Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>quitting cigs, keeping cigars?
qwerty1500 10:54 AM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Do any of you ex-smokers now find cigarettes to be vile and disgusting? I still get the urge to smoke once in a while, but I can no longer stand the smell and a dirty cigarette ashtray just seems to disgust me now. It seems wierd as I used to love cigarettes (two packs a day).
I know that a lot of ex-smokers seem to develop this reaction. I came to dislike the smell of cigarettes and that is one of the reasons I quit. My attitude changed a few months after I quit. Now, they really don't seem to smell all that bad to me and I sort of like to stand downwind from a cigarette smoker. Strange huh?
[Reply]
The Professor 11:00 AM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
I know that a lot of ex-smokers seem to develop this reaction. I came to dislike the smell of cigarettes and that is one of the reasons I quit. My attitude changed a few months after I quit. Now, they really don't seem to smell all that bad to me and I sort of like to stand downwind from a cigarette smoker. Strange huh?
not too strange. it doesn't bother me that much, either. and I still get cravings every now and then.
[Reply]
Vitis 11:22 AM 01-04-2009
Thank you all for this great an inspirational post. Quiting cigarettes is my resolution for 09 as well and its awesome to realize that you're are not alone in this. I have been stressed about quiting and continuing to smoke cigars but am inspired by some of the posts here. Thanks for the topic and good luck to all.
[Reply]
floydpink 01:05 PM 01-04-2009
4 days strong for me...... not a cig and boy do those cigars seem better.:-)

Not getting over confident yet, but this time feels different than the other dozen attempts.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 01:12 PM 01-04-2009
You can do this brother... I have had you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm telling you... I loved smoking cigarettes like you would not believe. Once I finally made up my mind I was done it really wasn't that bad. It has only been 7 months, but I can honestly say I don't have any cravings for cigarettes.
[Reply]
ashmaster 01:50 PM 01-04-2009
Originally Posted by Vitis:
Thank you all for this great an inspirational post. Quiting cigarettes is my resolution for 09 as well and its awesome to realize that you're are not alone in this. I have been stressed about quiting and continuing to smoke cigars but am inspired by some of the posts here. Thanks for the topic and good luck to all.
I was fairly stressed and admittedly scared when it came to quitting, I didn't want to fail. This was especially true the last couple days leading up to my target date. When I quit, I used this to my advantage and to make myself stronger. I kept challenging myself not to let this thing beat me. I really wanted to quit. The worst part for me was the second day and the first weekend away from work (as I don't have a significant other half). I changed a couple of things in my daily lifestyle to help. Bottom line, I WON!!!!

People act/react differently when doing a lifestyle change of this magnitude. When I look back, overall it was rather easy to quit. It will be one year on the 9th. I have no cravings and feel great. Food tastes better and the cigars taste better.

When your ready to quit, one thing is for sure, you have a lot of brothers that are here to help you anyway we can!!!
[Reply]
Starscream 02:52 PM 01-04-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
4 days strong for me...... not a cig and boy do those cigars seem better.:-)

Not getting over confident yet, but this time feels different than the other dozen attempts.
:-):-)
[Reply]
doctorcue 06:00 PM 01-04-2009
Stay at it my man! You'll be better off for it. As with all goals; keep the long term in mind but work one day at a time.
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:29 AM 01-06-2009
Happy 6th day!! :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 07:39 AM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Happy 6th day!! :-)
Thanks, One week today.

I had a good sign yesterday. I was walking though the Magic Kingdom in Disney with my daughter and behind the castle is a smoking area that I normally ducked into a few times a day.

Walking by it the smell of all the cigarrettes made me gag a little.:-)

It's far from over and the nicotine gum has gotten me through some tough moments, but I keep convincing myself I am an ex cigarrete smoker.

Hope the others with the same resolution are doing as well.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:07 AM 01-07-2009
Great job brother!!!! It also helped me to say out loud "I am not smoking because I chose not to smoke" when I got the craving.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:36 AM 01-07-2009
This is a very very good sign that you are on the right track.
Congrats on the one week anniversary! Keep it up! :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 02:52 PM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Great job brother!!!! It also helped me to say out loud "I am not smoking because I chose not to smoke" when I got the craving.
Just don't slip back tommorow if the game gets close!:-)

go Gators!!!
[Reply]
barbourjay 04:36 PM 01-07-2009
Thanks, One week today.

I had a good sign yesterday. I was walking though the Magic Kingdom in Disney with my daughter and behind the castle is a smoking area that I normally ducked into a few times a day.

It's far from over and the nicotine gum has gotten me through some tough moments, but I keep convincing myself I am an ex cigarrete smoker.

Hope the others with the same resolution are doing as well.
you can stretch that week into years if you keep on the mental game as you have. proud of you bro, i went through the same stuff and now i'm almost completely disgusted by cigs. just kinda grosses me out and makes me almost gag.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:25 AM 01-16-2009
How's the quitting cigarettes coming? Still going strong?
[Reply]
floydpink 09:14 AM 01-16-2009
Just passed the 2 week mark and have had some strong cravings after stressfull moments at work, but have resisted and never really faltered.

Next week I go on vacation, and that has always been the time I have "just one", as my schedule totally changes. In other words, vacations are always when my quit smoking campaigns fail.

We always have a balcony villa and there's many times when time doesn't permit a cigar, but a quick cigarrette before dinner looking out at the sea seems like the thing to do and I always promise that I will quit again when I get home. Not this time though....

I told my wife to help by not even bringing them this trip.

I'm treating myself by filling up my herfador with some really nice cigars for my week on the beach.

Thanks for checking up on me.
[Reply]
ashmaster 06:00 PM 01-16-2009
:-) Congratulations on hitting the 2 week mark, way to go!!!!!! :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 08:54 AM 02-01-2009
1 month down, saw a concert without smoking anything but a Partagas mini outside, and barely crave a cigarrete anymore.

Too soon to get cocky, but confident nonetheless.:-)

Last night was a rare night on the town with lots of smokers and it was a test I had hoped to pass and did so with relative ease.

Thanks for all the support guys.:-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 08:58 AM 02-01-2009
1 month down, saw a concert without smoking anything but a Partagas mini outside, and barely crave a cigarrete anymore.

Too soon to get cocky, but confident nonetheless.:-)

Last night was a rare night on the town with lots of smokers and it was a test I had hoped to pass and did so with relative ease.

Thanks for all the support guys.:-)
confidence is high :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 10:02 AM 02-01-2009
Go brother Go! Keep it up! :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up