Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>CB radios?
smokeyandthebandit05 10:35 AM 02-04-2009
I'll be buying a CB radio on Friday and was wondering if anyone else has one. Im interested in buying a Uniden or Cobra, any pros/cons?

The one Im really interested in is a Uniden PC78XL

http://www.123radios.com/BuyItNow.asp?PID=766
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:49 AM 02-04-2009
Wow, people are still into that? My dad and grandpa were in the 70's.
[Reply]
acarr 11:38 AM 02-04-2009
Smokyandthebandit would always need a good cb to know where are the police are.
[Reply]
68TriShield 12:42 PM 02-04-2009
Those are both reliable units in my experience.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 02:19 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
I'll be buying a CB radio on Friday and was wondering if anyone else has one. Im interested in buying a Uniden or Cobra, any pros/cons?

The one Im really interested in is a Uniden PC78XL

http://www.123radios.com/BuyItNow.asp?PID=766
Good unit. However, if you can find it, get the same one, except with the weather bands. Comes in handy. Then, find you a Firestick I, the one with the easy adjusting tip for tuning. Alternately, get a Wilson brand (these two are fiberglas stick, antennas, with 4 foot the best.) However, depending on what you are putting this in, you might have to go with a bottom loaded style and a magnetic mount. Not as good as a center or top loaded, but will still work if centered on a good ground plane, with good clearance for the wire. I believe Uniden and Cobra made by same manufacture. If you are really wanting a GOOD unit, go with a Galaxy.

I have Uniden in two of my SUV's, Cobra in the third. No differences between them as far as I can see. Main difference is the antennas, and keeping them tuned with my SWR meter.

A good 200 Watt kicker is less than $150. Then you can really reach out and touch someone!!:-)

BTW, YES, I do use them. Used them since 1970. Still remember what my CB license number was (back when you were supposed to be licensed to use them). Great tool on trips to be forewarned about wrecks ahead. Haven't been stuck in a traffic wreck back-up in decades, cause the truckers ALWAYS broadcast them in plenty time to find alternate routes. Can't get that on a GPS navigation unit.......... Until you are usually already sitting in the back-up!

Just remember, if you get the CB with the weather channels, you will have to make sure the antenna has the weather band coiling added. Antenna cost the same as non-weather, BTW.
[Reply]
foomanto 04:19 PM 02-04-2009
both are good brands have used both as well as the galaxy. i have always preferred cobra tho
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:09 PM 02-04-2009
This has always been one of my favorites:
http://www.banoggle.com/products/cob...a-148-gtl.aspx

I also have a modded Uniden hr2510 that I use as a base station.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:49 PM 02-04-2009
Alright my situation is I currently have an Explorer and will be getting a truck relatively soon. What I wanna do is get the angle brackets and them coming outta the back of my hood near the door is the best way to describe it. When I get my truck I'll be takin them out and there goin on the bed like every one else. I really dont like the magnetic style antennas and when I get my radio the guy peaks and tunes for free. Im sorry if this doesnt make alot of sense we had a good night at work :-)
[Reply]
Dennis569 07:55 PM 02-04-2009
I've been a trucker for years. The modern Cobras are not nearly as good as the older models. All made in China now. I still own an older American made 29. An 8 ft. steel whip will also outperform the plastic antennas all day long.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 08:02 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Dennis569:
I've been a trucker for years. The modern Cobras are not nearly as good as the older models. All made in China now. I still own an older American made 29. An 8 ft. steel whip will also outperform the plastic antennas all day long.
Whats a good brand for whips. Ive heard alot about firestick but I dont know much. I dont need the best but I want it to be good and not limited to under a mile due to cheap equipment
[Reply]
RGD. 10:56 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
Whats a good brand for whips. Ive heard alot about firestick but I dont know much. I dont need the best but I want it to be good and not limited to under a mile due to cheap equipment

It really doesn't matter much what kind of antenna you get if you are not going to mount it properly. Mounting on the hood with the angle brackets or in the bed "like everyone else" are not the optimum placements. Ask the guy who is going to tune it for you. Center vehicle and high is the best.

I've been running CB's since the early 70's and really never noticed any difference between one steel whip or another - it's all in the tuning with them.

Cobra, Uniden - are okay. One of the easiest setups I've run was a K40 with a Firestick. Currently I have a Galaxy which I think is the best radio I've had. Great performer. Texas Ranger makes some great equipment also. Came down to them and Galaxy when I bought mine.

Really I would say to ask the guy who is going to install it and tune it for you to suggest which antenna is best matched to the radio and your vehicle. Picking something cause it's pretty or popular is not the best route.

Ron
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 01:57 AM 02-05-2009
Back in the mid 70's, I used to work at Radio Shack part-time. This was one of those periods in time where CB's were a hot item. You just couldn't keep em' in stock it seems.

The firestick was mentioned above, how would dual antennas work as opposed to a single antenna as far as output and reception? I only say that since a truck appears to be in the future for Smokey:-)
[Reply]
RGD. 06:24 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
. . . how would dual antennas work as opposed to a single antenna as far as output and reception? I only say that since a truck appears to be in the future for Smokey:-)

Problem with duals on a pickup truck is that the mirrors now days are plastic/composite which creates grounding problems and the spread is not normally wide enough for a good tune.

Ron
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:27 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Problem with duals on a pickup truck is that the mirrors now days are plastic/composite which creates grounding problems and the spread is not normally wide enough for a good tune.

Ron
Well, that makes sense. Gone are the days of metal...
[Reply]
foomanto 04:03 PM 02-05-2009
i agree with every thing RGD has posted except the part about liking the galaxy. its a good radio i just didn't like the one i had.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 04:08 PM 02-05-2009
Thanks everyone for the response! Im headin down tomorrow and from what I hear the guy is very very knowledgeable and Im sure he'll help with getting the right set up. Im so excited!
[Reply]
Diesel Kinevel 10:15 AM 02-06-2009
Ive used TriShields old Uniden CB for years. Ive also used Wilson whip antennas and firestiks they both do fairly well. Like RGD said make sure they are tuned properly
[Reply]
Junior 11:04 AM 02-06-2009
When I was trucking I used many radios Cobra, Galaxy, General Lee. Of all of them I kept the General Lee (made by conex) with a Galaxy 200watt kicker. A close second was a Cobra 29 I had peaked and tuned(like all my radios) and a big final put in as well. I also used Monkey Made Antennas they seemed to work the best for me at the time.

Now this has been 6 years ago so some things might have changed, but that is what I liked.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 09:40 PM 02-06-2009
Well I went down today and picked up the uniden PC78XL with a K40 magnetic antenna. While not a huge fan of the magnetic antennas it will give me the best performance and easiest installation instead of co phasing 2 whips out of the hood.

Now for instillation the manual has a few different way to go about getting power. One of the drawings is for it to go direst to the battery positive and negative. Any other ways that are better?
[Reply]
KidRock 10:00 PM 02-06-2009
Geter Done
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up