Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Opus X ... Am I Missing Something
sammyboy405 12:42 AM 11-21-2010
So I must be missing something. Alot of people told me Tons of good things about Opus X. So I bought 2 of them. I Smoked one tonight and I just wasn't happy with it. It was very tight. Hard to get any draw on it. And it smells wonderful but lacks in flavor.

other than the wonderful Aroma it has, I did enjoy the fact that it wasn't a very smoky cigar. Its one of the few cigars Ive smoked that didnt have alot of idle smoke to them.

Im not sure if its just me or not, but It didnt live of to the hype. From what I understand I did get a good deal on them price wise. 11.40 Each.

So am I missing something here or did I just get a bad rolled cigar?
[Reply]
Bill86 12:54 AM 11-21-2010
Yes you got a good deal, most people say Opus X need 6 months - a year minimum rest before they smoke good/right.

I would suggest letting them rest or buying aged Opus X.
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:11 AM 11-21-2010
Sounds like it was plugged.

Remember, a cigar is only as good as you want it to be. If you imagine the Opus X to be the most memorable experience of your life, you will probably end up disappointed.

I would try another, and don't expect too much from it. A cigar is just a cigar.
[Reply]
Dunkel 05:34 AM 11-21-2010
I've smoked a few Opus X's and don't see why people think they are so amazing. If I'm going smoke an AF I'd much rather have an Anejo.
[Reply]
Bax 05:37 AM 11-21-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Yes you got a good deal, most people say Opus X need 6 months - a year minimum rest before they smoke good/right.

I would suggest letting them rest or buying aged Opus X.
Age makes all the difference in the world with Opus. Had some wonderful aged ones but fresh are not for me.
[Reply]
brigey57 06:05 AM 11-21-2010
I smoked one several years ago and loved it but like Derrick said it's all in the frame of mind and anticipation of the smoke. I bought it and it was a very good smoke but was it worth the money I paid for it, I don't think so. For a few bucks less I think I have enjoyed better smokes. Give it some time, let the stick age, and try it again. If you still feel that the stick wasn't that good then maybe you need to avoid it in the future and find one that you enjoy more. JMHO :-)
[Reply]
Shemp Howard 06:09 AM 11-21-2010
IMO Opus X's are a status smoke. I have had a few and like most people think they might be a bit over priced. I won't go out of my way to buy one though. I perfer the Hemingways and Ashtons.
[Reply]
quantim0 06:31 AM 11-21-2010
I have a number of 06-07 Opus and a few new ones. The new ones don't even taste like the same stick as a new one. The new ones are too strong to let the complexity shine, with age that strength fades and you have a cigar that is tought to find a comparison to.
[Reply]
G G 06:34 AM 11-21-2010
I have only smoked one and am told it's hard to make a judgement on that, but I wasn't all that impressed either. I had a freind tell me a week or two ago that he smoked 17 of them before they were great to him.
[Reply]
TripleF 06:38 AM 11-21-2010
I know what you're thinking. I do. I smoked probably 15 or so over a 2.5 year time frame and was just never "WOWED". They didn't do anything for me.

Then one hit me just right and I've been a huge fan ever since.....

Now, I love 'em!

Hang in there, smoke a few more, enjoy the experience.......
[Reply]
AshesToAshes 06:58 AM 11-21-2010
Been smoking Opus Cigars for 10 years and they are a great cigar. People get confused about when to smoke these and as one of the brothers suggested if they aren't aged at least a year you won't find them to be as good as you think. I smoke most of mine at the 18 month mark and they are great. Not everyone is going to love this cigar because not everybody has the same taste. That just means more for me.
[Reply]
nick2021 07:35 AM 11-21-2010
I also heard age does wonders for OpusX...had the same situation as you experienced with one ROTT...was disappointed.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:44 AM 11-21-2010
Been smoking Opus X since they came out. Many of them are just too oily and burn really slow. I always thought since the release they were novelty. Who cares if it is a DR wrapper, big deal.

Don Carlos still "the" cigar line from Fuente which was their flagship before the Opus X was released.

All that bashing aside, when an Opus X is good, it can compete with the best cigars in the world for sure.
[Reply]
SSDVC 07:48 AM 11-21-2010
Whew !!!!!!!! I thought is was just me ! I had three and I was not impressed either. I have had better smokes for a lot less. And yes, one I know for sure was aged for about two years. I'm not a prolific smoker or connoisseur and I can't really put my finger on it, but I think the stick just lacked some flavor or something.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 07:50 AM 11-21-2010
IMO A plugged cigar has no chance of being good.
[Reply]
Bunker 07:55 AM 11-21-2010
I was a non-believer until I was bombed with some aged (1-2 year-old) smokes. The aged xXx was one of the best cigars I ever smoked CC or otherwise.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:04 AM 11-21-2010
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
I've smoked a few Opus X's and don't see why people think they are so amazing. If I'm going smoke an AF I'd much rather have an Anejo.
Totally agree with you Doug!!! :-)
[Reply]
neoflex 08:05 AM 11-21-2010
I hate these fresh but with 2 or 3 years of age they are fantastic. Some guys like them fresh but I think they need the down time to really reach their potential.
[Reply]
alwayslit 08:39 AM 11-21-2010
Opus need rest ROTT....imho. They have a tendency to be wet. If you dry box them for 48 to 72 hours your experience should be a lot better. If you have the time they get better with age.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:32 AM 11-21-2010
Originally Posted by Bax:
Age makes all the difference in the world with Opus. Had some wonderful aged ones but fresh are not for me.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
Up