Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>Have you ever considered giving up cigars?
Blueface 11:38 AM 01-26-2009
Last time I recall feeling this way involved cigarettes.
That was 1987.
I use to smoke between one and two packs a day.
Gave it up cold turkey, never to look back.

I am starting to get the same feelings as I had for cigarettes.
Actually, starting is a bad word.
More like I have the same feelings.

I have only smoked three cigars so far this month, with the latest being yesterday. Prior to that, two weeks ago.

For me, that is rare as I can smoke as many as I want as I work from home and have great weather. Up to December, I was averaging between 1 to 2 a day. Suddenly, no mas.

I tried one yesterday. A Boli CE. Truly can say I enjoyed it. Just didn't seem to enjoy me. Spent the night coughing a bit. Feel like I have that bronchitis feeling again from when I was a kid. Just seems that all of a sudden, they don't go well with me.

All this bothers me as I truly enjoy cigars.
I enjoy getting together with folks and sharing cigars.
I enjoy the times when dad, my son and I enjoy a cigar together.
I think I am going to try to avoid them for a while and see how things go.
Maybe my body is telling me to back off and maybe I should listen.

Hope I can handle the St. Valentine's Day/Real Man Herf.
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 11:41 AM 01-26-2009
You can quit on 2/15.
[Reply]
JKim 11:42 AM 01-26-2009
Carlos.. I think it's just your body telling you to slow down a bit. Re-visit later and I'm sure you'll find the enjoyment again.
[Reply]
Blueface 11:42 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
You can quit on 2/15.
Patrick,
Honestly, I think I may have already quit.:-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 11:42 AM 01-26-2009
I want to be a Real Man.
I suppose I can live vicariously through you, Carlos.:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 11:45 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by JKim:
Carlos.. I think it's just your body telling you to slow down a bit. Re-visit later and I'm sure you'll find the enjoyment again.
This is one of the toughest calls I have made in a while Ji but the feeling I had last night and even now is not fun.
I truly hope I can revisit it again in the future.
Hope it is not something permanent to prevent me from lighting up an occasional one.
Only time will tell.
[Reply]
JKim 11:45 AM 01-26-2009
Opens up new doors on what to bomb Carlos with!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/bubble-gum-cigars.htm

:-):-)
[Reply]
Blueface 11:45 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by JKim:
Opens up new doors on what to bomb Carlos with!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/bubble-gum-cigars.htm

:-):-)
:-):-):-)

Sure.
Let's give my dentist more business.
[Reply]
JKim 11:46 AM 01-26-2009
Carlos.. If you don't find satisfaction with cigars later.. I'm sure you'll find a suitable substitute. You could probably get that boat now with the money you'd save on cigars.

If it does happen. I hope it doesn't.. it'd be an interesting for sale thread. :].
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 11:47 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Patrick,

Not again....Image
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:48 AM 01-26-2009
I've only just started up in the last 12 months so I'm not there but I do worry about the health issues but not enough to stop any time soon. Like you, I really enjoy cigars, the hobby and the camaraderie. I've slipped pretty hard down the slope already, surprisingly quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if one day, like other hobbies I've started up in the past, my passion for it subsides some. Plus, we're having our first kid later in the year so I'm sure I won't have much time for it when Junior Reindeer comes along! Good luck to you and definitley listen to what your bod is tellin' ya. Maybe you do need a little break. Nice thing is if you find you're not really looking forward to that cigar now, you will if it's only once a month or less than that!
[Reply]
Blueface 11:48 AM 01-26-2009
Not again....Image
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 11:49 AM 01-26-2009
If you're not smoking, I guess you just saved me $ for not having to check an extra piece of luggage! :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 11:51 AM 01-26-2009
If you're not smoking, I guess you just saved me $ for not having to check an extra piece of luggage! :-)
Talk about a timely thread then.
That would have been ugly.

Gotta say it was hard for the first couple of weeks in January.
Yesterday's cigar was a "gee, why not light up a cigar" as opposed to a craving for one based on physical habit/needs.

Believe me, this is a struggle.
Not something I think I want to do but rather something I think I have to.
You know there is no way I can go with you guys on 2/14 and not smoke.
I will be a chain smoker that day but in the back of my mind, that concerns me.
That just may be the last day for good if I do enough of them to multiply the effect of what one did yesterday.
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 11:54 AM 01-26-2009
Talk about a timely thread then.
That would have been ugly.
Its still gonna be ugly...

Carlos...smoke a PAM and call me in the morning! :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 11:55 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
I've only just started up in the last 12 months so I'm not there but I do worry about the health issues but not enough to stop any time soon. Like you, I really enjoy cigars, the hobby and the camaraderie. I've slipped pretty hard down the slope already, surprisingly quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if one day, like other hobbies I've started up in the past, my passion for it subsides some. Plus, we're having our first kid later in the year so I'm sure I won't have much time for it when Junior Reindeer comes along! Good luck to you and definitley listen to what your bod is tellin' ya. Maybe you do need a little break. Nice thing is if you find you're not really looking forward to that cigar now, you will if it's only once a month or less than that!

:-) I know I started on the slope the month my son was born and I can tell you that I am down to 2 cigars a week when it's warm and less than that now in ther winter. I had 2 sticks this past Sunday and I loved them because I can't remember the last time I had the opportunity to do it. Take a break, read up on the posts here and the specials on certain sites and you will be craving a cigar like a madman. (At least I do).
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:56 AM 01-26-2009
Patrick,
you can still come to the herfs to enjoy the company of friends.

and maybe after some time you'll start to get back into your old habits and love cigars just as much as you did.
[Reply]
TripleF 12:01 PM 01-26-2009
I assume you're not inhaling.............

I believe the body reboots itself every now and again. People get colds that live in Florida and people who live up north go outside in a soaking wet towel to get the newspaper but don't catch a cold or pnuemonia.

People take vitamins like they're going outta style and get sick and people who smoke cigarettes don't always die from lung cancer......

I just think, you're body is changing the oil. Wait it out bro. :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 12:02 PM 01-26-2009
I am more likely to give up buying food than give up cigars. Oh wait I already do that now.
[Reply]
hotreds 12:02 PM 01-26-2009
You state you enjoy cigars. If there is not a health issue, why would you stop? No comprendo. Or is the cough you got scaring you? I can see if you didn't enjoy them anymore, or if your doctor said you had to stop, but I am baffled, frankly. Again, unless you are fearing for your health all of a sudden. And, no, I have never thought about quitting- then again I've been smoking for about five years- a great deal less than you, I gather.

You are a person I'd like to herf with, hombre, I hope that your fears are conquered- and are baseless- and you will be able to smoke happily and truly enjoy your stogies!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
Up