Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>quitting cigs, keeping cigars?
Starscream 09:14 PM 01-01-2009
I've been cigarette free for two and 1/2 years now. It's tough to quit. Good luck to you!:-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 10:12 PM 01-01-2009
Do the math!

As a 20+ year cigarette smoker it came down to math not health.
When I quite I was up to almost 3 packs a day.
At the time best price around was $3.75 - $4.00 a pack. 2.75 packs a day,
365 days a year = 1004 packs a year. That’s $3,800 to $4,000 a year.
At $4000.00 that’s $330+ a month.

I need a car so instead of smoking I drive this:

I bought it used so there was even enough left over for insurance :-)

Give yourself a reason to work for it, it is work to quit.
But if the reward is worth it you will succeed.
I did it cold turkey, no patch or gum but I still smoked my pipe occasionally.
I did not take up smoking cigars on a regular basis until almost 2 full years of not smoking.

Good luck and like mentioned before if you are not truly ready it will be hard.

Chas
[Reply]
MadAl 06:57 AM 01-02-2009
I've done it so it is possible! Good luck!
[Reply]
floydpink 08:29 AM 01-02-2009
Thanks for all the great support, which I think helps.

Still, has anyone kicked the cigs while continuing to smoke cigars?

Last night, after a day of chewing gum and completely smoke free living, sitting on the porch and lighting up a great cigar seemed extra great.

This is my 10th or so attempt, but it feels different this time, like I can do it.

I think my biggest inspiration is my 4 year old daughter.

I will never forget holding my father's hand as he lay in bed suffering through his final days of cancer. Imagining my little girl going through that gives me the chills.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:20 AM 01-02-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
This is my 10th or so attempt, but it feels different this time, like I can do it.
I tried to quit multiple times, but the final try that worked "felt different". That's a very good sign.

As far as quitting and smoking cigars, I'd say that's an advantage for you. You can still get nicotine from the cigars if you have withdrawals. Also try sunflower seeds. If you feel the craving for a cigarette, pop a handfull of sunflower seeds instead.
[Reply]
The Professor 09:27 AM 01-02-2009
Like I said in the third post in this thread, yes. I kept smoking cigars and pipe while I was quitting cigarettes on September 30, 2007 (notice how that date pops up for several of us in this thread). It was probably my 10th or 12th time trying to quit; but like you're saying, it "felt different" for me this time. Run with that feeling ... it means you're ready to quit.

Just DON'T EVER TOUCH ANOTHER CIGARETTE AGAIN. There is NEVER "just one."

:-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:53 AM 01-02-2009
I will never forget holding my father's hand as he lay in bed suffering through his final days of cancer. Imagining my little girl going through that gives me the chills.
That, my friend, should run through your mind every time you think of a cigarette!!! I quit cold turkey 13 years ago after 12-14 years of smoking. Here's how I did it:

1) Don't buy cigarettes. If you don't have them, you don't smoke them. Don't bum them, either. Think of your daughter.

2) If your spouse smokes, have her quit with you. Then...think of your daughter.

3) Smoking is a habit. I eat bag after bag of sunflower seeds while driving long distances or sitting around at night bored. Keep your mind, mouth, and fingers active with other things. Then think of your daughter's kids.

4) For the first few months, stay away from places you used to like to smoke...bars, strip clubs, etc. You can go back eventually, but give it a while. Go places with your daughter.

5) Remember drinking and the dissolution of memory. If drinking, make it a point to not smoke, no matter what. Do this before you start drinking and continue to tell yourself you won't. If all else fails, think of your daughter.

The first 3-6 months are the absolute worst and you have to accept that. Don't dwell on it and pick up some other hobbies, etc. to keep your mind preoccupied. It gets easier then it goes away. Also, you have to realize that you will never, ever be able to smoke cigarettes again. Ever. One smoke erases all your hard work. You have to hate cigarettes and the best way to hate them is to analyze how much they cost, how they negatively impact your health, how they rob you of time to spend on the earth. After a while, you'll hate them.

When all else fails...pull out that picture and smile at your little girl. She wants you around for a long time!!!
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 12:13 PM 01-02-2009
I wish you luck Bro.

When I gave up ciggs I gave up everything for about a year and a half to two years. I just thought it was much easier without any crutches to fall back on. Everyone is different though so find what works for you and run with it. I used to keep a new pack of cigs on top of the fridge. About a month and a half into quitting I got a craving so strong I almost broke down. Instead I opened the pack and ran them under water. You'll reach a turning point where a decision has to be made. Stand strong!

Best wishes.

P.s - I also chewed on stir straws at work and at the bar when my friends were smoking.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 01:12 PM 01-02-2009
I quit smoking cigarettes about 4 months ago. I've been only very occasionally smoking cigars(1-2 month) since then, just because I had tried several times before over the last couple of years and continued smoking cigars regularly, which led me back to the cigarettes. I think I might almost be ready to go back to regular cigar smoking soon. Maybe after the winter is over.

Basically what it comes down to, at least for me, is the decision to quit. It needs to be your decision, not what anyone else tells you needs to be done. Anything else and you will sabotage yourself.

