Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>CB radios?
Junior 10:35 PM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
Well I went down today and picked up the uniden PC78XL with a K40 magnetic antenna. While not a huge fan of the magnetic antennas it will give me the best performance and easiest installation instead of co phasing 2 whips out of the hood.

Now for instillation the manual has a few different way to go about getting power. One of the drawings is for it to go direst to the battery positive and negative. Any other ways that are better?
That is the best way to do it. Run a good thick Positive wire thru a fuse link to the battery. As far as the ground you don't have to run it to the battery, just a good ground source. If you are going thru a firewall use a rubber gromit to keep from shorting out your wires.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 08:34 PM 02-07-2009
the radio is wired with a pre wired plug that goes into the back of the unit. If I could wire it myself i would. I havent really looked at the book but if i can i want it wired into the accessories so i can just have it turn off when i turn my explorer off the radio turns off.
[Reply]
RGD. 08:57 PM 02-07-2009
One of the drawings is for it to go direst to the battery positive and negative. Any other ways that are better?
Originally Posted by Junior:
That is the best way to do it. Run a good thick Positive wire thru a fuse link to the battery. As far as the ground you don't have to run it to the battery, just a good ground source. If you are going thru a firewall use a rubber gromit to keep from shorting out your wires.
the radio is wired with a pre wired plug that goes into the back of the unit. If I could wire it myself i would. I havent really looked at the book but if i can i want it wired into the accessories so i can just have it turn off when i turn my explorer off the radio turns off.

As junior said - it's the best way, gives you good clean power. To get the best of both worlds - use a heavy duty relay, 15 or 20 amps. Trigger is wired to your accessories so that it is on/off with your key.

Ron
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up