Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Partagas 150
RevSmoke 10:32 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by Milvel:
I will let you know how it goes in October when we smoke them! Also, I purchased four so if your curiosity gets the best of you, and it's allowed here, we could work a trade of one!
I appreciate the offer, but I do not see me offering $65 worth of cigars, or anything else for that matter, for one stick - no matter how curious I might be.

Like I said, I do appreciate the offer.
[Reply]
pektel 10:38 AM 04-02-2013
I don't think anyone really knows where herf came from. I tried researching it once. The only semi-definitive fact I learned was the word's first online usage on alt.smokers.cigars back in 1996. But even then, it was used to refer to the draw of a cigar, and not the expanded meaning it has today.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:14 PM 04-02-2013
I think the Partagas will be papery and clean tasting like some other old NC's I have smoked. Not a ton of flavor, but no bad aftertaste and a delicate smoke. I could be totally wrong on the 150's and feel free to tell me so.

Remember that the wrappers on the 150th were like 13 years old already and that Partagas back then were using well aged tobacco throughout the cigar.
[Reply]
Milvel 12:26 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I think the Partagas will be papery and clean tasting like some other old NC's I have smoked. Not a ton of flavor, but no bad aftertaste and a delicate smoke. I could be totally wrong on the 150's and feel free to tell me so.

Remember that the wrappers on the 150th were like 13 years old already and that Partagas back then were using well aged tobacco throughout the cigar.
I did not know that, MB. I've fairly new to the cigar game and tend to cling to Fuente stuff since that's the stuff I know and like the best so far. I'm sure he will enjoy the experience and the flash back he'll get when we smoke these bad boys. I really love the collector aspect of cigars! I've tried my best in the past 18 months to buy things most people can't get their hands on with a tiny bit of success, but now I'm lacking stuff I can smoke!

I do love the Liga line, the Davidoff Colorado Claro and the Le Bijou are all pretty solid smokes but mannnn I love me some Opus! Speaking of Opus - Does anyone frequent the cigar shop in Las Vegas (Casa Fuente)? I go to Vegas once a year and always seem to forget to stop by.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:57 PM 04-02-2013
I'd only go into the Fuente Shop to buy cigars if the tables were hot. That's a lot of money for cigars, best for "easy come, easy go" money.

Fuente and Davidoff both excellent cigars. Try the Don Carlos line from Fuente; they were their top of the line cigar before the Opus came out. The Opus was a big deal because the wrapper was from the DR and previously no one had real success with DR wrappers. Don Carlos is a Cameroon wrapper (if not mistaken), which are quite flavorful.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:12 PM 04-02-2013

Interesting. Most of the older NCs I've had which were papery and clean, were cigars that were improperly stored and had dried out some. Also, I had a few with some age one them which were rolled since 2000, or to my cigar calendar, more recent cigars - which seemed to have that problem.

Older stuff seemed to age better. I had a couple cigars lately that were 15 years old or better, a couple that were 18 years old. Very nice smokes.

Here's a question for you mosesbotbol. (I have a theory in mind) Do you like fuller bodied and/or strong cigars? In other words, could the training your palate has undergone been formative in your reaction to older cigars as being papery and clean? (Mind you, I am not saying it is, just speculating out loud)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:36 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Here's a question for you mosesbotbol. (I have a theory in mind) Do you like fuller bodied and/or strong cigars? In other words, could the training your palate has undergone been formative in your reaction to older cigars as being papery and clean? (Mind you, I am not saying it is, just speculating out loud)
Actually I am a medium at best smoker. I use to like them stronger/fuller in my younger years... Being a Habanos fan, they are not as strong as many NC's.

The top NC's tend to use older tobacco than Cuba, so they are already ahead of the game. Add significant box aging and you mileage will vary. Several NC brands don't even talk about box aging being necessary.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:44 PM 04-02-2013
Actually I am a medium at best smoker. I use to like them stronger/fuller in my younger years... Being a Habanos fan, they are not as strong as many NC's.

The top NC's tend to use older tobacco than Cuba, so they are already ahead of the game. Add significant box aging and you mileage will vary. Several NC brands don't even talk about box aging being necessary.
Hmm, I guess that shoots that theory.

