Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
All Cigar Discussion>Opus X ... Am I Missing Something
Dunkel 04:27 PM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by sammyboy405:
So heres what ive learned from everyones suggestions and comments.

1. Try it again.
2. Find a Poker :-)
3. Age is everything
4. If you have a choice between an Anejo and an Opus X, buy the Anejo! :-)
Fixed that for ya bro! LOL
[Reply]
sammyboy405 09:33 PM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
Fixed that for ya bro! LOL
LOL Ok Point taken Sounds like I need to Try one of those then. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 01:40 PM 11-29-2010
Smoking my first dud Opus X, so far this is really bad. I'm tempted to just chuck it. Perfect burn and draw but it tastes like crap. :-)

if I could describe the taste..... Shoe leather
[Reply]
retro_cigar 02:43 PM 11-30-2010
Do you know what size you smoked; I have narrowed my opus smoking sizes down to a few since they are to me; what opus are should smoke; taste an smell like. The no 2; double corona an petit lancero; but I do enjoy the power ranger time to time. I guess you have to smoke enough to know what you are getting. I smoke one or two a day. So when buying from shops sometimes; I can just smell the stick to see if its up to par. But, to be honest; when I first tried opus; I said "what the big hype"; took many years before my cigar taste matured to enjoy the opus cigar an the hidden power it holds.
[Reply]
nick2021 04:45 PM 11-30-2010
Had a Fuente Fuente OpusX from 1999 which was gifted to me...man was this a GREAT smoke! Better than the one ROTT...seems like the key to these cigars are rest...it was definitely DIFFERENT than the ROTT one I had...
[Reply]
retro_cigar 04:47 PM 11-30-2010
I smoked a 95' petit lancero pigtail the other night; actually did not enjoy it; I love my fresh opus. It was good; but not like a fresh one; lost it's kick'
[Reply]
Bill86 04:48 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by retro_cigar:
Do you know what size you smoked; I have narrowed my opus smoking sizes down to a few since they are to me; what opus are should smoke; taste an smell like. The no 2; double corona an petit lancero; but I do enjoy the power ranger time to time. I guess you have to smoke enough to know what you are getting. I smoke one or two a day. So when buying from shops sometimes; I can just smell the stick to see if its up to par. But, to be honest; when I first tried opus; I said "what the big hype"; took many years before my cigar taste matured to enjoy the opus cigar an the hidden power it holds.
I had a Double Corona a few months back that was divine. However I forgot what size this was somewhere around 48-50 ring X 5. It was awful....very bad.
[Reply]
klipsch 04:49 PM 11-30-2010
I said "what the big hype"; took many years before my cigar taste matured to enjoy the opus cigar an the hidden power it holds.
These have a hidden power?
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 04:54 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by klipsch:
The ability to turn you green! Smoked one with a couple years on it and I morphed green. Had to sit down... for a while. Lol
[Reply]
chippewastud79 04:56 PM 11-30-2010
I can just smell the stick to see if its up to par.
Can you teach us how to simply smell a stick and know if it is up to par? Does it tell you how good it will taste? :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 04:58 PM 11-30-2010
I smoked a 95' petit lancero pigtail the other night; actually did not enjoy it; I love my fresh opus. It was good; but not like a fresh one; lost it's kick'
This is odd, most people prefer rested/aged Opus. You smoke them ROTT/fresh?
[Reply]
retro_cigar 04:59 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Can you teach us how to simply smell a stick and know if it is up to par? Does it tell you how good it will taste? :-)
Opus have a certain aroma by smelling the cigar even not holding it directly to the nose; if you can smell it from a inch or two away; its going to be pretty dam good. If you have a few different sizes in your humidor; give it a try; you'll notice some are "faint" an some are "dead on" .

Hidden Power; munchies.
[Reply]
klipsch 05:03 PM 11-30-2010
Hidden Power; munchies.
No sa!
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:03 PM 11-30-2010
Opus have a certain aroma by smelling the cigar even not holding it directly to the nose; if you can smell it from a inch or two away; its going to be pretty dam good. If you have a few different sizes in your humidor; give it a try; you'll notice some are "faint" an some are "dead on" .
I wish I had the nose that knows how well a cigar will smoke purely based on smell. Would this be true for all cigars or just Opus X? :-)
[Reply]
retro_cigar 05:06 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
This is odd, most people prefer rested/aged Opus. You smoke them ROTT/fresh?
Love them fresh; I've smoked many well aged ones an yes they are a little refined; but I enjoy my O fresh. Since they have more of a kick in them; also that signature opus taste an aroma is always there when they are fresh; my personal opinion is that the ligero they are using; with age; weakens along with the aroma an taste. I do have a good stock of oldies; but I just don't enjoy them as much as the fresher ones'; yes fresh one might have a small burn issue; but I care less about little things like that.
[Reply]
retro_cigar 05:07 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
I wish I had the nose that knows how well a cigar will smoke purely based on smell. Would this be true for all cigars or just Opus X? :-)
When you smoke a certain cigar like people more a certain brand of cigarettes; you get the hand of it. I wouldn't be able to tell with another cigar brand.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:14 PM 11-30-2010
When you smoke a certain cigar like people more a certain brand of cigarettes; you get the hand of it. I wouldn't be able to tell with another cigar brand.
I think you may have the most unique nose in the cigar community to claim that you can tell how tasty a cigar will be purely based on smell. I have had plenty of cigars that smelled amazing and tasted less than OK and some that smelled like a barnyard that smoked amazing. Its a good thing you can tell which one will even be good before you even light it. :-)
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 05:18 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by klipsch:
The ability to turn you green! Smoked one with a couple years on it and I morphed green. Had to sit down... for a while. Lol
[Reply]
retro_cigar 05:20 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Almost puked last night with a double corona; seriously was trashed.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:04 PM 11-30-2010
I smoked a 5+ year old Petite Lancero the other night. It was OK, nothing spectacular. :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up