Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Nica Libre
Blueface 06:29 AM 03-30-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
The Principe is what I had and was blown away, considering the price - maybe this is their standout size.

Still no info on the cigar though, some have said its an AJ Fernandez...anyone?
Will give the Principe a shot today as seems dad really enjoyed it yesterday.
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:38 AM 03-30-2010
After checking out the sizes I believe I had the Principe. (4.5" x 46)
Checking on the blender, now.
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:51 AM 03-30-2010
According to this sight it is AJ Fernandez.
http://robustojoe.com/cigar-blends

Here's a cached page (no longer live) from cigar.com
“The tale of the tape…”
When Cigar.com billed the Nica Libre as an alternative to the Padron Anniversary maduro, I just had to see this for myself. I mean, how could a $2 cigar stand up to an icon of cigar supremacy costing four times that amount? Was this a case of David vs. Goliath in the valley of Jalapa? Upon learning that Abdel (A.J.) Fernandez was the brain behind the Nica Libre blend, I promptly ordered a box. I have enjoyed everything AJ has created from the Padilla Habano to the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, and felt I had nothing to lose by getting a box of the Libre, sight unseen, especially at $2/stick.

This sampler also indicates that AJ is the blender
A.J. Fernandez Dirty Dozen Sampler (12 Cigars) $29.95

I have found nothing to the contrary of AJ being the blender.

I am telling you AJ Fernandez is following the footsteps of DPG. JMHO of course.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:23 AM 03-30-2010
OK,
Let's do an INTERACTIVE review.

Just had the Principe.
I must admit, DAY AND NIGHT difference from the Exclusivo.
While the Exclusivo made me want to put it out right away, although I didn't, this one was quite enjoyable.
Was it worth $2? Heck yeah. Will I ever pay more than $2? Not much more than that and will show you why and you decide for yourself. Those that know me know I can cradle a cigar for ages. While most smoke two and three, I am still on one. This cigar took me all of just a mere 22 minutes. Not sure what others have gotten and would be interested to hear.

This one did not have that strange bitter after taste as the Exclusivo did. It did arise about half way through but was quite mild and didn't turn me off. What did not impress me was the lack of quality in the construction. Perhaps I am unlucky. Perhaps I am too demanding. Either way, this one and two others I have yet to smoke have a lot to be desired with construction.

No doubt thus far, the Principe is the one I will gladly do again and hope for better construction. The Exclusivo will be left for the rest of you.

P.S.
Enjoy the pool.:-)

Severe void
[Reply]
Blueface 07:26 AM 03-30-2010

4 minutes

6 minutes

14 minutes
[Reply]
Blueface 07:27 AM 03-30-2010
16 minutes

18 minutes

20 minutes

The end
[Reply]
Volt 07:28 AM 03-30-2010
You fond the Nl the same way I do. Your just better with the review :-). I would like it for $5 - $6 a stick, at ~$2.00 it's a definite keeper.

Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Well after putting the little one to bed wasn't sure I'd have the time but forged ahead and plucked the smallest one, a robusto size I guess. I didn't have high expectations based on other reviews here but I've heard that AJ Fernandez was the blender (Man O' War, Diesel etc) so you never know so the stick could be anything.

PRELIGHT- Smell was nothing spectacular and it was a little spongy but often when I get cigars from CI they seem a little wet so whatever. Look of the construction seemed good to very good with and very EZ draw.

LIGHT- Light had a hint of spice/nut and was intrigued on first taste as was pretty much the first 5 mins. Had a lot of very creamy smoke and realized there was some depth to this cigar.

THE REST- the rest of the cigar went from creamy richness choco/coffee/nut with just a hint of spice and rotated those flavors at random.

CONCLUSION - I thoroughly enjoyed and in fact LOVED this cigar and for me compared with many $8-10 cigars. It never got hot until the very end. The only down side was that I did notice the back of the throat thing but lasted for just a moment or two so not to big of a minus at all. For me it gets a solid A and when you factor in the $2 price tag maybe a little higher. If all the cigars in the pack are like this one it's a BIG win, highly recommend.

