Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
General Discussion>Have you ever considered giving up cigars?
bobarian 01:00 PM 01-26-2009
The reason to smoke cigars is for enjoyment and relaxation. If they no longer give you that pleasure, then it may be time for a break. Take a 30 or 60 day break and see what your body tells you. But attending herf's and seeing old friends hopefully still fit in with your plans. I can imagine stopping smoking(I think I may for Lent) but I cannot see ever not seeing the friends I have made in the past year. They are among my very best friends even though I have only know them for a very short time.
[Reply]
ucla695 01:10 PM 01-26-2009
I’ve never really considered it. I’ve been smoking cigars since the mid 90’s and took a break for several years somewhere in between, but my passion was quickly rekindled. I can go weeks without having a cigar, but I always look forward to the next one. Since this thing of ours is supposed to be pleasurable, I’d take some time off and see where it takes you.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 01:10 PM 01-26-2009
Hey Carlos, no big deal if you decide to quit. I stopped for almost 3 years and simply just lost intrest for a while. I let the humidors die and packed everything away. I would suggest you keep all of your goodies stored in a nice place though "just in case". You never know how you'll feel about it after you've had your time away from the hobby. Rebuilding an existing collection is so much easier than deciding you miss it and have to start from the ground up.

Here's to your health and well-being my friend!
[Reply]
rizzle 01:13 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
This is one of the toughest calls I have made in a while Ji but the feeling I had last night and even now is not fun.
I truly hope I can revisit it again in the future.
Hope it is not something permanent to prevent me from lighting up an occasional one.
Only time will tell.
Maybe it's another kidney stone.
:-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 01:16 PM 01-26-2009
Only when i look in my wallet lol.

Honestly, not really I find it relaxing it's not anywhere as bad to my wallet as other hobbies. I really enjoy it it's social at times private at others always enjoyable.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:20 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by newcigarz:
Carlos I think You nailed it right here. The last wave of colds that ran through my house sent everyone to the doctors. Each doctor prescribed an antibiotic and Mucinex. My wife and I still have lingering coughs, remember I started right around when we met Ji in MIami. I have thoroughly enjoyed my last few cigars but have paid the price the next day.
Tony,
That may be it for me also then.
The coughing the next day really makes me not want one again for a while.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:21 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Maybe it's another kidney stone.
Say it ain't so.:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Nick 01:42 PM 01-26-2009
I gave up cigars for pipes, but I can't see myself giving up my pipe anytime soon. Cigars did seem to affect me more the next day than pipes do. I can smoke 3 or 4 bowls in one day and the next day I feel like 100 dollars. Of course I don't inhale at all, I don't know if you do.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 02:59 PM 01-26-2009
I thought about it once or twice, and now that I'm enjoying the pipe so much I don't see myself smoking that much. However, I've realized that every once in a while I desire a cigar or three, and now they'll just be that much older when I get to em :-)

for that reason, I will still pick up a box here and there. That way, when I'm smoking the last cigar from the box, it'll be 15-20 years old
[Reply]
architeuthis 03:05 PM 01-26-2009
I'm not gonna give up cigars ever... Squid® has even made arrangements to be buried with my cigars! <G>
[Reply]
hotreds 03:16 PM 01-26-2009
I understand, Carlos. What's the point of making yourself sick? Even if it is simply a basic cough and uncomfortable feeling. Hopefully it is just the aftermath of your cold. Or, perhaps, it IS your body rebelling after all these years. You are wise to step back and assess the situation. ¡ Buena suerte! Hope it turns out to be a total false alarm. I enjoy my hour or so a day that I sit back with a drink and a cigar and watch something I taped. ¡Adelante!
[Reply]
macpappy 04:15 PM 01-26-2009
I went through a period of three months where I had this nagging bronchial infection that just wouldn't go away. I smoked maybe one cigar a month and didn't feel that good the next day.

Three months later and I'm back up to 1 or 2 a week and enjoying them and not regretting it the next day. Maybe you just need a little break.
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:12 PM 01-26-2009
Carlos,

1) Take Epicor
2) Put down the crack pipe.

[Reply]
Made in Dade 05:46 PM 01-26-2009
Appropriate wording would be "use to" have several boxes of Sublimes.Those days are long gone.
You came along too late.:-)

I am not leaving.
No goodbyes damn it!!!

Will smoke up a storm with you guys on 2/14 and then go back to hibernation for a while to give peace a chance.:-)
Who knows, in three weeks, I may spend all day smoking on 2/14 and feel completely fine after that.
And they were damn good too.
[Reply]
newcigarz 05:49 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Made in Dade:
And they were damn good too.
Mikey stuck around even after they were gone. :-)
[Reply]
Made in Dade 05:54 PM 01-26-2009
Last time I recall feeling this way involved cigarettes.
That was 1987.
I use to smoke between one and two packs a day.
Gave it up cold turkey, never to look back.