Just on another note, Nicotene is fully purged from your system within 72 hours. So, 3 days after you actually quit, you are done with PHYSICAL cravings. After that, it's just breaking the old habits/associations.
[Reply]
Starscream 02:56 PM 01-02-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:

:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Cigary 03:55 PM 01-02-2009
Originally Posted by DMK:
It can be done. I quit cigs two yrs. ago last Aug. I'd been smoking cigs since I was 9....
I just got sick of the damn things, terrible taste and the cost constantly going up....
I didn't tell anyone I was quitting as the @$$es I work with are horrible at sabotage...
Ditto this. I quit the cigs and kept smoking cigars and don't deal with the hacking in the mornings like I did with cigarettes.
[Reply]
floydpink 04:22 PM 01-02-2009
well, I have made it 48 hours and the hardest part has been after lattes in the morning and the drive to work.

Another 24 hours and supposedly the physical part is past and the rest is mental.

I've been chewing the gum and think I've got it this time.

Great help from great brothers here..
[Reply]
:eevis 05:13 PM 01-02-2009

Learning this one again :-) Should have listen to my gut. Time to quit again, as I became a weekend smoker again!
[Reply]
ashmaster 07:02 PM 01-02-2009
I am happy to say I am no longer a smoker of cigarettes. After smoking them for 33 years, I quit "cold turkey" Jan 9th of last year (one year anniversary coming up) and have not looked back.

I had been planning it for about 3 months and when Jan 9th came, I quit. I knew in order to be successful I would need to quit drinking beer (ouch). I knew this was a major trigger and didn't want/need the temptation. I did have a couple of beers about 4 months ago and the urge came back, so "no mas". As far as my cigar intake it remained the same during the this period.

Overall I have to say it was easier than I thought it was going to be. Besides, food take better, cigars taste better, cloths smell better, and bottom line I feel better.

So for all of you that have quit recently.....Congratulations, keep it up. If your considering it, challenge yourself and "Just do it".
[Reply]
ChasDen 07:39 PM 01-02-2009
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo:

I also chewed on stir straws at work and at the bar when my friends were smoking.
:-) :-) :-)

I never even thought about it but every time I went into a convenience store the first few months while I was quitting I would walk over and grab one of the stirs from the coffee section and pluck it in my mouth. Subconsciously I would chew and play with it for hours.

I forgot all about that :-)

Chas
[Reply]
SilverFox 07:46 PM 01-02-2009
Thanks for all the great support, which I think helps.

Last night, after a day of chewing gum and completely smoke free living, sitting on the porch and lighting up a great cigar seemed extra great.

I think my biggest inspiration is my 4 year old daughter.

Yup as I said I quite 2 packs of cigs a day and still smoked cigars. I actually didn't find that the cigars caused me any desire for cigs
[Reply]
Starscream 10:18 PM 01-02-2009
Do any of you ex-smokers now find cigarettes to be vile and disgusting? I still get the urge to smoke once in a while, but I can no longer stand the smell and a dirty cigarette ashtray just seems to disgust me now. It seems wierd as I used to love cigarettes (two packs a day).
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 02:11 AM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Do any of you ex-smokers now find cigarettes to be vile and disgusting? I still get the urge to smoke once in a while, but I can no longer stand the smell and a dirty cigarette ashtray just seems to disgust me now. It seems wierd as I used to love cigarettes (two packs a day).
After 3 years of giving up ciggs the smell is very off putting to me now. I can pick up on it as soon as someone lights up from across the room. Everytime I smell it i'm glad I gave them up.

As far as the urge, I can remember a buddies mother who quit for 25 years and every once in a great while still has the urge to pick it up again.

Wicked stuff!
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 02:13 AM 01-03-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
:-) :-) :-)

I never even thought about it but every time I went into a convenience store the first few months while I was quitting I would walk over and grab one of the stirs from the coffee section and pluck it in my mouth. Subconsciously I would chew and play with it for hours.

I forgot all about that :-)

Chas
At the end of a night at the bar my friends would have an ashtray full of butts and I'd have a cocktail napkin filled with mutilated straws. :-)
[Reply]
MNSmoker 09:21 AM 01-03-2009
I successfully gave up smoking cigarettes and kept smoking cigars and pipe over a year ago. No patch or gum ... just quit the cigarettes. I think the key is that you've really got to come to terms with quitting for good. I've found that there is no such thing as "just one."
The Professor makes some great points. First, you have to come to terms with wanting to quit smoking cigarettes. You're not going to quit unless you are 100% committed to quitting. Second, once you do quit cigarettes, you can't sneak a smoke in occasionally or you'll relapse back into a smoker.

I quit smoking cigarettes on October 10 cold turkey. I continued to smoke cigars throughout that time, but I was only smoking a couple of cigars a week. I don't associate cigars with nicotine, and I don't see them as an addiction. I'm not going to give you any advice on calming your cravings, because you've already gone through this multiple times in the past. Stay strong, think of your daughter, and turn to your brothers on this site if you need any help or encouragement. You can do it, and you'll feel much better about yourself once you do. Stay strong brother!!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up