Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Sports>Farve vs. Packers
icehog3 09:28 PM 11-01-2009
Best T-Shirt shot at the game:

"We Will Never Forget You Brent!". :-) :-)
[Reply]
King James 09:38 PM 11-01-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:

who is brent? :-)

:-) :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:45 PM 11-01-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
who is brent? :-)

:-) :-)
Exactly. :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:10 AM 11-02-2009
Although the Packers did miss some opportunities, I think one could argue that Brett beat them (or at least was the main reason for beating the Pack) I mean he did throw 4 TDs and didn't turn the ball over at all (I don't blame him for the botched snap)
DId Brett beat them? Packer d-line never pressured him all night. There was shoddy coverage on his receivers.

DId Brett play well? Yes, no doubt about it. But the Packer defense did not perform. Had they sacked him once or twice and this would have been a different game. Had the coverage been better, this was a different game.

If the Packer offense played as well in the first half as they did in the second half, this would have been a different game.

My point? While one man can make a difference in a football game, it is still a team effort. Put Brett in Packer jersey last night and the outcome would have been the same - A Viking victory. At the same time, put Rodgers in a Viking jersey - it it would have maybe been even worse for the Pack. With Brett as a Packer last night, he'd have been a hurting pup.
[Reply]
King James 09:39 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
DId Brett beat them? Packer d-line never pressured him all night. There was shoddy coverage on his receivers.

DId Brett play well? Yes, no doubt about it. But the Packer defense did not perform. Had they sacked him once or twice and this would have been a different game. Had the coverage been better, this was a different game.

If the Packer offense played as well in the first half as they did in the second half, this would have been a different game.

My point? While one man can make a difference in a football game, it is still a team effort. Put Brett in Packer jersey last night and the outcome would have been the same - A Viking victory. At the same time, put Rodgers in a Viking jersey - it it would have maybe been even worse for the Pack. With Brett as a Packer last night, he'd have been a hurting pup.
Im afraid we will have to agree to disagree.

Brett has an excellent sense of pocket pressure, and even at 40 yrs old has a good ability to move around in the pocket. If Rodgers was the QB for the Vikings, he would have been sacked probably 2-3 times last night when Favre was not.

On the other hand, although the Packers o-line is not the greatest this year.... of all the sacks last night at least 3 were Rodgers fault for not getting rid of the ball. Of the 14 sacks given up to the Vikings, I would say 8 at least are Rodgers own fault... he needs to learn how to get rid of the ball and/or step up in the pocket.

And as far as winning the game, both games this year the packers have contained adrian peterson very well. Last year, if that would have happened the vikings wouldn't have a had a chance. This year w/ Brett @ QB, they can win games when adrian peterson isn't having as good of a night. Yes it is a team effort, but I'm fairly comfortable in saying that the Vikings would not have beaten the Pack this year if Favre wasn't at QB.

And the coverage was actually pretty good last night. But Favre knows those guys and how they cover, and the man can just make throws and see things that other people can not.... slipping the ball in between 2 defenders and throwing when his feet are not set.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:54 AM 11-02-2009
True, Peterson didn't have the huge yards he racked up against the Pack last season. But, just under 100 yds rushing, 40+ receiving, and a TD isn't exactly a sub-par performance. I think he could've gone higher, but with Rice and Harvin catching everything in the same zip code, grinding the run wasn't a necessity.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:58 AM 11-02-2009
On the other hand, although the Packers o-line is not the greatest this year.... of all the sacks last night at least 3 were Rodgers fault for not getting rid of the ball. Of the 14 sacks given up to the Vikings, I would say 8 at least are Rodgers own fault... he needs to learn how to get rid of the ball and/or step up in the pocket.
Agree. Rodgers needs to learn to get rid of the ball faster. He seems to be looking for the big play rather than tossing a screen pass for a few yards.
[Reply]
King James 12:17 PM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
True, Peterson didn't have the huge yards he racked up against the Pack last season. But, just under 100 yds rushing, 40+ receiving, and a TD isn't exactly a sub-par performance. I think he could've gone higher, but with Rice and Harvin catching everything in the same zip code, grinding the run wasn't a necessity.
Posted via Mobile Device
He had one big run, but if you watched the game he was getting contained very well. His 1 yd TD run was setup by a 77 yd return by Harvin. And I'm not sure what you mean by huge numbers last year. I think I have replied before in this thread that AP has never had a multi-TD game against the packers.

In the first game last year he had 103 rushing yds, 34 of which came on one big run.

In the second game he had alot of yards, but got his TD on a long run, and helped setup a short TD pass.

The guy is the best running back in the league, and the Packers for whatever reason have consistently contained him better than many other teams is all I'm saying, so by no means take it as an insult against AP
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 03:23 PM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Where has Rodgers ever made you think that? Of all the people involved in the whole Favre debacle when he un-retired and went to the Jets - up to the interviews with him for this game - Rodgers has been very gracious and tight-lipped (not bashing Brett in any way). He has also been very good to take his lumps and criticisms with good grace and honesty.

I won't bash Favre. I think both sides were handled the whole situation wrongly.

However, if Brett were on the Green Bay side of the ball tonight, I'm not sure he'd be standing. I also think that the dark side that is Brett Favre would have reared the ugly interception head.

It was a fun game to be at.

The Packers lost - Bret didn't beat them. You can blame part of that on coaching and play-calling. If you watched the game, you know what I mean.
Rev,

The statement from me that you high-lited was in reference to the game in MN, not this past week-end. Also I never said that Rogers said anything about Brett. Based on comments he made earlier in the year about his ability to play, I stated that in time he would be one of the greats, and that his problem now is that he believes he already is!

I watched the game closely and know exactly what you mean. Personally, I believe no matter who was the quarterback for GB this passed weekend, they would have lost! GB management is so F--- U- over their quarterback situation and the Brett Favre issue, that they have forgotten about the rest of the players & positions!

As far as bad calls, I am referring mostly to MN. The coach had his head up his Ass. If he would have started to pass 2/3 of the time, instead of running up the center somewhere between the tackles 2/3 of the time, MN would have easily had 2 or 3 more TDs!
[Reply]
icehog3 10:22 PM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:

[Reply]
icehog3 10:26 PM 11-02-2009
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:21 AM 11-03-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Rev,

The statement from me that you high-lited was in reference to the game in MN, not this past week-end. Also I never said that Rogers said anything about Brett. Based on comments he made earlier in the year about his ability to play, I stated that in time he would be one of the greats, and that his problem now is that he believes he already is!
And see, I have not heard or seen aything like that out of him. All I have seen, heard, and read is very humble - as he claims, "I'm a work in progress."

I have heard his confidence come around, and it better have, for if you go out there thinking you're no good - then you don't belong on the field.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:31 AM 11-03-2009
Can you imagine all the brouhaha when Rodgers is MNs backup QB next year?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up