[Reply]
Blueface 07:47 AM 03-30-2010
P.S.
Just want to add that I personally feel it is an injustice to both companies to compare this cigar to a Padron Anniversary.
It sets a very high bar it can't compete with.
I can understand why folks make the comparison given the band, the shape, the shade and the manufacturer's marketing (all same vitola as Padron named the same as Padron Annis).
It is like Shop Rite cola v. Coke. They are both cola. That is it.
Never the less, I will pick up some more Principes as you just can't beat that price.

However, the Principe, standing on its own right, was an enjoyable smoke and certainly a great value at $2. Again, not sure what has happened to me and if the norm but 3 out of 5 in the pack have significant voids in the middle as shown in the above photos. For that reason (coupled with how fast this burned on me), I can't see spending $5-6 as some have said they would pay. To me, there is a reason why a Principe from Padron is around $10 and I am willing to pay for that difference. Some may not. Some may not be able to even if they wanted to. That is all personal.

As I always say and always follow..............don't take anyone's word. Try it yourself and if you like it, so may it be.
So far, of the two vitolas I have tried, praise for the Principe for flavor and enjoyment while to hell with the Exclusivo which I will never try again, not even if they sold them at $1.
[Reply]
OHRD 07:59 AM 03-30-2010
Great details Blueface! Thanks for the info; I also had a fast burn, but not quite that fast. And mine was also spongy like yours, though more at the foot than in the middle...
[Reply]
kenstogie 09:01 AM 03-30-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
P.S.
Just want to add that I personally feel it is an injustice to both companies to compare this cigar to a Padron Anniversary.
It sets a very high bar it can't compete with.
I can understand why folks make the comparison given the band, the shape, the shade and the manufacturer's marketing (all same vitola as Padron named the same as Padron Annis).
It is like Shop Rite cola v. Coke. They are both cola. That is it.
Never the less, I will pick up some more Principes as you just can't beat that price.

However, the Principe, standing on its own right, was an enjoyable smoke and certainly a great value at $2.
don't take anyone's word. Try it yourself and if you like it, so may it be.
So far, of the two vitolas I have tried, praise for the Principe for flavor and enjoyment while to hell with the Exclusivo which I will never try again, not even if they sold them at $1.
i agree with Blueface that comparing with a Padron is setting yourself up for failure, but they wanted a way to market them so that's why they did it I presume.

I also agree with Blue like what YOU like not what someone else likes. One GREAT way to do this would be to do blind (no bands) reviews. You will learn quickly that some cigars are just overpriced and some cigars are underpriced based on YOUR taste.

I am thinking of trying the Exclusio next to see if it is that much of a difference.

Cheers!
[Reply]
Blueface 09:10 AM 03-30-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
i agree with that comparing with a Padron is setting yourself up for failure, but they wanted a wat to market them so that's why they did it I presume.

I also agree like what you like not what someone else likes. One GREAT way to do this would be to do blind (no bands) reviews. You will learn quickly that some cigars are just overpriced and some cigars are underpriced.

I am thinking of trying the Exclusio next to see if it is that much of a difference.
Go ahead and do that Exclusivo as I would really be interested in knowing if I just got two bad ones. With ours, both dad and I immediately looked at each other wondering what the heck was that when we first tasted the awful after taste. I couldn't even finish the cigar due to the bad itch it developed in my throat.

I am game for a challenge and will definitely eventually pick up some Padron Principes and some more Nica Libre Principes and do a side by side.

HOWEVER, I am not nor have ever been a "casual" Padron Anni smoker. I have instead been the ultimate whore for any of their vitolas. Having smoked them very, very regularlyy (almost bordering on excessively) since their creation in 1994, I assure you I already know what the outcome will be. I have had my own personal account directly with Padron with a discount since the early 90's. To my pallate, Padron Annis have a very unique profile I don't pick up with any other cigars.

