Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>inmate Bowlers?
MithShrike 10:32 AM 12-23-2008
I'm going to start league again in January. I was a 165 average bowler over summer league when it started and then thanks to a new schedule and no chance to practice I dropped down to about 145 average.

I'm a stroker with low revs and about 14mph. I throw a MoRich Solid LevRG drilled for consistency. It's a really smooth arcing ball. My two handed bowler friends laugh because I might cover 5 boards on the lane when the pattern breaks down. For my spare ball and dry lanes I throw a RotoGrip Neptune drilled straight up so the ball pretty much goes straight. Both of my balls are 14lbs.

Lately I've just been bowling for fun. Smoke and drink and throw some rocks down the lane. Going tonight with some friends.
[Reply]
Footbag 10:41 AM 12-23-2008
I averaged 170 in a HS league, but didn't stick with it. I go every so often these days, but a bad back keeps me from rolling more then 2 games at a time.

These days when I go I get frustrated because I lost my ability to pickup the 10 pin.
[Reply]
RGD. 02:22 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
Since this is my first Particle (the track) Do any of you guys have any maintenance tips i.e. what to clean it with and such?. Someone mentioned that in the summer they leave thier balls in the car to "sweat out" the oils. ANy thought on this??

T
Stop by your Pro shop and discuss it with them. I use the Ebonite ball cleaners for quick touch ups. Otherwise every two weeks I stop by and let the shop clean them. My NV Complete they put on the drip machine then spinner - the NVD gets hand cleaned on the spinner and then a 2000 or 4000 grit light sanding depending on how the lanes have been.

Sometime I will just invest in my own ball spinner - but since I have spent enough money they don't charge me for the cleanings. Not that it's that much anyway - $4 bucks if my guy Gee isn't there.

Ron
[Reply]
MithShrike 02:38 PM 12-23-2008
Since this is my first Particle (the track) Do any of you guys have any maintenance tips i.e. what to clean it with and such?. Someone mentioned that in the summer they leave thier balls in the car to "sweat out" the oils. ANy thought on this??

T
Do not put it in your car to release the oils. Yes the oil will come out of the coverstock however it will also soak in at the same time. Not only that, it is unevenly applied heat, this is not ideal.

As to what to clean it with, use a microfiber towel to wipe down the track (where the oil is on your ball) and I recommend Ebonite Clean 'n Dull, it will take out the belt marks and if you're on synthetic lanes it will take off the gunk from the dry side.

If you notice your ball is not hooking as much as you would like first clean it. If still new, talk to your pro shop fellow and ask him to sand it down some. A lot of people are using 1500-1000 grit Abralon. Although you may notice too much hook and may want to polish it.

After using your ball for a while you may notice it 'dying.' I recommend hot water and unscented dish detergent. Let it soak for about 30 minutes and then rinse it thoroughly. If that does not work you may want to try an Ebonite Hook Again. If still nothing, you'll want to get it resurfaced.

Good luck in your bowling ventures.
[Reply]
BHowe 04:24 PM 12-23-2008
Pete,

I personally use Black Magic, Lane One, or Clean N' Dull after each ball has been used and before it goes back in the bag. This seems to keep the balls performing very well.

When they get to the point where they have a pretty good track I take it to my favorite pro shop to have them throw it on the spinner and clean it up.

I too, would love to have my own spinner here at the house. I'd play a lot more then I already do with different polish and abralon pads.

Brandon
[Reply]
Boobar 08:38 PM 12-23-2008
I have been bowling in a Monday night league for the past 5 years. I am currently carrying a 187 average. I throw a 15lb Track Mean Machine and I managed to put up my first 700 of the year a couple of weeks ago (705).
[Reply]
RGD. 09:35 AM 12-24-2008
Well I subbed on the Tuesday night league last night - lanes were dry as crap. Typical night as of late - 188 first game - 245 the second game and a freakin 163 the third game. I can't buy a 600 it seems.

Ron
[Reply]
MithShrike 10:21 AM 12-24-2008
Went last night. I averaged 147 over four games and after 46oz of Guinness. The lane was ridiculous. There was heavy oil 50 ft out and no dry on the sides. My friend the two hander couldn't get much more than a smooth arc even with his crazy revs. I was throwing pretty much straight at the pocket.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 10:27 AM 12-24-2008
Thanks for all the advice on cleaning. I didn't think leaving it in the car was such a great idea. My Pro-shop guy is pretty good so I am sure I can get him to throw it on the spinner. and I'll see what he has for cleaners and select something from the ones you guys have listed.

With tomorrow being Christmas I will have my new ball and so will my son so we will probably go throw them this weekend. Thanks again.

