Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
General Discussion>Have you ever considered giving up cigars?
Genetic Defect 12:04 PM 01-26-2009
yes
[Reply]
MedicCook 12:07 PM 01-26-2009
For me I don't even care about the health issue. We are all going to die at some point and I am not going to stop doing the only thing I have left to enjoy in my life because it may cause health issues later in life. Look at George Burns, the guy smoked all the time and he lived to be 100 years old.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:09 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
You state you enjoy cigars. If there is not a health issue, why would you stop? No comprendo. Or is the cough you got scaring you? I can see if you didn't enjoy them anymore, or if your doctor said you had to stop, but I am baffled, frankly. Again, unless you are fearing for your health all of a sudden. And, no, I have never thought about quitting- then again I've been smoking for about five years- a great deal less than you, I gather.

You are a person I'd like to herf with, hombre, I hope that your fears are conquered- and are baseless- and you will be able to smoke happily and truly enjoy your stogies!
Thanks Hugh.
You hit the reason(s).
Health.
Not that I fear the future.
Just doesn't feel good the next day.
I have now felt that in my last 6-10 cigars that I can easily recall.
No doubt I enjoy them.
No doubt I sure as heck don't want to give them up.
Just doesn't feel good to get that dry cough at night and the burning like feeling in the upper chest/throat, as if bronchitis symptoms that I recall so well from when I was a kid.
Just wondering if my body is telling me to cut the crap a bit.
I honestly figure I will stop for a few months, see how I feel, light up a cigar then, see how I feel after that and then make a final decision then.

No doubt when friends are in town, no way I cannot light up. That said, on 2/14, I will be a chimney. Just want to see if I can make it three months other than 2/14 as a smoking day.
That is my goal before I re-assess the whole situation and see which way I will go.
I honestly want to eventually go back to that one cigar a week on Sundays.

I am thinking of 4/24/09 as an assessment date, with the hopes I can smoke OK on 2/14 and not long for another one again.
Let's see.
I swear this is not something I can guarantee with the likes of dad and son to try to trip me up but lets see what happens.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 12:22 PM 01-26-2009
No I havent considered giving up cigars. I dont smoke that much to begin with, as most of its done during the warm months and even then its 1 maybe 2 a day if Im relaxing up at the lake. At the rate Im goin I have enough sticks to last 3 years lol
[Reply]
Blueface 12:24 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
No I havent considered giving up cigars. I dont smoke that much to begin with, as most of its done during the warm months and even then its 1 maybe 2 a day if Im relaxing up at the lake. At the rate Im goin I have enough sticks to last 3 years lol
My ultimate goal is one a week or so and eliminate that daily stuff.
Just thinking a break will be good until I can start that regimen.
[Reply]
landhoney 12:25 PM 01-26-2009
I understand you have several boxes of Cohiba Sublimes Carlos....:-) :-)

Seriously though, Herfs wouldn't be the same without you. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 12:27 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by landhoney:
I understand you have several boxes of Cohiba Sublimes Carlos....:-) :-)

Seriously though, Herfs wouldn't be the same without you. :-)
Appropriate wording would be "use to" have several boxes of Sublimes.
Those days are long gone.
You came along too late.:-)

I am not leaving.
No goodbyes damn it!!!

Will smoke up a storm with you guys on 2/14 and then go back to hibernation for a while to give peace a chance.:-)
Who knows, in three weeks, I may spend all day smoking on 2/14 and feel completely fine after that.
[Reply]
Cigary 12:28 PM 01-26-2009
I've considered giving it up over the course of 40 years and actually went about 2 years without a cigar,,,but eventually come back because I always enjoyed it and it relaxes me. I figure after this much time if it was going to affect my health it would have already done something. I don't plan on living forever so I will continue my slide and they can stick a cigar in both ends when I go,,,,,talk about goin up in smoke!
[Reply]
rack04 12:28 PM 01-26-2009
I've considered giving up buying but never smoking. Hope you get it all straightened out Carlos.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:28 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by rack04:
I've considered giving up buying but never smoking. Hope you get it all straightened out Carlos.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 12:29 PM 01-26-2009
Yep...the first time I tried to run 3 miles after a long long break this year I kept thinking...WTF...I need to stop smoking cigars...then I got home and smacked myself for such blasphemy!
[Reply]
Blueface 12:30 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Yep...the first time I tried to run 3 miles after a long long break this year I kept thinking...WTF...I need to stop smoking cigars...then I got home and smacked myself for such blasphemy!

