Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>I've never bought a box
Clampdown 07:11 AM 12-14-2008
I only had a few cigars before I was gifted an entire box of Punch's. I cant remember which one, I have two left somewhere in the cooler. I remember stocking my little humidor with the entire box and thought I was set for the year. Now I have 4 desktops, a stocked Vino and a stocked cooler. I blame that first box for all of this. :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:11 AM 12-14-2008
christian..i bought my first box after smoking consistenly for 1 month...now it is mostly CC box splits..that way i get the variety like you.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 10:41 PM 12-14-2008
started buying a cc here and there and then a month into it, my first box. now, 2 months later, i am on my second coolidor....

the slope is definately slippery and i am sliding as fast as i can
[Reply]
Bobb 01:45 AM 12-15-2008
I bought my first box about a year into the hobby. I got a job at a cigar shop and about a year after I started, we had a Perdomo event with Nick Perdomo himself there. I really liked the new (at that point) Lot 23's so I bought a box and had Nick Perdomo sign it. It was pretty cool.

As far as when should you buy a box? I have to agree with the answer: When there is a cigar you want 20 of.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 06:09 AM 12-15-2008
A few months into the hobby I started buying boxes (my first was a box of 8-5-8's) and now 14 years later I still buy more boxes than I do singles. I buy singles when I'm at a B&M and boxes or season samplers over the net. If I don't care for the box or get tired of the blend half way through I pay it forward and give gift bags to friends. No set rules in this hobby. Enjoy it the way you like!
[Reply]
Langod 06:11 AM 12-15-2008
I've been smoking for about 6 months. I'm still in the figuring out what I like stage. The only box I've considered buying so far is Punch Champions. I've smoked several of them been happy with them each time. A nice, inexpensive but yummy smoke.
The price is right, you can find find a box of 25 for about $60, so the per stick price is really cheap. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
[Reply]
rrplasencia 07:56 AM 12-15-2008
you'll just know, it's like finding the right girl but the box won't talk back :-)
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 08:02 AM 12-15-2008
Originally Posted by Bax:
If you bought one box of everything you liked when you first started, then you'd have alot of WTS threads in a couple years.
Brilliantly put!
[Reply]
rizzle 08:32 AM 12-15-2008
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
Here's a question to you more experienced guys:

How long were you smoking before you bought a complete box?

I've been smoking for about 15 months, and fallen pretty hard down the slope. I've bought humidors, all kinds of lighters, cutters and other toys.

I've bought plenty of fivers and samplers off of C-bid or other vendors when the price is right for me.

Part of it, for me, is the variety. I have yet to find a cigar that I said to myself, "I need 20 of these." I'm still inexperienced enough to not really know what I like yet.

So, those of you who have been down the path, how does one evolve to the point of buying boxes?
Christian,
You've answered you own question. If you haven't found a cigar yet that tells you "you need 20 of these" then there is no need to even think about it. When you find "that" cigar, you will know. Variety is the spice of life brother, especially before you know what you want. Your wife isn't the only girl you ever dated before you married her is she?
[Reply]
tobii3 10:18 AM 12-15-2008
Just wait until the day that you can say...

""I remember when I hadn't bought one box....now I buy three or four boxes at a time""

:-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 03:28 PM 10-02-2011
I too have not yet purchased a box of smokes and have been smoking consistently for around a year now. I have come to the conclusion that the Diesel Unholy Cocktail is a smoke that I would definately want to have on hand for any occasion. They will likely be my first box of smokes.
[Reply]
gator_79 04:35 PM 10-02-2011
I've been smoking for about 4 or 5 years and I've bought many boxes. I say, if you have a smoke and you like it that much buy a box, the cigar will tell you when it's time.
First rule is if you don't already have a cooler, or a fridge, or a cabinet, get one...or two, I just started on my second cooler. When the time comes to get your box/boxes you'll just know.
My first boxes were Padron 2000 and AF Queen B, then I hit the "Other" slope. Boli BBF, VR Unicos, ect... I now have more than I can even remember.
[Reply]
Crownedone 07:51 PM 10-02-2011
I still get excited thinking back on my first box purchase. After the first, three or four came quickly soon after...it was such a thrill to have so many cigars I started bombing all my local cigar friends. I just wanted to share with them the joy they brought me.
[Reply]
Lonely Raven 09:25 PM 10-02-2011
Wow, way to Necro a thread Steel City!

But since it's up and walking...What is this CC that everyone's talking about in this thread?
[Reply]
falconman515 09:48 PM 10-02-2011
It's only been about 3 months for me and I'm in the same boat.... samplers at first... but after learning more about cigars I am just getting 5ivers here lately.

Still haven't really found that cigar where I say... OK I want to spend 100 bucks on these.

The ones I like so far are Ave Maria, 5 Vegas Classic, Diesel UC and Tat Havana VI.

Still though unless I found a Amazing deal on a box I would still just buy 5ivers.

If you look at prices of 5ivers on CBID though if you wanted to have like 20 sticks.... bidding on 4 5ivers its seems is always less than a box..... The only down side is you dont get the pretty box.

I'll be sticking to this route till I have tried so many that I know exactly what may staple sticks are then buy some boxes at that point.
[Reply]
WittyUserName 09:53 PM 10-02-2011
I have bought three boxes.

DPG Firecrakers
Tat Black PLs
Tat TAA limited edition (box split)

I see many more on the horizon.
[Reply]
irratebass 03:37 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven:
Wow, way to Necro a thread Steel City!

But since it's up and walking...What is this CC that everyone's talking about in this thread?
Cuban Cigars & NC means Non Cuban

No box for me yet, but I believe it will be the Kristoff's when I do decide.
[Reply]
gbum 04:20 AM 10-03-2011
my 1st box was cc montecristo petite edmundo... given that with financial and my taste factor at that time.. its the most suitable stuff to grab... still in love with them...
now eyeing for psd2 or psd4...

as for nc... thinking of liga privada no9... but the price is killing me... :-) so keep wondering and sampling...
[Reply]
Lonely Raven 08:23 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Cuban Cigars & NC means Non Cuban

No box for me yet, but I believe it will be the Kristoff's when I do decide.
Thanks IB, this newb appreciates that.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:27 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven:
Thanks IB, this newb appreciates that.
:-) I had to search for the answer too when I was a youngin' Its in this section somewhere....good thread to read if you haven't yet also:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1753
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up