Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>inmate Bowlers?
Partagaspete 02:19 PM 12-19-2008
Any Inmates like to roll a few? I am an average league bowler (170-180 ave.) and I really enjoy it. I currently throw a Roto-Grip Epic Saga with a Columbia Spirit as my back-up for dry lanes and ten pins.

Last year I bought my son his first hook ball. a Columbia Action packed (I think) and when he was gettin it I told him "I think it is too light for you." he is now about 18 and it is a 12 pounder...He didn't realise that there is a difference when a ball is drilled for your hand versus a house ball. Well last weekend he did the raqrest thing a 17 y/o boy will do, he admitted he was wrong and dad was right.

As luck would have it my house got in some discontinued but NIB Tracks at a very reduced price so I picked him up a 14 lbs. Power Machine for $80 bucks for CHristmas. But I noticed they also had a Robo-Rule for Dad...WTH at $80 bucks NEW it was a steal. Yes that included Drilled and inserts.

I'll post a review of the ball after CHristmas but I love the color. I refer to it as "multiple orgasm"

SOrry for the long story but I can't wait to throw these with my boy.

T
[Reply]
ucla695 02:35 PM 12-19-2008
Does the Wii count? :-) :-)

Otherwise, I only bowl every decade or so.
[Reply]
croatan 02:59 PM 12-19-2008
I bowled a lot in college. Carried an average in the high 220s then.

Don't really have anyone to bowl with now, so I'm very out of it. Went to the lanes maybe two months ago for the first time in a couple of years and bowled something like a 160s and a 180s. Kinda disappointing but I blamed it all on using crappy house balls and being woefully out of practice :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 03:01 PM 12-19-2008
I loved to bowl, but my back just does not allow me to do so anymore. My wife's bank had a bowling night awhile back, after one game, I couldn't bend anymore. Very aggravating!
[Reply]
BHowe 04:32 PM 12-19-2008
I bowl, no tournies or anything, just a good old handicap league. I currently am averaging right around 190ish.

Love the sport and buy way to may bowling balls.
[Reply]
TonySmith 04:53 PM 12-19-2008
You guys carry nice averages. I like bowling, but no lanes close.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 04:56 PM 12-19-2008
I just started bowling again. 159 avg here. I suck. Roto Grip Illusion for me. Sweeps in Laughlin in April baby!
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 05:29 PM 12-19-2008
I bowl Sunday nights in a pretty non-serious league. Right now I'm sitting at a 180 average. I figure I'm still doing passable for an old guy. :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 08:59 PM 12-19-2008
I bowl on a Thursday night league - and sub on a Tuesday night team when needed.

Haven't bowled in over ten years - started last summer again as part of my rehab deal. Not doing to bad - not great either. High game so far is a 276. Most nights I have a good 1st and 2nd game but am worn out by the time the third game gets around. Also just can't seem to get past 7 strikes in a row - pissing me off. Most nights will have two games in the 195 to 240 range - and then throw a freaking 160 or some damn thing. Sucks on the average.

I'm rolling an Ebonite NV Complete and the NVD. I also have the Rapid Fire and Gravity Shift by Storm.

Ron
[Reply]
jonharky 09:32 PM 12-19-2008
I am on a league every Monday night 180 avg. Use a Rhino on oily lanes and a Head Hunter on dry
[Reply]
jonharky 09:34 PM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by RGD.:
I bowl on a Thursday night league - and sub on a Tuesday night team when needed.

Haven't bowled in over ten years - started last summer again as part of my rehab deal. Not doing to bad - not great either. High game so far is a 276. Most nights I have a good 1st and 2nd game but am worn out by the time the third game gets around. Also just can't seem to get past 7 strikes in a row - pissing me off. Most nights will have two games in the 195 to 240 range - and then throw a freaking 160 or some damn thing. Sucks on the average.

I'm rolling an Ebonite NV Complete and the NVD. I also have the Rapid Fire and Gravity Shift by Storm.

Ron
I have the same problem but in different order 2 weeks ago I bowled a 138 the first game (40 pins under avg) then bowled 235 and 245 there after
[Reply]
Partagaspete 02:59 AM 12-20-2008
Originally Posted by RGD.:

Ron

Dayam!

I hate to see what your like when your at 100%.

I am a tweener with medium rev's and throw at about 14 mph. I'd gues you to be a cranker.