I am starting to get the same feelings as I had for cigarettes.
Actually, starting is a bad word.
More like I have the same feelings.

I have only smoked three cigars so far this month, with the latest being yesterday. Prior to that, two weeks ago.

For me, that is rare as I can smoke as many as I want as I work from home and have great weather. Up to December, I was averaging between 1 to 2 a day. Suddenly, no mas.

I tried one yesterday. A Boli CE. Truly can say I enjoyed it. Just didn't seem to enjoy me. Spent the night coughing a bit. Feel like I have that bronchitis feeling again from when I was a kid. Just seems that all of a sudden, they don't go well with me.

All this bothers me as I truly enjoy cigars.
I enjoy getting together with folks and sharing cigars.
I enjoy the times when dad, my son and I enjoy a cigar together.
I think I am going to try to avoid them for a while and see how things go.
Maybe my body is telling me to back off and maybe I should listen.

Hope I can handle the St. Valentine's Day/Real Man Herf.
This sucks to hear Carlos. Just take a couple weeks off and I'm sure you will feel better. We have too much fun smokin cigars with you.
[Reply]
omowasu 08:25 PM 01-26-2009
Man, Carlos, I know the feeling, about a year and a half ago, my allergies started acting up while puffing - for no reason, mind you - and it got progressively worse. There was no reason, no rationale, it just happened. And I didnt puff for a month or two... But I missed the stogies too much and eventually fired one up in the car on the way home from work, and my interest was rekindled.

The allergies subsided a bit, but I took the attitude of "smoke less, and smoke better". Ironically, the recent smoking bans have somewhat reinforced this - I couldnt smoke more than I do even if I wanted to. Winter doesnt help around here either...

On the bright side, I am enjoying much better sticks less frequently, and spending less to boot!
[Reply]
lenguamor 09:13 PM 01-26-2009
Me cago en diez. Now I've heard it all. :-)

Sometimes my body lets me know it's not interested in having cigar smoke invade it. I always listen to my body, and I'll lay off until the thought of smoking one appeals to me. Then I do, and usually - 9 times out of 10 - it pleases me tremendously.

Just give yourself a rest, Carlos.

Don't make me stop the car.
[Reply]
AAlmeter 10:13 PM 01-26-2009
Last time I recall feeling this way involved cigarettes.
That was 1987.
I use to smoke between one and two packs a day.
Gave it up cold turkey, never to look back.

I am starting to get the same feelings as I had for cigarettes.
Actually, starting is a bad word.
More like I have the same feelings.

I have only smoked three cigars so far this month, with the latest being yesterday. Prior to that, two weeks ago.

For me, that is rare as I can smoke as many as I want as I work from home and have great weather. Up to December, I was averaging between 1 to 2 a day. Suddenly, no mas.

I tried one yesterday. A Boli CE. Truly can say I enjoyed it. Just didn't seem to enjoy me. Spent the night coughing a bit. Feel like I have that bronchitis feeling again from when I was a kid. Just seems that all of a sudden, they don't go well with me.

All this bothers me as I truly enjoy cigars.
I enjoy getting together with folks and sharing cigars.
I enjoy the times when dad, my son and I enjoy a cigar together.
I think I am going to try to avoid them for a while and see how things go.
Maybe my body is telling me to back off and maybe I should listen.

Hope I can handle the St. Valentine's Day/Real Man Herf.
I think quitting is beneficial.

I haven't smoked with regularity since 2004-2005 (somewhere in that range). The few cigars I have now, I truly enjoy for the great pleasures they bring outside of the flavors.

As life turns another page, I'll find myself reverting to once again relying on the pleasures of the different flavors, isolating them, and enhancing those I like in the selection of what I smoke. With that, I'll increase the the frequency of my smoking.

It's all cyclical. Its natural for you, or anyone, to go through peaks and valleys in hobbies and pleasures. Enjoy every aspect of it as much as you can.

And as far as smoking buddies, hell, you could light up a cremosa and they'd stick by your side (with a small breathing distance of course). Its about the people and what the bring to the table, not the sticks. I haven't been what I would consider an active cigar smoker for years, yet there are at least 2 or 3 people on these boards who still acknowledge me.
[Reply]
Blueface 06:14 AM 01-28-2009
Well, hump day is here.
Haven't had one since Sunday.
When looking back at the last quarter of last year, no way I could have done that. I longed for at least one a day.

Easy week so far as no cravings.
I do feel my chest a whole lot better than I did on Monday.
That lingering head congestion seems to have cleared up.
My goal is to make it through the next two weekends and see how the herf goes on 2/14, then see if I can stay away for a bit more as planned.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up