Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>I've never bought a box
Tenor CS 07:10 AM 12-13-2008
Here's a question to you more experienced guys:

How long were you smoking before you bought a complete box?

I've been smoking for about 15 months, and fallen pretty hard down the slope. I've bought humidors, all kinds of lighters, cutters and other toys.

I've bought plenty of fivers and samplers off of C-bid or other vendors when the price is right for me.

Part of it, for me, is the variety. I have yet to find a cigar that I said to myself, "I need 20 of these." I'm still inexperienced enough to not really know what I like yet.

So, those of you who have been down the path, how does one evolve to the point of buying boxes?
[Reply]
Footbag 07:13 AM 12-13-2008
My first box was for my my HS graduation party. LFD Flor de LaVonda. After that, I waited a long time. Then I bought my cabinet, and now I can store my boxes as long as I want.
[Reply]
Yazzie 07:17 AM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
So, those of you who have been down the path, how does one evolve to the point of buying boxes?
Easy, just pull out your credit card and choose "Complete Order" :-)

Seriously though once you find something you consistently like, buy a few boxes. Part of the interest in this hobby for me is sampling a stick from the same box every few months or so and experiencing the changes the aging process brings. :-)
[Reply]
Volt 07:24 AM 12-13-2008
I'm sort of like you, I like the variety a bit much to pull the trigger on a box. I think I have bought may be 4 in a years time. It also kills a lot of the monthly budget at one shot, and I like buying cigars (maybe I need a shrink). Second consideration is the storage, I do quite will with the humi and a 72 qt cooler. Buying boxes would kill what room I have and limit teh variety.
[Reply]
joshpip 07:37 AM 12-13-2008
The first cigar I really enjoyed I ordered a box.

Pip
[Reply]
goalie204 07:41 AM 12-13-2008
I have been smoking only 3 months, also ordering samplers, mostly cc's, and liked 75% of them, and i own less than 20 cigars. I still am in the same boat as you - haven't felt the need to buy a box, the only temptation is that some of the cigars i have enjoyed - it costs around the same for a box as it did for a 12 pack sampler. So the savings is there.
[Reply]
maddman 07:46 AM 12-13-2008
i was smoking for 3years till i bought my first box
[Reply]
Bax 07:47 AM 12-13-2008
If you bought one box of everything you liked when you first started, then you'd have alot of WTS threads in a couple years.

This is an odd time. Usually I would say wait a while and buy a box of special smokes. Go high end and listen to other inmates advice. That way you're less likely outgrow your first box.

With all the talk of tax hikes though, I would have to say if you can afford it now buy a couple boxes of great smokes. Stay away from the cheaper stuff...5 Vegas, Perdomo, etc. in a year you'll wish you saved your money for something else.

I'd recomend a box of Anjeos, Ashton VSG's, Fuente Don Carlos, Pardon 64's, higher end Tat's

Odds are that soon you'll be getting into these anyway. It's like people say around here, once you start down the slope don't bother with Humidors, go ahead and buy a cooler. It'll save you time and money. :-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:06 AM 12-13-2008
took me about 2 years to finally buy a box. To date I have only purchased two boxes both being CCs.
[Reply]
BengalMan 08:19 AM 12-13-2008
I think there are 4 kinds of slopes.

1) The newb slope. Here you spend your paycheck's over and over again on Cigar Bid and CI samplers.
2) The box slops. Here is where things get ugly. Instead of buying 10 count samplers, you start really focusing on boxes of cigars you really enjoy. For sake of example, you get a Oliva Serie V Torpedo in a sampler or as a gift. Instead of buying a fiver, you just pick up a box. Repeat the process with all the cigars you like.
3) The cuban slope. This is the worst. At this point, you combine 1 and 2, but with CC's.
4) Finally, you have so many coolers, desktop's etc. that you get multiple cabinets, smoking rooms, smoking sheds, etc. That is if you still have a residence and your wife hasn't thrown you and your cigars out and taken the house. :-)

The moral of this lesson, Tenor, your about to hit #2, and 3 and 4 aren't far behind it. :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 08:25 AM 12-13-2008
. . . I have yet to find a cigar that I said to myself, "I need 20 of these." . . .
When you say to yourself that you need 20 of something then it's time to buy a box - otherwise - carry on like you are.

Ron
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 08:30 AM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
took me about 2 years to finally buy a box. To date I have only purchased two boxes both being CCs.
you bought two boxes of credit cards?
[Reply]
AD720 08:35 AM 12-13-2008
The first couple of boxes I bought I wish I hadn't, there were like blow out sales and priced that way for a reason.
[Reply]
acruce 08:37 AM 12-13-2008
If you are not sure of a cigar that you really like ,keep buying 5ver's untill you find one that you know you really like. I bought my first box about 6 months in to my hobby. If I were you I would put back $20.00 here and there when you have about $150.00 or so saved up buy a box of high end cigars.With a nice box of Monte's or Tats among others out there you won't go wrong.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 08:45 AM 12-13-2008
Here's a question to you more experienced guys:

How long were you smoking before you bought a complete box?

I've been smoking for about 15 months, and fallen pretty hard down the slope. I've bought humidors, all kinds of lighters, cutters and other toys.

I've bought plenty of fivers and samplers off of C-bid or other vendors when the price is right for me.

Part of it, for me, is the variety. I have yet to find a cigar that I said to myself, "I need 20 of these." I'm still inexperienced enough to not really know what I like yet.

go to the dark side :-)
[Reply]
spincycle 10:34 AM 12-13-2008
my very first purchases were boxes. 2 from the Dominican. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:39 AM 12-13-2008
Buy lots of samplers.....You will find cigars that will stand out and that you really enjoy. For me, my first box was a Oliva g maduro. It was one that i really enjoyed to smoke and was always consitant for me.
[Reply]
groogs 10:50 AM 12-13-2008
I bout boxes after I had only been smoking a few months. I didn't regret any of my first purchases, because I stuck with quality smokes (Padron64, Ashton Maduros) but if you are thinking about buying bargain smokes, you will probably regret it in the next few years.
[Reply]
floydp 11:21 AM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by RGD.:
When you say to yourself that you need 20 of something then it's time to buy a box - otherwise - carry on like you are.

Ron
:-)

You'll still end up with stuff in your humidor that leaves you scratching your head a year from now. First box I bought wasn't even a box, some nic bundles about 10 or so years ago, stored them in tupperware containers.
[Reply]
dentonparrots 11:24 AM 12-13-2008
I've been sampling different brands and sizes for about 6 months, and although I'm going to buy a box of RyJ PC's in the new year once I have some money, I think I'll always keep trying others out...the grass is always greeners on the other side!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up