I don't think the Annis are overpriced at all given what goes into making them. I personally feel I am getting a great value. In comparison, overpriced to me is a Graycliff at TWICE the price of an average Anni. As to these Nica Libre being cheap, I bet that is a temporary marketing thing to get them exposed. Can't imagine them staying at that price.
[Reply]
Volt 09:18 AM 03-30-2010
As a true Anni wh0re you may be a bad person for the comparison. I think with the amount of 64 Annis I have smoked they are worth the $$ spent on them, problem is I just can't aford them excwept for rare ocassions and even worse now as the SCHIP has really run some of the prices up.. So for me the NL is a good get by. I have not smoked the Exclusivo, so I'll try to hunt one down myself and see if I find a diff as you did.

Go ahead and do that Exclusivo as I would really be interested in knowing if I just got two bad ones. With ours, both dad and I immediately looked at each other wondering what the heck was that when we first tasted the awful after taste. I couldn't even finish the cigar due to the bad itch it developed in my throat.

I am game for a challenge and will definitely eventually pick up some Padron Principes and some more Nica Libre Principes and do a side by side.

HOWEVER, I am not nor have ever been a "casual" Padron Anni smoker. I have instead been the ultimate whore for any of their vitolas. Having smoked them very, very regularlyy (almost bordering on excessively) since their creation in 1994, I assure you I already know what the outcome will be. I have had my own personal account directly with Padron with a discount since the early 90's. To my pallate, Padron Annis have a very unique profile I don't pick up with any other cigars.

I don't think the Annis are overpriced at all given what goes into making them. I personally feel I am getting a great value. In comparison, overpriced to me is a Graycliff at TWICE the price of an average Anni. As to these Nica Libre being cheap, I bet that is a temporary marketing thing to get them exposed. Can't imagine them staying at that price.

[Reply]
Blueface 06:46 AM 03-31-2010
Going to light up the Torpedo later today and review as well.

Just noticed, we can no longer call these a $2 cigar.
Cheapest box now on CI is $50 for the Principe.
The Torpedo tops the list at $65.
They come in boxes of 20.

So...............simple math, these pups have now graduated to the $2.50 to $3.00+ range.
While still a good value, I suspect they will not last in that range either and will creep up further.
[Reply]
OHRD 06:50 AM 03-31-2010

So...............simple math, these pups have now graduated to the $2.50 to $3.00+ range.
While still a good value, I suspect they will not last in that range either and will creep up further.
You can still get the Principe at Cigar.com for $50 with a freebie 5 pack, so 25 for $50: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:52 AM 03-31-2010

Good, Let us know on the Torpedo. I suspect your right. They originally went for like $80 a box as I recall and will be there soon when word gets out.
[Reply]
Blueface 06:58 AM 03-31-2010
You can still get the Principe at Cigar.com for $50 with a freebie 5 pack, so 25 for $50: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745
I don't think so.
Just checked that site and pretty comparable to CI in prices.
The 5 pack is available on both for $20 but heck if I want all sizes again with my Exclusivo experience.
[Reply]
OHRD 07:00 AM 03-31-2010
I don't think so.
Just checked that site and pretty comparable to CI in prices.
The 5 pack is available on both for $20 but heck if I want all sizes again with my Exclusivo experience.
Principe, 4.5 x 46: Box of 20 w/ Freebie: $49.95
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745
[Reply]
Blueface 07:16 AM 03-31-2010
Principe, 4.5 x 46: Box of 20 w/ Freebie: $49.95
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=745
:-):-):-)

Holy Crap!
I just realized, I thought you said $.50.
[Reply]
OHRD 07:18 AM 03-31-2010
:-):-):-)

Holy Crap!
I just realized, I thought you said $.50.
Don't worry, I'm used to no one listening to me - my wife does an excellent job of it!
[Reply]
kaelaria 07:28 AM 03-31-2010
Don't forget these are regularly on the daily deals SUPER cheap too.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up