Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
General Discussion>Does anyone know the meaning of "No Soliciting"
ade06 11:49 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by Volt:
Because I expect people at my door to be rude - she answers the door - yes she bites:

Those are some of the meanest dogs out there!
[Reply]
Volt 01:26 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
Those are some of the meanest dogs out there!
Naw - very loving and easy to get along with. This is our 4th chow and is the perfect breed for my household. 100% loyal to the family and doesn't take **** from strangers. She isn't agressive but she is assertive and if you don't belong, you get fair warning. When they knock on the door she barks and raises hell and that is enough for them to usually just back off and find another house to bug. Then she gets her bisquit for a job well done. :-)
[Reply]
357 01:53 PM 04-22-2009
I've been on both sides. I used to sell long distance phone service for MCI-Worldcom back in the late 90's when I was in college. It was a small town and the only job to be found. Plus the pay was decent, hours were great, and the perks were unlimited. Still a handful of people quit everyday from the abuse people gave us for bothering them. Regularly I would hear "F%&* this I QUIT" and that person would throw their headset and walk out.

I personally hate being bothered by solicitors too. Door to Door is worse IMO. Phone, you can hang up. At your door, it's a little more personal.

Plus a few tips since I've worked in the business:

If someone calls you to sell something they have to:

1. Say their first name, LAST name, and what company they work for within 15 seconds of you answering.

2. They cannot lie, mislead, or tell you that you've won some prize just to get you to listen to a sales pitch

3. They cannot change your long distance or phone carrier without your explicit permission.

If any of these are violated they carry fines from the federal government ranging from $20,000 up to $100,000 per occurance. File an official complaint, companies usually record 50-100% of these calls and log caller/number/timestamp for 100%. They know who called you and when. Write down the info and file a complaint. The person will probably be fired, and if you follow through the company can pay huge.

Also, to prevent the calls sign up with the national Do-Not-Call registry. If you still get non-sales calls and don't want to be called, ask each one to put you on THEIR do-not call list. By law they have to send you written verification of such if you ask. They are then not allowed to call you for 10 years, even if the phone number is transferred to a new owner.

For fun listening where someone gets even with telemarketers, Google a guy named Tom Mabe.
[Reply]
rennD 02:01 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
Shoot the next one and leave the body nailed to the gate as a warning.:-)
This seriously made me :-):-):-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:05 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by 357:
I've been on both sides. I used to sell long distance phone service for MCI-Worldcom back in the late 90's when I was in college. It was a small town and the only job to be found. Plus the pay was decent, hours were great, and the perks were unlimited. Still a handful of people quit everyday from the abuse people gave us for bothering them. Regularly I would hear "F%&* this I QUIT" and that person would throw their headset and walk out.

I personally hate being bothered by solicitors too. Door to Door is worse IMO. Phone, you can hang up. At your door, it's a little more personal.

Plus a few tips since I've worked in the business:

If someone calls you to sell something they have to:

1. Say their first name, LAST name, and what company they work for within 15 seconds of you answering.

2. They cannot lie, mislead, or tell you that you've won some prize just to get you to listen to a sales pitch

3. They cannot change your long distance or phone carrier without your explicit permission.

If any of these are violated they carry fines from the federal government ranging from $20,000 up to $100,000 per occurance. File an official complaint, companies usually record 50-100% of these calls and log caller/number/timestamp for 100%. They know who called you and when. Write down the info and file a complaint. The person will probably be fired, and if you follow through the company can pay huge.

Also, to prevent the calls sign up with the national Do-Not-Call registry. If you still get non-sales calls and don't want to be called, ask each one to put you on THEIR do-not call list. By law they have to send you written verification of such if you ask. They are then not allowed to call you for 10 years, even if the phone number is transferred to a new owner.

For fun listening where someone gets even with telemarketers, Google a guy named Tom Mabe.
Here it is, Its funny as hell!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8
[Reply]
SixPackSunday 02:44 PM 04-22-2009
some good points by all for sure...

I first heard tom mabe on the bob and tom show, HILARIOUS.

