Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Sports>Favre to Stay Retired
King James 11:49 AM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:

{whispers} and for the record, he's never been that great of a QB anyways. The guy holds the record for interceptions and has been known to be a choke artist. {/whispers}
I guess those TD and Yard records and never missing a game don't count for anything.... or all those MVPs :-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 11:54 AM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
I guess those TD and Yard records and never missing a game don't count for anything.... or all those MVPs :-)
Yep, can't blame a guy wanting ALL the passing records. :-)

I'm sure his attempts to interceptions ratio isn't anywhere near the worst in history, either. :-)
[Reply]
coastietech 12:03 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
If you play longer than anyone else in the game your bound to break a record or two. Hell he's been in the league for what seems like 30 years I would hope he had a few records.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 12:05 PM 08-18-2009
If you play longer than anyone else in the game your bound to break a record or two. Hell he's been in the league for what seems like 30 years I would hope he had a few records.
That seems to short his career just a tad don't you think :-)
[Reply]
Ken 12:24 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by :
and has been known to be a choke artist
I'm a big Favre fan, though I do not mind at all people being annoyed the last couple of years and not wanting to hear of the guy for 5 more years, but there are just some ridiculous comments. The guy is one of the top leaders in comebacks. The year Rhodes was the HC Favre had a 4th qtr comeback every other game.
[Reply]
coastietech 12:36 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Ken:
I'm a big Favre fan, though I do not mind at all people being annoyed the last couple of years and not wanting to hear of the guy for 5 more years, but there are just some ridiculous comments. The guy is one of the top leaders in comebacks. The year Rhodes was the HC Favre had a 4th qtr comeback every other game.
I wasn't talking about individual games... I was talking seasons. Hell look at the Jets season last year. We had a great season in the beginning and middle of the season. The end of the season Favre looked like crap and blew our playoff chance. That isn't the first year that has happened to Favre.

I'm not saying he's a bad QB, I'm saying I don't think he is great. I think he is mediocre and that the reason he holds the records he does is because of the amount of time he has in the league. I think people are crazy to put him in the same category as "great" QB's like Montana, Young, Johnny U, Joe Willie, or Dan Marino.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 12:37 PM 08-18-2009
I wasn't talking about individual games... I was talking seasons. Hell look at the Jets season last year. We had a great season in the beginning and middle of the season. The end of the season Favre looked like crap and blew our playoff chance. That isn't the first year that has happened to Favre.

I'm not saying he's a bad QB, I'm saying I don't think he is great. I think he is mediocre and that the reason he holds the records he does is because of the amount of time he has in the league. I think people are crazy to put him in the same category as "great" QB's like Montana, Young, Johnny U, Joe Willie, or Dan Marino.
:-)
are the Jets a one man team?
[Reply]
coastietech 12:41 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
are the Jets a one man team?
QB's often make or break a team. That's nothing new.
[Reply]
King James 12:47 PM 08-18-2009
Dan Marino.
Brett beat Dan Marino for all the records, and I think Marino played like 15 seasons. Not to mention Favre broke the records when still a Packer 2 years ago....so the whole playing all these more games kinda gets tossed out the window.

And Favre has a ring, since the QB is the one who "makes or breaks" the team, I guess that would put him better than Marino as well? :-)

[Reply]
Genetic Defect 12:49 PM 08-18-2009
is that a yes or no?
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:57 PM 08-18-2009
And for a long time Brett Farve has made a team, not broken it. :-)
[Reply]
coastietech 01:20 PM 08-18-2009
QB's can often make or break a team. QB is the most important position on the team. Any one who says differently doesn't watch much football. Are there exceptions? Of course. As much as a QB can make or break a team if the QB has no team he can't always excel. Such is the case with Dan Marino. Marino broke all the records and very rarely had a contender team. I hate the Dolphins but as a football fan I have to admit that Marino was one of the best. Had Marino played on a team that could support his skill he would have a ring.

Favre played on a team that made him look better than he was. Much like Emmitt Smith looked better on the Cowboys then he would have elsewhere.

I equate Favre to Emmitt Smith, a player that looked better than he was because of his team, and Marino to Barry Sanders a player that shined and was one of the best despite his lack of team support.
[Reply]
Kreth 01:23 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
And for a long time Brett Farve has made a team, not broken it. :-)
The Jets might disagree with that...
[Reply]
coastietech 01:24 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 01:51 PM 08-18-2009
As much as I dislike the whole retired untired thing Favre has been doing, I do think he is the greatest QB of all time :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 02:28 PM 08-18-2009
Cliff notes; the Jets suck and didn't have a supporting team for Favre
[Reply]
Ken 02:44 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Anybody remember the surgery he had because he tore his arm up during the middle of the and kept playing. The Jets players loved having him because he brought back the fun in the game for them. But yeah, last part of the season was pretty rough.

And Favre does have that tendency to force plays when nothing else seems to be working, so when you hire that guy you understand the pos vs neg that come with his style of play.
[Reply]
coastietech 03:45 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
Cliff notes; the Jets suck and didn't have a supporting team for Favre
Huh?!?:-) We had one of the best offensive lines in football during 2008, he had Cotchery, Coles, Baker, and Brad Smith, all of which are above avg WR's. The only thing that we didn't really have is a running game, but even that was avg once Leon Washington was in. We were playoff contenders. We were 7-4, with a 5 game winning streak, going into week 13 and had done everything but secure a playoff spot, till Favre became a train wreck.

So what was this about a supporting team? Do you even watch football?
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 05:27 PM 08-18-2009
Huh?!?:-) We had one of the best offensive lines in football during 2008, he had Cotchery, Coles, Baker, and Brad Smith, all of which are above avg WR's. The only thing that we didn't really have is a running game, but even that was avg once Leon Washington was in. We were playoff contenders. We were 7-4, with a 5 game winning streak, going into week 13 and had done everything but secure a playoff spot, till Favre became a train wreck.

So what was this about a supporting team? Do you even watch football?
:-) above avg according to a blind fan
[Reply]
ucla695 07:39 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
I believe it when I don't see him suited up in several seasons.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up