoker either. I am mostly a fair weather smoker. I think if you just slow way down you will find a balance. Also, a great side affect is it makes aging your sticks a lot easier to accomplish.
[Reply]
Seanohue 04:49 PM 01-28-2009
I'm feeling the same way Carlos; I haven't bought cigars in a year and a half, I only smoke at herfs (the last one being in October), and I'm not logged into CA all day like I used to be. Could just be the winter blues for me though.
[Reply]
Stogieboy 06:06 PM 01-28-2009
To simply answer your question. NO! I'm no quitter. :-)
[Reply]
TheJ 01:49 AM 01-29-2009
I quit smoking cigars when the one I smoked went from $2.85 to $5.00.

My buddies and I used to go to the Dunhill store in Houston and get our first stick gratis. We'd buy another few and be good for a couple of weeks. I moved out of state and the next thing I knew they closed down.

I did a quick search and found the first price for that stick at $6.15.

I'm glad I quit when I did.

I'm all about the pipa now. (not a typo)
[Reply]
Stogieboy 11:37 AM 01-29-2009
Originally Posted by TheJ:
I quit smoking cigars when the one I smoked went from $2.85 to $5.00.

My buddies and I used to go to the Dunhill store in Houston and get our first stick gratis. We'd buy another few and be good for a couple of weeks. I moved out of state and the next thing I knew they closed down.

I did a quick search and found the first price for that stick at $6.15.

I'm glad I quit when I did.

I'm all about the pipa now. (not a typo)
The pipa?
[Reply]
No1der 12:30 PM 01-29-2009
Last time I recall feeling this way involved cigarettes.
That was 1987.
I use to smoke between one and two packs a day.
Gave it up cold turkey, never to look back.

I am starting to get the same feelings as I had for cigarettes.
Actually, starting is a bad word.
More like I have the same feelings.

I have only smoked three cigars so far this month, with the latest being yesterday. Prior to that, two weeks ago.

For me, that is rare as I can smoke as many as I want as I work from home and have great weather. Up to December, I was averaging between 1 to 2 a day. Suddenly, no mas.

I tried one yesterday. A Boli CE. Truly can say I enjoyed it. Just didn't seem to enjoy me. Spent the night coughing a bit. Feel like I have that bronchitis feeling again from when I was a kid. Just seems that all of a sudden, they don't go well with me.

All this bothers me as I truly enjoy cigars.
I enjoy getting together with folks and sharing cigars.
I enjoy the times when dad, my son and I enjoy a cigar together.
I think I am going to try to avoid them for a while and see how things go.
Maybe my body is telling me to back off and maybe I should listen.

Hope I can handle the St. Valentine's Day/Real Man Herf.
You know, TBH I go in spurts and I just don't let it get to me. If it pleases me to smoke 2 cigars a day every day then that's what I do. If I don't feel like smoking at all, even for weeks or months then I don't smoke.

My advice is to just not think about it or try to analyze it as cigars are for the purpose of pleasure and as soon as you try to factor other things into it you're no longer doing it for pleasure.

The tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version is to just go with the flow and whatever happens happens. Even if you never smoke another cigar in your life or smoke 5 cigars per day it's all OK.

Cheers,
Rob
[Reply]
TheJ 02:09 PM 01-29-2009
Originally Posted by Stogieboy:
The pipa?

pipa [1] sf
1 (de fumar) pipe
fumar en pipa, fumar una pipa to smoke a pipe
:-)
[Reply]
newcigarz 02:20 PM 01-29-2009
Carlos I am just feeling better this week. My chest congestion is cleared up and what I thought was the start to a sinus infection is gone. I have had a couple of cigars this week and all is good. I hope this helps.

One think that I have noticed since moving to Florida was that I was smoking more. How can you not when have such awesome weather. back in CT. I would really have to struggle with the idea of bundling up and firing up the heater to have a smoke. Now I go out in shorts in December and enjoy it. But I realized I do need to curb the qty. I have OCD so for me I have to come up with a schedule because then I will stick to it.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:24 PM 01-29-2009
Originally Posted by newcigarz:
Carlos I am just feeling better this week. My chest congestion is cleared up and what I thought was the start to a sinus infection is gone. I have had a couple of cigars this week and all is good. I hope this helps.

One think that I have noticed since moving to Florida was that I was smoking more. How can you not when have such awesome weather. back in CT. I would really have to struggle with the idea of bundling up and firing up the heater to have a smoke. Now I go out in shorts in December and enjoy it. But I realized I do need to curb the qty. I have OCD so for me I have to come up with a schedule because then I will stick to it.
I am fearing I have a bit of OCD also.
You hit the nail on the head as far as Florida living.
The weather is so nice with 80 degrees and sunny days that it is truly hard not to want to enjoy a cigar a day or more.
I haven't tried one this week so far since Sunday.
Haven't really thought of it other than when in this thread.
I am going to wait a bit more, perhaps until our herf.
My head congestion has cleared significantly.
No longer drawing crap from the back of my head.:-)
Chest feels better also.
[Reply]
Zoomschwortz 03:27 PM 01-29-2009
If you smoke less or not at all, you can still go to the Herfs and visit friends.

There is a BOTL that I see at Smokey Joe's every Tuesday night who, has found out that he has COPD (I think that is what it's called). He only smokes a couple cigars a week, if that, but he still enjoys meeting with his friends and we still enjoy seeing him.

Take care Carlos.
Ken
[Reply]
Blueface 04:03 PM 02-05-2009
Couldn't resist last Sunday and had one.
Been fine all week not longing for one.
I think I have this "weekend" stuff figured out so may not be a need to give it up completely.
Chest not 100% but certainly not reacting the way I did a few weeks ago.
I was able to tolerate this last cigar quite well that evening or next day.
[Reply]
neoflex 04:55 PM 02-05-2009
You may just have to take a break. I go through that every once in awhile and then I find myself taking a month or so off. Usually happens in the winter months when trying to smoke and enjoy a cigar seems to be a chore more than a form of relaxation. Once spring hits, sitting out back with a cigar BBQing with friends and family just feels right and I wonder what the hell I was thinking. Sometimes your body will fight it also telling you to either A) slow down or B) take a break. Sounds to me like you just need a break and not to totally part ways. If in your shoes I would take a month or so off and than work back into it enjoying 1 or 2 a week rather than a day. Keep it as a way to relax and a treat instead of a habit.
[Reply]
14holestogie 04:57 PM 02-05-2009
My wife considers me giving up cigars everytime the charge card bill shows up. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 05:00 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
My wife considers me giving up cigars everytime the charge card bill shows up. :-)
:-) and my wife is with his wife on this subject!!!
[Reply]
Da Klugs 05:08 PM 02-05-2009
Have stopped smoking when I get sick. Sometimes up to a week or so until the head and chest clear up. Personally, never really experienced anything like the cig symptoms.. goo in the lungs etc from cigars.

Hope its a lingering virus that passes for you Carlos.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up