As many rude people as I dealt when in doing non profit donations, that was really the smallest part of my day. Plus there was nothing better than hitting up a random rich guy who donated your entire weeks goal!

lastly... being a very avid dog lover, barking dogs never scared me away from a house. they usually made me WANT to talk to the owner so I could see if the dog was friendly enough to pet.

then there were the days we would do scavengar hunts.... oh man... 'Hi yes I work for blah blah blah and were going door to door to day to help fight for clean air and water in your city. yada yada yada' then at the very end 'btw, would happen to have an applor or coffee mug I could have for a scavenger hunt i'm doing today?' we had so much fun with those!
[Reply]
livwire68 05:54 PM 04-22-2009
Being polite I posted a sign, I sometimes work swing shift and do not want to be bothered. As part of the definition of "solicit" it does say entice, therefore I do not want anyone to come to the door and try to "entice" me for a damn thing, hence the "No soliciting sign. If I want to donate, get a magazine/news paper or I require a service, I can look in the yellow pages, Internet or use my phone to do all necessary business! I have three large dogs, two females and a young male. All have rottie/pit bull and at least one other large breed mixed in, I do not want them aggressive. If someone were to get bit on my property even with signs posted then its my fault, according to our wonderful society! I will be posting a no trespassing sign this weekend just above the no soliciting sign, if the "enticers" still want to intrude and play dumb then I will hand them cards which will say: I did not invite you onto my property, I want nothing from you! You are trespassing and have one minute to leave the premise or I will feel threatened and be forced to use pepper spray! Now please leave!!!! I feel that is fair enough, within the guidelines of protecting myself and family to unwanted visitors!!! I will just have to be even more rude than people who do not understand or want to twist the definition of "soliciting" and the word "NO" around! And I have used pepper spray in the past without hesitation
[Reply]
Barteur 05:59 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
Shoot the next one and leave the body nailed to the gate as a warning.:-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 06:00 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Here it is, Its funny as hell!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8
haha I am definitely going to do something like this!
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:05 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by livwire68:
Being polite I posted a sign, I sometimes work swing shift and do not want to be bothered. As part of the definition of "solicit" it does say entice, therefore I do not want anyone to come to the door and try to "entice" me for a damn thing, hence the "No soliciting sign. If I want to donate, get a magazine/news paper or I require a service, I can look in the yellow pages, Internet or use my phone to do all necessary business! I have three large dogs, two females and a young male. All have rottie/pit bull and at least one other large breed mixed in, I do not want them aggressive. If someone were to get bit on my property even with signs posted then its my fault, according to our wonderful society! I will be posting a no trespassing sign this weekend just above the no soliciting sign, if the "enticers" still want to intrude and play dumb then I will hand them cards which will say: I did not invite you onto my property, I want nothing from you! You are trespassing and have one minute to leave the premise or I will feel threatened and be forced to use pepper spray! Now please leave!!!! I feel that is fair enough, within the guidelines of protecting myself and family to unwanted visitors!!! I will just have to be even more rude than people who do not understand or want to twist the definition of "soliciting" and the word "NO" around! And I have used pepper spray in the past without hesitation

Check your local laws. If you have a sign posted "no soliciting" and they come to your door trying to sell you stuff, you may be able to press charges.
[Reply]
mugwump 03:09 PM 04-24-2009
I have a "No Soliciting" sign posted as well and anyone who wanted to argue the semantics of said sign with me would find my size 13 planted firmly in their posterior.

I did have two teenagers ring my bell last week and when I opened the door they apologized profusely for not seeing the sign (it's in the window not right under the bell). They were two local kids trying to drum up some business for their summer painting gig and I have to admit it was nice to see two kids out trying to earn a buck as most around here just mooch off their parents.
[Reply]
Junior 03:40 PM 04-24-2009
I just point at the sign, and point them down the road.
[Reply]
Cigary 02:23 PM 04-25-2009
Originally Posted by SixPackSunday:
as somebody who has sadly worked door to door for a non profit... we are told it doesnt matter what your sign says, we are to ask. We always had a signed paper from the city saying we were allowed to be there and asking for donations. got a new paper everyday. plenty of people hated me, but I still got a ton of donations everyday. I also hate solicitors, but until it stops working, I cant really blame them...
It does matter,,at what point does one not understand,,,NO SOLICITING!
Attached: cvfsupplyco-store_2049_19368789.jpg (92.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up