T
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 11:18 AM 12-24-2008
This is the first winter in 16 years I'm not bowling a league. I've bowled as many as 3 a year for a few years. We were bowling in a $10,000 league at the start of the year, got to week 10 and one of the guys quit. With the combination of $25 a week and finding a decent enough bowler to fill his spot and be competitive, we ended up having to quit the league.

Generally between 185 and 200 avg. Hight game is 289 and high series is 724.
[Reply]
BHowe 01:00 PM 12-24-2008
Last night in league, I couldn't miss in practice. Had 5 or 6 in warm up.

Then threw my first one in the ditch. After that I had the net 7. Then a big dirty split for a 225. Then the lanes changed. Struggled to strike in the second game with a 177, then in the 3rd I lost what is normally a pretty solid spare game. 172.

Pretty rough night.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 04:21 AM 12-25-2008
Originally Posted by BHowe:
Last night in league, I couldn't miss in practice. Had 5 or 6 in warm up.

Then threw my first one in the ditch. After that I had the net 7. Then a big dirty split for a 225. Then the lanes changed. Struggled to strike in the second game with a 177, then in the 3rd I lost what is normally a pretty solid spare game. 172.

Pretty rough night.
I feel ya'. I haven't bowled a 600 yet this year. Not that I am as good as many here by looking at this this thread I normally would have a couple. But I am in it for the fun and I don't get all worked up like I see some guys. Afterall it is squadron intramural's NOT the PBA.

T
[Reply]
MithShrike 04:23 PM 01-08-2009
I went last night. Over four games I averaged 161. I had one 200 game. I was really pleased. The damn lane was oily as hell. I had to play straight up the middle with maybe 2 boards of hook on the backend into the pocket or play along the 4 board so that it would grab the dry about 45 feet out at about the 5 board and then hook into the pocket. I made a few split conversions that I was really happy about.

I think I need a new ball drill more aggressively for heavy oil patterns like this. I have a MoRich Solid LevRG drilled for an even arc and it works well on medium and light oil. I have a RotoGrip Neptune that is drilled rather passively and it works well as a spare on medium and heavy and hooks out of the park on dry lanes.

I'm thinking about a Storm Revolution, a Storm Virtual Gravity, a Motiv TX1, or a Brunswick Maxx Zone. Hmmm...
[Reply]
Starscream 04:43 PM 01-08-2009
135 average. Haven't played seriously in years.
[Reply]
piperman 04:43 PM 01-08-2009
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
Went last night. I averaged 147 over four games and after 46oz of Guinness. The lane was ridiculous. There was heavy oil 50 ft out and no dry on the sides. My friend the two hander couldn't get much more than a smooth arc even with his crazy revs. I was throwing pretty much straight at the pocket.

Where to you bowl at? I was bowling at McRay lanes on Wednesday Night (Wednesday night Madness) Last year, skipped this year, need to get back into it.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 11:37 AM 01-29-2009
[quote=Partagaspete;135018]"I feel ya'. I haven't bowled a 600 yet this year."

Until Last night.

Like I said I LOVE this new Track it hits harder than anything I have ever, and I mean ever seen.

LUV IT!!!!

215-233-208 (I think)

We knoked the hell outta my Wife's units team. She doesn't bowl or anything but I got to give her some noise.

T
[Reply]
Scottw 11:42 AM 01-29-2009
I have bowled 8 300 games on Wii sports. That's about it for me these days.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 12:18 PM 01-29-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
I have bowled 8 300 games on Wii sports. That's about it for me these days.
LOL, I bowled one on Wii and retired. My kids are pissed I wont give them a chance to beat the King.

T
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:25 PM 01-29-2009
[quote=Partagaspete;201634]
"I feel ya'. I haven't bowled a 600 yet this year."

Until Last night.

215-233-208 (I think)
Nice series! :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 07:48 PM 02-07-2009
I had my pro-shop order in this ball for me:

AZO Pure Tactics

I have been using the Ebonite NVD for the oily lane conditions. The NVD has a Traxion Reactive matte finish sanded to 2000 grit, but the problem is that after the first game the ball picks up so much oil it's just really inconsistent. And of course I can't sand it during league play.

So talking with my pro-shop guy we went with the AZO Pure Tactics and it's UHP Hybrid Reactive coverstock. It's polished so no need to sand and I can use a cleaner on it if needed.

So it came in - had it drilled real aggressive. Went out and threw a practice game with it - 234 right out of the box. Double, split, double, split, strike out until the last of the the 10th which was a split. 9 strikes, 3 splits. Not bad, not bad at all.

This ball hits like 2 semi's at the same time. So if you are looking for a good medium to heavy oil ball - you may want to give this one a look at -

Picture on their site shows gold/yellow writing - but it actually has orange.

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up