You guys are cracking me up.
[Reply]
Mugen910 12:32 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:

You guys are cracking me up.
It's even worse that I blamed smoking and not my inability to stop eating fatty foods. :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 12:35 PM 01-26-2009
Not really... I generally smoke one or two a week. Exception would be when I get together with other inmates (maybe once a month?) and do 3-5, depending on how long of an evening we have. :-)

Nothing says you have to smoke 3-a-day to be a cigar smoker. Sounds like a little break might be what the doctor ordered - no pun intended. :-)

Take care, Carlos - and be healthy. :-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 12:36 PM 01-26-2009
My ultimate goal is one a week or so and eliminate that daily stuff.
Just thinking a break will be good until I can start that regimen.
I know what u mean. When I first started I would get little things on the inside of my cheeks. They were like little I dont know how to describe them but were like small skin tags that were filled with blood. I was worried but then I would get them even if I didnt smoke. I think I get them in my sleep and accidentally bite my cheeks. Im good friends with my dentist his family and the other dentists at the office and he smokes cigars. Are they bad for you? Probably but Ive never heard of someone dying due to cigar related cancers, its always lung cancer from cigarettes and jaw/esophagus from chewin tobacco. The one a week thing will be good because you will be able to look forward to the relaxation and everything that goes along with cigar smoking.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:47 PM 01-26-2009
I am thinking of 4/24/09 as an assessment date, with the hopes I can smoke OK on 2/14 and not long for another one again.
Let's see.
I hope you can smoke again when Smokey and I are coming down to southern Florida.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:48 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
I know what u mean. When I first started I would get little things on the inside of my cheeks. They were like little I dont know how to describe them but were like small skin tags that were filled with blood. I was worried but then I would get them even if I didnt smoke. I think I get them in my sleep and accidentally bite my cheeks. Im good friends with my dentist his family and the other dentists at the office and he smokes cigars. Are they bad for you? Probably but Ive never heard of someone dying due to cigar related cancers, its always lung cancer from cigarettes and jaw/esophagus from chewin tobacco. The one a week thing will be good because you will be able to look forward to the relaxation and everything that goes along with cigar smoking.
Not worried about those types of health concerns.
Heck, my primary care physician loves to see me in his office.
I take him Cuban cigars. He is an avid cigar smoker and enjoys the ones I give him.
Needless to say, I never, ever, ever have a problem getting in to see him.:-)

When I say "health" I am referring more to the way I seem to be feeling after I have a cigar and this all seems to be in the last month and a half or so.
Perhaps attributed to a cold that both the wife and I have had linger. That may be the real underlying root cause.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:49 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I hope you can smoke again when Smokey and I are coming down to southern Florida.
You guys are coming in May.
Need to scratch out that month.:-):-):-)
Will write it off to "I don't know what happened", "I was weak".:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 12:52 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by JKim:
Carlos.. If you don't find satisfaction with cigars later.. I'm sure you'll find a suitable substitute. You could probably get that boat now with the money you'd save on cigars.

If it does happen. I hope it doesn't.. it'd be an interesting for sale thread. :].
My wife will never buy it Ji.
[Reply]
newcigarz 01:00 PM 01-26-2009

When I say "health" I am referring more to the way I seem to be feeling after I have a cigar and this all seems to be in the last month and a half or so.
Perhaps attributed to a cold that both the wife and I have had linger. That may be the real underlying root cause.
Carlos I think You nailed it right here. The last wave of colds that ran through my house sent everyone to the doctors. Each doctor prescribed an antibiotic and Mucinex. My wife and I still have lingering coughs, remember I started right around when we met Ji in MIami. I have thoroughly enjoyed my last few cigars but have paid the price the next day.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up