< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>I've never bought a box
gettysburgfreak 02:04 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
you bought two boxes of credit cards?

yea something like that
[Reply]
Cigary 06:50 PM 12-13-2008
As soon as I knew I liked the cigar I bought a box of them and still do this 40 years later.
[Reply]
MiloFinch 07:33 PM 12-13-2008
Been smoking...3 years now? Never bought a box either. I buy singles and stuff, but never a box. The closest I've gotten to a box was a bundle of house brand sticks from local BM. Not the best. Not awful, but not good. You know how it goes.

You see, I suppose my problem (or blessing :-) ) is that I don't have a credit card. Just a debit card. So I can't really spend more than I actually have, and I'm pretty good about sticking to a budget.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 08:31 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
yea something like that
The things people buy
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 08:45 PM 12-13-2008
No hurry. I think I must have smoked cigars off and on for twenty five years before I even bought a humidor. :-)

Then it must have been another five years before I actually bought a full box - didn't want to fill that first humi up with just one brand. What fun would that be?

Tragically, a few years later things really started to go downhill...........

When the time is right, you'll know it. :-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 10:02 PM 12-13-2008
I probably didn't buy my first box of NC's till about a year after I started to smoke. It just worked out that way to tell you the truth. After finding a cigar I liked I bought a box.

I didn't buy a CC box till probably almost two years after I started to smoke. I wanted to wait a while to smoke a CC because I really wanted to be able to appreciate a CC.
[Reply]
joetownhound 10:08 PM 12-13-2008
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
I think there are 4 kinds of slopes.

1) The newb slope. Here you spend your paycheck's over and over again on Cigar Bid and CI samplers.
2) The box slops. Here is where things get ugly. Instead of buying 10 count samplers, you start really focusing on boxes of cigars you really enjoy. For sake of example, you get a Oliva Serie V Torpedo in a sampler or as a gift. Instead of buying a fiver, you just pick up a box. Repeat the process with all the cigars you like.
3) The cuban slope. This is the worst. At this point, you combine 1 and 2, but with CC's.
4) Finally, you have so many coolers, desktop's etc. that you get multiple cabinets, smoking rooms, smoking sheds, etc. That is if you still have a residence and your wife hasn't thrown you and your cigars out and taken the house. :-)

The moral of this lesson, Tenor, your about to hit #2, and 3 and 4 aren't far behind it. :-)
:-) Who is this man and how do he know me so well
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 10:17 PM 12-13-2008
Keep on smoking until you have your WoW moment , and then I think you'll know what to do . :-)
[Reply]
ConMan 10:17 PM 12-13-2008
I smoked for a number of years before I bought a box of cigars or a humidor. That was before I found the internet boards. After that, I was cooked. :-)
[Reply]
Silound 10:24 PM 12-13-2008
I started down the box slope hard. Everything I really liked, I'd buy a box of because it was cheaper per stick, and I like them. I'd smoke a few, maybe half the box, and get bored and move on to something new I tried and like. I've got well over 50+ partial boxes and a few dozen full boxes at this point, and I still go on the occasional rampage when the prices are good.

The only benefit I say to this is that I have random sticks and boxes with several years age on them, because I'd push something to the back/bottom of my storage and forget about it in favor of the new stuff. Eventually I run across real gems in my collection, like HdM Excalibur No. 2's that are 5 years old and are in nearly brown cello. Sometimes I run into things like Oliva G Maduros that I just don't smoke much of anymore, and end up trading or giving those away.
[Reply]
TomHagen 10:41 PM 12-13-2008
I have been smoking cigars consistantly for over 3 years and have yet to buy a full box for myself. For my bday last week I bought some of those CC specials, split with some friends, and a box of BOLI RC's for myself... but alas my wife suggested I split it up too....:-)

I did and will probably just buy a variety of other smokes.:-)

I just love the variety, even though it costs more. Buying a box is an investment for me, and I love about 5-10 smokes sooo much, plus new things I want to try, I cannot get around to investing in one box of one smoke.

I usually do box splits almost once a month on CC's, Tats, DPG or Padrons, 3-4 ways on a few boxes, helps keep the cost down and variety high.:-)

So alas I have never bought a box for my personal stash...
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 10:49 PM 12-13-2008
My path was not as typical as most as once I got hooked I didnt go crazy buying every cigar I could find in an effort to try it. I went from smoking cheap crap to quality NCs to cubans relatively quick. I looked for quality NC's, buy a few singles at a time, never off CI or Cbid. About a month after I started cigars my dad was on business overseas and stopped into a LCDH and got me a Siglo II and a Coronas Major. After having tried a fairly wide range of NC's I have focused my efforts on Cubans as I like the flavor profiles more. I had a small humi from thompsons that lasted for a few years, moved on to a small cooler, as I still only had singles and then on to a 100 count humi and finally to a vino where I currently have two boxes, the rest being singles.
[Reply]
loki 12:00 AM 12-14-2008
2+ years before I bought my first box....then I got 4
[Reply]
RichardW 12:02 AM 12-14-2008
I was smoking cigars for several years before buying my first box. It's a slippery slope :-)
[Reply]
bigloo 12:46 AM 12-14-2008
I have bought a box once. Like many here, I like a lot of variety. I glady give up a little cost to have this variety. Of course if space/cost was no issue, I would have variety and boxes.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:47 AM 12-14-2008
Although I have been smoking for a few years on an off. I never bought a box and didnt even have a humi. Soon after I started back regularly about 18 months ago I found CS. Bought my first box of NC's within weeks(Punch Rare Corojos). Within 6 months I had my first Vinotemp, then I discovered the Dark Side. The rest is history. :-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:28 AM 12-14-2008
2 weeks :-) I started to smoke in Indonesia, some Cohiba SigloII, MC#4 and some RyJ #2 tubos. Back in Singapore for a flight transfer I bought more singles and a dressbox of MC#4.
[Reply]
macpappy 06:00 AM 12-14-2008
I've found a few that I enjoy on a routine basis and that I am not ashamed to share. I will buy a box of these once a year and some go in my humidor and the remaining ones and the box go in a coolerador. The premium, special occasion, cigars (Illusione 888 for example) I buy three to five at a time and put one or two in the humidor and the rest in the cooler.

It works for me.
[Reply]
TripleF 07:02 AM 12-14-2008
Jacob - It was just about 2 years before I bought my first box of cigars. And I bought them at the Ybor Cigar Festival. Yep, right there at the 2008 EYH!!! It was a box of RP Sun Growns Toro.

-
[Reply]
floydpink 07:10 AM 12-14-2008
when I saw how nice my favorite cigars looked all lined up in a row,like little soldiers, , I knew I was a box buyer.:-)

Also, the empty boxes come in very handy for storing nuts and bolts and fishing stuff.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up