T
[Reply]
14holestogie 03:16 AM 12-20-2008
I bowl regularly on Thursday nights and every other week in a Saturday couples league with RevSmoke and Pauline. A great excuse to break out a cigar in a warmer climate once or twice a week.
I average 200-210 with the occasional flash, but usually nothing spectacular or terrible. Games in the 190's to 230's usually. Had a couple 700's this year, a couple of 299's in past years.
I throw a 10 year old Bully for the most part. I get a lot of looks from the guys who are throwing new equipment it seems every other week, but I can usually hold my own against them with that old rock. More of a down and in type thrower, but I can still crank it up if need be.
I purchased a used Columbia Action Packed off Ebay for about $11 plugged, but need to see some more oil for that one. Perhaps it'll make the trip to Vegas in March for the USBC Nationals (24 years participation and counting).
You may think, Nationals, this guy must really be special. Nope, they'll take anyone's entry fee and humble you in the process. I believe in the close to 200 games I've thrown there, I've had a high of 277, but a whole lot more 160's. Probably a total of 10 600's, if that, but close to 100 400's. I think I'm averaging about 175 there in all my years. Humbling to say the least, but it's a great excuse to get out and about in the dead of winter.
Roll on.
[Reply]
BHowe 09:47 AM 12-20-2008
My current favorites are Roto Grip Cells in the original variety and the Pearl offering.
Hammer Black Widow Bite
Brunswick Twisted Fury
Brunswick BVP Rampage (spare and real dry lane ball)

And probably 15 others that just chill in the spare room closet. I'm sick.
[Reply]
Moglman 10:24 AM 12-20-2008
Good thread Tony. I haven't been out much over the past few years and thus my game is so off it's silly, not that my scores were ever that good. I don't have a feel for it anymore and need practice to come around again. I roll a Hammer Black Widow Pearl now and no longer have a spare ball. I'll pick one eventually. I tend to be an cranker, which leads to inconsistency.
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:25 AM 12-20-2008
In college I was a consistent 160-170 bowler...Now I'm a 140 if lucky. :-)
[Reply]
Tikihut27 10:48 AM 12-20-2008
I bowl in two leagues when I'm home. The National Guard sponsored my men's league- me and four Vietnam era vets- a Marine and a Soldier who were in-country, and a Marine and a Sailor who weren't. Team name: 5 Vets. I wanted "4 Old Vets and 1 Young Vet", but it wouldn't fit on the display. :-)

My wife and the Sailor bowl with me and his wife in a mixed league. My wife bowls in three leagues, how about that.

I bowl about 190 or so and roll an old Chaos ball that is totally out of date, but works for me.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 09:43 AM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by BHowe:
My current favorites are Roto Grip Cells in the original variety and the Pearl offering.
Hammer Black Widow Bite
Brunswick Twisted Fury
Brunswick BVP Rampage (spare and real dry lane ball)

And probably 15 others that just chill in the spare room closet. I'm sick.

The week I bought my Epic Saga the Cell went on sale for less than I bought the Saga. I felt ill but I do like it so it's okay. I really can't wait to get back stateside and get some better quality more consistent lanes. My friends that go back (to different areas of the states) all tell me that they increase thier averages 8-10 pins almost instantly.

Since this is my first Particle (the track) Do any of you guys have any maintenance tips i.e. what to clean it with and such?. Someone mentioned that in the summer they leave thier balls in the car to "sweat out" the oils. ANy thought on this??

T
[Reply]
rhdad42 10:08 AM 12-23-2008
I'm in a Tuesday night league, just a lot of guys hanging out and having fun. I'm averaging in the low 170s this year, throwing a Lane 1 G-Force Evolution. I threw a 269 a few weeks ago, but have been in the proverbial crapper ever since. I might switch to my Buzzsaw for a few weeks just to try something different. I love the game and hate it at the same time.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 10:25 AM 12-23-2008
I bowl every other week in a Saturday night couples league with my wife. My teammate couple is 14holestogie (Tim) and his wife Cid. I carry a 176 average. Got my first 600 (a 676) last season. I have about a dozen 599s. This past Saturday I choked in the last game, only needed 18 pins in the last frame to get another 600 - got 7 on the first ball an missed the spare.

It is a nice night to get out with the wife and maybe enjoy a cigar.

I'd love to bowl more often, but the leagues here for men are either Wed. or Thur. night and I have a service on Wed. and a Bible Study on Thurs.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up