Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>How to seal a cabinet Humi???
Zoomschwortz 12:43 PM 12-31-2008
Originally Posted by Agent11br:
Is there a way to shim that door so it doesn't have any play in it anymore?
The door is solid. It's the cabinet that has the play in it.

I believe that the added 75-100 lb humidor that was sitting on top of it made it weak.

Take care
Ken
[Reply]
Zoomschwortz 12:57 PM 12-31-2008
Originally Posted by Footbag:
Just a thought here...

The door having play when you push the side of the cabinet is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm in the furniture business, and if a door is crooked, the first thing you try to do is level the piece. 90% of the time this fixes the problem. I've seen armoires that cost more then cars do this.
If a humidor isn't level, and the door is not strait, you will likely lose humidity. Make sure the piece is level. Hope it helps.
When I got the humidor home, I noticed it was leaning to the side when I set beside a large bookshelf/cabinet.

In order to get it setting straight, I had to place some shims between the bookshelf and humidor. It is now sitting straight and after adding some thin closed cell weather stripping, the door to cabinet seal is very solid and good.

If I were to glue all of the seams, I'm thinking that it may add some strength to the whole cabinet as well as slow down some of the RH loss. I am also considering an X-brace in the back as suggested.

I have also been kicking around the idea of buying some Spanish cedar and adding an extra layer inside the cabinet. Funny thing about the cedar, it is looking like the 1/4" costs less than the 1/8".

Take care
Ken
[Reply]
Footbag 01:01 PM 12-31-2008
It might be a bit more helpful to try to put a few nails/tacks through any joints that have give. IT would help if you clamped it strait first.

IMO Cedar would be very expensive, and I personally think the caulk/glue would be a bit inefficient structurally. It would probably help with the seal, but I think thats directly related to too much give in the cabinet.
[Reply]
DBall 01:18 PM 12-31-2008
Originally Posted by Footbag:
...I personally think the caulk/glue would be a bit inefficient structurally. It would probably help with the seal, but I think thats directly related to too much give in the cabinet.
Agreed again...

Structurally, glue won't do a darn thing. Bracing coupled with glue, on the other hand, would likely work wonders.

Again, though, I'd try the active humidification before taking anything aprt.
[Reply]
ca21455 12:25 PM 01-01-2009
My cabinet does not move when you push on the side. Try contacting a cabinet maker and see if he would be interested in taking a look at it and doing some repairs. There is a ton of cedar in these cabinets so I think it would be worth it to have it reconditioned.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up