Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Oldest aged cigars you have
FUEL 06:46 AM 06-11-2013
As the title states, what are the oldest aged cigars and the length of them time that you have had them sitting in your humi?

Reason I asked is that I read a redux on Halfwheel posted yesterday about Liga Papas Fritas after six months of age and how they lost some of the original profile and not in a likeable way, after just six months of age.

Liga Privad is one of my top three lines and IMHO after 3-6 weeks rest they are best ROTT hence why I think I can never keep the humi stocked lol.

Going to a rather large LP / DE event Thursday and am going to propose the same question to Faiben.

Thoughts?

And good morning to the Asylum!

:-)
J.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:52 AM 06-11-2013
My oldest stick is a tiny figurado from Germany that was made in 1930s. Was gifted to me at TriSheilds herf last year. Also have a couple from 1948 gifted to be my Scott (Shilala).

I have had ROTT LP #9s and some with a few years on them. While they are very tasty ROTT, they lose a little bit over age, but that won't stop me from keeping them in the humi.

One brand that I truly believe gets better with time are Olivas. Anything Oliva holds up to some time. Prime example is the Blue Cloth Bands...they are FANTASTIC!!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Garbandz 07:00 AM 06-11-2013
Oliva X, Camacho Corojo from the crop of 97,rolled in01. Cabanas 98, Flor de Cano 00,Vegueros 99.........
[Reply]
MrClean 07:11 AM 06-11-2013
I had 5 Fonseca's from '98. Just smoked the last one this past weekend :-)
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 07:14 AM 06-11-2013
My thoughts on why they aren't good after 6 months is that they have entered a sick period. 6 months is definitely when a sick period could hit. I'm sure once they come out of it they will fine.

As for me, I have some singles that are pre-castro to current, and boxes from the 80's to current. I started smoking cigars in 97, and probably still have some singles from boxes that I bought in the early 2000's still.
[Reply]
FUEL 07:19 AM 06-11-2013
Dang that's some time!

I noticed a dramatic difference on my palette from the first box of UF13s to the 4th box. Saka also acknowledged this on the Halfwheel forums. I wonder what it is about their blends that trigger that.

Playing devils advocate, when I had FFP's on a regular basis I had some over a year old and found very to little change with a year to 18 months in the humi.

Also trying to convince a friend to herf some of his 2007 Opus X's as they may have reached the point of diminishing returns... That and I want one hah!
[Reply]
stearns 08:05 AM 06-11-2013
I would suggest doing a google search for "cigar maturation cycles," there is a very expanded discussion of this concept in MRN's book, but there is some basic knowledge out there for free. there is little proven fact about this, but a whole lot of theory to get you thinking. without having tried the papas fritas being discussed myself, i would agree with Jack that they could be in their sick period. i'm curious as to how they taste in another 6 months.
[Reply]
jjirons69 08:53 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
My oldest stick is a tiny figurado from Germany that was made in 1930s. Was gifted to me at TriSheilds herf last year.
Smoke it, Mac! I smoked mine David Shane gave me. Pretty dang good. No reason to sit on it. At 80 years old, you don't want it to lose it's flavor profile. :-)

I've got some clear Havanas form the 40s and 50s and assorted NC/CCs from the 80s, 90s, and 00s.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:02 AM 06-11-2013
Patrick the Low Rent bleep gifted me some oldies going back to the 20s.
[Reply]
pektel 09:11 AM 06-11-2013
Oldest 2 sticks in my humi are a 96 Boli Corona and a 97 Upmann Monarcas.

I will not have that same answer the end of this summer. Because I'm gonna smoke both of em. I'd much rather say "I smoked one" than "I have one".

I relate to this quote:
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." -Ron White
[Reply]
ColdCuts 09:11 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
No reason to sit on it. At 80 years old, you don't want it to lose it's flavor profile. :-)
:-)

My oldest was a 1998 Romeo Y Julieta corona. It was gifted to me from I can't remember who, where, or when. Damn memory. But I burned that one up last Wednesday.

It was worth it. :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 09:12 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
My oldest stick is a tiny figurado from Germany that was made in 1930s. Was gifted to me at TriSheilds herf last year.
That is also the oldest cigar I have, and BTW that was the year before last. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 09:14 AM 06-11-2013
many on here have had the distinct pleasure of smoking a 1900's partagas thanks to the extreme generosity of one brother who rarely posts here. unfortunately, those are all gone now
[Reply]
pektel 09:24 AM 06-11-2013
As long as they all went up in flames instead of being cared for improperly, than I say it's fortunate!
[Reply]
bstarrs 10:17 AM 06-11-2013
LCG M'Or #3 2001, HDM Exquisitos, 1998
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:18 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
That is also the oldest cigar I have, and BTW that was the year before last. :-)
Damn...you are right Doug. :-) :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 10:37 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by stearns:
I would suggest doing a google search for "cigar maturation cycles," there is a very expanded discussion of this concept in MRN's book, but there is some basic knowledge out there for free. there is little proven fact about this, but a whole lot of theory to get you thinking. without having tried the papas fritas being discussed myself, i would agree with Jack that they could be in their sick period. i'm curious as to how they taste in another 6 months.
Thank you for the info! I had a PM conversation with one of the guys and the way he put it is that at least on an informal level he will be re-valuating at 9 and 12 months respectively.

My one guess on the PF's is the fact that they are a mixed filler and perhaps with the smaller pieces of tobacco not rolled as tight time progresses the "maturation cycle."
[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:40 AM 06-11-2013
Davidoff CC from the 1980s, a gift from Poker, I've had it for about 2.5yrs
[Reply]
FUEL 10:50 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Davidoff CC from the 1980s, a gift from Poker, I've had it for about 2.5yrs
Rather interesting timing as I just watched "Wallstreet" last night and remember when Bud Fox gives Gecko a box of Cuban Davidoffs lol. Movie was in '85 but the way Gecko spoke of them was that they were from sometime before that. Dunno.
[Reply]
stearns 10:50 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by FUEL:
My one guess on the PF's is the fact that they are a mixed filler and perhaps with the smaller pieces of tobacco not rolled as tight time progresses the "maturation cycle."
this is a very interesting idea. I'd love to hear some input from some of the many super-brainy folks here about if the aging process changes between long/mixed/short filler cigars.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up