Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Oldest aged cigars you have
DaBear 10:54 AM 06-11-2013
Currently I've only got a few sticks older than a year, and none older than 3. Oldest I've ever had was a 98 Punch Corona from Patrick(bigswol). My first CC too.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:59 AM 06-11-2013
I have one from 1919 that i won in last year's auction, from Shilala. I'm thinking I"ll hold off smoking it until my birthday in 2019. I have a few other more recent vintages (30's/50's) that I can enjoy before then.
[Reply]
shilala 12:19 PM 06-11-2013
1909 and 1919.
[Reply]
357 12:37 PM 06-11-2013
2012 :-)
[Reply]
stearns 12:47 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by 357:
2012 :-)
for some reason, i dont believe you :-)
[Reply]
357 12:59 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by stearns:
for some reason, i dont believe you :-)
I can't prove it but you're welcome to stop by and verify my receipts.

Wait, on second thought, I do have one cigar from 1999. Everything else is current production.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:24 PM 06-11-2013
this is a very interesting idea. I'd love to hear some input from some of the many super-brainy folks here about if the aging process changes between long/mixed/short filler cigars.
Can idiots chime in?

To answer your question, nope.
A 10 year old long filler aged just as much as a 10 year old mixed which aged just as much as a 10 year old short filler, as long as all three where made on the same day, at the same time, if to be considered the same age.:-)
[Reply]
mahtofire14 01:38 PM 06-11-2013
00' HDM Churchill CC
[Reply]
markem 01:43 PM 06-11-2013
I dunno about aged. But the oldest un-aged cigars that I have are from the mid 80s.
[Reply]
stearns 02:11 PM 06-11-2013
i thought you were talking about the oldest you've smoked :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 02:53 PM 06-11-2013
RyJ cc from 2006. Got it before getting married, going to smoke it on 10-year anniversary. Other than that, my oldest is from 2011. I have a tendency to smoke just about everything I buy. :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 03:12 PM 06-11-2013
this is a very interesting idea. I'd love to hear some input from some of the many super-brainy folks here about if the aging process changes between long/mixed/short filler cigars.
My thought process on this is that picture a hot summer day and you have a cooler of beverages and when done with your beverages you dump the cooler of ice cubs out into the hot driveway...that is short filler. Now picture you have a large solid blocks of ice you toss out in the driveway as well...there is your long filler.

The group of smaller ice cubes due to surface area and density are going to melt more quickly than a larger block with more surface area. So the long filler will "maturate" more slowly, in theory, than a short filler. Or one could say the short filler cigar has more edges that are exposed to the elements vs. a properly hand rolled long filler. How often do you see the middle of a stick, aka the filler, dry out first vs the wrapper.

My logic and 3 cents.
[Reply]
FUEL 03:22 PM 06-11-2013

Wait, on second thought, I do have one cigar from 1999. Everything else is current production.
I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that and make the drive as long as I can spend the day coddling with your humi(s) :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Blueface 04:12 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by FUEL:
My thought process on this is that picture a hot summer day and you have a cooler of beverages and when done with your beverages you dump the cooler of ice cubs out into the hot driveway...that is short filler. Now picture you have a large solid blocks of ice you toss out in the driveway as well...there is your long filler.

The group of smaller ice cubes due to surface area and density are going to melt more quickly than a larger block with more surface area. So the long filler will "maturate" more slowly, in theory, than a short filler. Or one could say the short filler cigar has more edges that are exposed to the elements vs. a properly hand rolled long filler. How often do you see the middle of a stick, aka the filler, dry out first vs the wrapper.

My logic and 3 cents.
Don't think so.

I just got a headache reading this.:-)
[Reply]
FUEL 04:12 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Don't think so.

I just got a headache reading this.:-)
Lmao
[Reply]
T.G 04:52 PM 06-11-2013

My logic and 3 cents.

If this conversation were about plug tobacco versus loose tobacco, then maybe. But short vs long, nach.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:39 PM 06-11-2013

My logic and 3 cents.
The analogy of ice melting to tobacco maturing is about as valid as a 2013 check from Jimmy Hoffa, James. :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 07:03 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
The analogy of ice melting to tobacco maturing is about as valid as a 2013 check from Jimmy Hoffa, James. :-)
I explained it to several people and it made sense to them I think its just not translating from brain to fingers to keyboard.

I was just trying to say that with a short filler there is not as much protection if you will from the elements as a tightly wrapped long filler cigar and the short filler would lose its bite quicker due to it not being as tightly grouped I guess.

I dunno, F me, there is no hockey on tonight. All G-Damn day I have been looking forward to the Stanley Cup tonight and its not till tomorrow. Last nights 2 hours of "sleep" maybe catching up with me as well as my 260 mile round trip trek to the Mayo Clinic yesterday to have a second opinion on my knee.

So ignore the damn ice analogy and go with the first post Tom :-)

:-)

J.

PS - Aren't Tuesdays the day where you are limited to LE talk only like we discussed? Hmm? :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 07:05 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
If this conversation were about plug tobacco versus loose tobacco, then maybe. But short vs long, nach.
I slept at a Holiday Inn Express once but never claimed to be an expert. I think that is where my brain might have been headed or was thinking of a short filler of the Swisher Sweets variety.

Nach, nach, nach! :-)

SERENITY NOW!
[Reply]
357 07:41 AM 06-12-2013
I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that and make the drive as long as I can spend the day coddling with your humi(s) :-):-):-)
I think you'd spend 4-5 times as much in gas as my total value of cigars in my humi. Probably not a good trade :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up