I will be curious to see how this all plays out.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:21 AM 04-05-2013
So, did you pick up the 150s? I know you did not smoke them yet, but how do they look?
[Reply]
Milvel 08:44 AM 04-05-2013
I received them on Wednesday, Rev. They were very hard and had darker than normal wrappers. I talked it over with a buddy of mine who has had 150s in the past and he thinks they are real but probably weren't taken care of properly. He has a buddy that offered to sell him a few so when those come in I'll take side by side shots so yall can see what I'm talking about. Overall, I'm a little bummed by the product I received for the price I paid but I have 6 months to revive these mofos before my father's birthday so there's still hope.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:49 AM 04-05-2013
Don't be too disappointed. They were fairly dark, it was a nice Cameroon wrapper on these bad boys. As far as hard, as long as they are not crisp, that my not be a problem either. They do firm up a bit sometimes as they age.
[Reply]
Milvel 10:19 AM 04-05-2013
Don't be too disappointed. They were fairly dark, it was a nice Cameroon wrapper on these bad boys. As far as hard, as long as they are not crisp, that my not be a problem either. They do firm up a bit sometimes as they age.
That's good to know. I'll post some pictures when the other 150s come in and hopefully by then my attempt are reviving will have started to take effect.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:24 AM 04-05-2013
That's good to know. I'll post some pictures when the other 150s come in and hopefully by then my attempt are reviving will have started to take effect.
Don't go out of your way to do anything with them. Just put in a humidor and let time take its course. Cigars are seperated by shade, so the box they had were just darker ones; not a reason of concern.

I don't think the 150's had Cameroon wrappers, but I could be and am often wrong...
[Reply]
Milvel 11:16 AM 04-05-2013
I'm a giant cigar noob, but I thought the original wrapper was very very light colored like Davidoff stuff? Unless they made two different versions of the 150 in both types of wrapper? Either way, my father hasn't smoked one in YEARS so I highly doubt he'll remember every detail. I think it will be more about the experience than anything else.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:31 AM 04-05-2013
Don't go out of your way to do anything with them. Just put in a humidor and let time take its course. Cigars are seperated by shade, so the box they had were just darker ones; not a reason of concern.

I don't think the 150's had Cameroon wrappers, but I could be and am often wrong...
34 year old Cameroon wrapper. That was the special-ness of that cigar.

Here is one write up. In 1995, master cigar maker Ramón Cifuentes released a limited quantity of Partagas 150 Signature Series cigars to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the acclaimed Partagas brand. Amongst the rarest cigars ever produced, these beauties are embellished with a rare reserve of aged, vintage African Cameroon wrapper leaves harvested from a 1977 crop. A combination of rich, medium-bodied, well balanced flavors and an enticing aroma will delight your senses, creating an enjoyable smoking experience never to be forgotten.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:32 AM 04-05-2013
I'm a giant cigar noob, but I thought the original wrapper was very very light colored like Davidoff stuff? Unless they made two different versions of the 150 in both types of wrapper? Either way, my father hasn't smoked one in YEARS so I highly doubt he'll remember every detail. I think it will be more about the experience than anything else.
Here is a link with a picture of one. http://www.stogieguys.com/2007/04/04...tagas-150.html

They were nowhere near as light colored as Davidoff stuff. Again, this was a Cameroon wrapper, so at the very lightest, it would have been a caramel color.
[Reply]
Milvel 11:51 AM 04-05-2013

Here are the two pictures I took on Wednesday of the 150s. :-)

*edit - turned into pictures instead of links because I'm smart!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:23 PM 04-05-2013
34 year old Cameroon wrapper. That was the special-ness of that cigar.
I knew wrappers were old, but what kind I was not sure.
[Reply]
Milvel 08:45 AM 04-13-2013
Rev, I smoked one of these yesterday with a buddy and THEY WERE AMAZING. I'm definitely glad I made this purchase.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:08 PM 04-13-2013
Rev, I smoked one of these yesterday with a buddy and THEY WERE AMAZING. I'm definitely glad I made this purchase.
They were astounding smokes when they were fresh.

Glad you enjoyed them!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up