Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>Rocky Patel,friend or foe?
loki 06:33 AM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by sodomanaz:
I think a lot of people are pushing for a "Do one thing and do it well" rather than "try to do everything and hit or miss."

It'd be nice if you could pick up any RP/Gurkha blindly and in the first few puffs go, "Yup, that definitely has that Gurkha/RP flavor." Unfortunately they've stretched their blend catalogue so far to reach every single possible consumer that it's nearly impossible to associate the cigar to the blender beyond the band.

Don't get me wrong, I have liked the few RPs I've tried. I also keep a box of Cuban Blend maduros in my stash.
I just think the hobby is possibly getting a bit worn thin by these overzealous blenders/companies.
I don't see the problem with having different lines taste different, and I'm an over whelming fan of partagas. Yes there is something to be said for having a distinct flavor profile in every cigar that comes out of the factory, it's consistent and......expected I guess. However, there is also something to be said for variety. If I grab an edge I want it to taste like every edge that I've had before it but if I grab another one of his sticks I don't want it to taste like another edge. If I want an edge I'll smoke another edge, if I grab a vintage 90 I don't want to close my eyes and think I'm smoking another edge.
I know when I grab a party anything I'm going to have a flavor base and depending on the age of the cigar I'm going to have other flavors besides that and I happen to really really like that taste...which is why I own more of that cigar then any other...except for los statos but that's due to price....but that being said I don't want every cigar I smoke to taste the same. I don't smoke many RPs anymore and the last few I've had I didn't really care for but that's life and I don't fault him for trying to make cigars that allow more and more people enjoy them. It's good for him and it's good for us.
[Reply]
TripleF 06:48 AM 04-16-2009
Makes the best cigars available today....IMHO.

In addition Rocky spends most of his time traveling the country, fighting those who are attempting to reduce or eliminate our freedom of choice. He's a class act and I've never met him.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 07:34 AM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by rharris:
I likey the edge corojo,the sungrown in the petit corona size (the bigger sizes not so much).I also like the O.W.R and the decade.Heck,I even like the C.I.legend R.P.s. I have met Rocky a few times at different events and he really seems like a genuine person.Plus he was nice to the wife which earns him big points in my book.
I agree he seems like a nice person with incredible knowledge, I was bummed when I didn't get to meet him him at the B&M event...
[Reply]
borndead1 07:39 AM 04-16-2009
I like some of his cigars...and don't like some.

Friend or foe? Meh, I don't hate the dude.

Also, he is really just a "figurehead" for his cigar company. I am more interested in who is making the cigars than who is selling the cigars. I could care less who runs the company, I wanna know who makes the cigars and if they are any good. :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 07:39 AM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
I have enjoyed the RPs I have had, love the Vintage 90 and 92!
:-)
[Reply]
Tredegar 07:50 AM 04-16-2009
Of all the cigar manufacturers out there, I prefer the Rocky Patel lines the most. His lines have given me the most enjoyment since I have started smoking stogies. Yes, he has had a few stinkers, but overall, I feel his lines suit my tastes the best.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:59 AM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by Tredegar:
Of all the cigar manufacturers out there, I prefer the Rocky Patel lines the most. His lines have given me the most enjoyment since I have started smoking stogies. Yes, he has had a few stinkers, but overall, I feel his lines suit my tastes the best.
That is all that matters then. :-)
[Reply]
ABNMP619 08:10 AM 04-16-2009
I truly enjoy the RP Sungrown and Edge. Both are great smokes in my opinion. I love the way they draw and they burn even too.
[Reply]
Scottw 08:50 AM 04-16-2009
SOme RP's suck, some are great (Vin 1990, Decade). It's what you like.
[Reply]
zmancbr 09:01 AM 04-16-2009
My feelings go something like this: :-):-):-):-):-)

I will never smoke another RP cigar... they really do suck that much.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 09:02 AM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
I have enjoyed the RPs I have had, love the Vintage 90 and 92!

By far my favorite Rockys. I started smoking with Rocky Patel so no matter how many blends he releases, I'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt and like his brand. I try at least one of almost everything he puts out.

Like I said, I love the 90 and 92. Thought the 99 was just alright, Winter was way too strong for me (and I hated it). The Edge I can take or leave. So to me he's just like any other brand--he has a few sticks I like, and some I just don't vibe with.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 09:15 AM 04-16-2009
well, there was that one time when he stiffed me on the dinner bill, but i don't hold it against him. he's neither friend nor foe...

that being said, i don't believe there's an RP in my top 79 list of cigars.
[Reply]
kaelaria 11:54 AM 04-16-2009
He has some awesome stuff, for the price. I have tried 3/4 of the line and there are only a few I would choose not to buy again, and have about 50 in the humidor right now.
[Reply]
yitlin 01:25 PM 04-17-2009
Usually not a fan, not really sure why, I guess they never did it for me. However, I recently got turned on to the sungrown and Winter blends and I am a fan of those two.
[Reply]
Dunkel 05:32 PM 06-09-2009
I have smoked an Olde World Reserve Corojo, and a Fusion Torpedo so far and liked both of them very much. I have a few I-Press' waiting their turn patiently in the humidor. So far Rocky is batting 1000 from what I've tried.
[Reply]
shilala 06:03 PM 06-09-2009
The Esteban Carerra is an RP blend produced by Oliva, and it absolutely rocks.
I LOVE Indian Tabac Super Fuertes, and have enjoyed a bunch of other Indian Tabac blends.
I have yet to find any with Rocky's name on them that I have enjoyed. I had a Fusion MM a few days ago and quite frankly, I'd be ashamed for my name to be on it.
The flavor was lousy, the construction sucked, the draw was crap, the burn very inconsistant, and these are cigars that I have let set for a year.
Chuck made some points earlier about "all the brands".
My answer to that is "do you want to make good cigars, or do you want to make money?"
Look at Oliva and Fuente, for instance.
They don't have to introduce a new cigar every week because they are committed, proud, and absolutely insist on producing a product of the highest queality that they can put their name on with pride.
Rocky drags maduro wrapper through dye and syrup so he can make a few bucks.
Big difference. Real big.
So far as Gurkha goes, I have no idea what the hell they're thinking.
CAO falls somewhere in between. If there's a company that fits the thinking Chuck was talking about, I think it would be them. Their intent is to provide quality and variance, and they have limits.
I think Rocky's heart is in the right place, but I think he's willing to compromise at any level just to move cigars. I think it's a shame because he has real talent, and it doesn't take many compromises to ruin a guy's good name.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:50 PM 06-09-2009
There are still a few of his cigars that I like... but I posted a long time ago somewhere... that if a manufacturer dyes their cigars so much that they leave stains on my fingers I am not buying them anymore. Peace... Out!!!
[Reply]
Bax 01:57 AM 06-10-2009
I haven't enjoyed the one's I've had so far and I'm not in a rush to try any more. :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 08:47 AM 06-10-2009
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
I have smoked an Olde World Reserve Corojo, and a Fusion Torpedo so far and liked both of them very much. I have a few I-Press' waiting their turn patiently in the humidor. So far Rocky is batting 1000 from what I've tried.
I was wrong. I checked and it was not a Fusion Torpedo, it was an Edge Corojo Torpedo.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 09:19 AM 06-10-2009
Rocky is a friend. Heck, he blends and makes cigars, doesn't he? He goes out and meets the public, his BotL's. He makes cigars at all price points, so whether you're a refined connoisseur or a noob, there's probably something with his name on it in your humi. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could consider him a foe...unless you would like to see cigar smoking banned from the culture.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up