Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>why is college so expensive?
kelmac07 10:17 AM 09-01-2011
Isn't your GI Bill paying for this? :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:50 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Isn't your GI Bill paying for this? :-)
thats the sad part, my 500 per semester for books didnt cover this. but yes its paying tuition and most of the dorm room.
[Reply]
maninblack 10:52 AM 09-01-2011
I guess that is a bright spot then.
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:53 AM 09-01-2011
yeah 9k per-semester is paid for
[Reply]
357 11:46 AM 09-01-2011
The more I read about the current state of American universities the more I'm convinced it's not much more than a ponzi scheme.
[Reply]
sikk50 11:48 AM 09-01-2011
My first semester I paid as much for books as for classes ($1500). The only reason it wasn't like that other semesters was they allowed us to use e books and CSU tuition went through the roof. My last semesters tuition cost me twice as much as my first semester! I graduated in December, but word is it went up another good chunk before spring semester.
[Reply]
cricky101 12:03 PM 09-01-2011
There were always a couple copies in the library for all of my classes. Couldn't check them out, but could go sit there and read for free or photocopy needed pages for a few cents/page.
[Reply]
Ismith75 12:08 PM 09-01-2011
Haha I feel your pain brotha, just spent 500 on my finance book
[Reply]
M1903A1 12:10 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
The more I read about the current state of American universities the more I'm convinced it's not much more than a ponzi scheme.
:-) ^^^ What he said.
[Reply]
357 12:18 PM 09-01-2011
I don't get why all college books, and high school books for that matter, aren't electronic. I mean Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press around 1440. Do you think after nearly 700 years we could move on to another form of media? Perhaps one that is free to distribute?

I'm not suggesting we do away with copyrights, just the bulk of the cost which is printing and distribution.
[Reply]
Apoco 12:21 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
Im hoping a bachelors in Integrated Supply Management gets me somewhere. Im looking to get a masters in Logistics aswell. Ill need to get accepted to MSU's business graduate program for that though.
Logistics is a great way to go.

And Devan, there are jobs out there. I'm on my 3rd one (by choice) since I graduated in May of 2010 with a double major in Accounting & Finance. Don't let the economy scare you too much. Start applying for internships nice and early - that experience means the world.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't address your topic at all. It is a scam. I had one class where the professor wrote the book and it was "required". Such a rip.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:33 PM 09-01-2011
I don't get why all college books, and high school books for that matter, aren't electronic. I mean Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press around 1440. Do you think after nearly 700 years we could move on to another form of media? Perhaps one that is free to distribute?

I'm not suggesting we do away with copyrights, just the bulk of the cost which is printing and distribution.

Once the format becomes obsolete, the electricity goes out, the battery dies, you drop your reader, or whatever; then where are you? Books are already perfect the way they are, and require nothing else in order to read. All electronic media requires hardware, software and power support in order to function. A book requires only itself.
[Reply]
Devanmc 01:12 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Apoco:
Logistics is a great way to go.

And Devan, there are jobs out there. I'm on my 3rd one (by choice) since I graduated in May of 2010 with a double major in Accounting & Finance. Don't let the economy scare you too much. Start applying for internships nice and early - that experience means the world.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't address your topic at all. It is a scam. I had one class where the professor wrote the book and it was "required". Such a rip.
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah just getting out of the army and havent started school. So hopefully ill get an idea what kind of jobs to apply for threw this year of experience.
[Reply]
sikk50 01:40 PM 09-01-2011

My last semester they had just started offering most books in electronic forms. I got one book like that bc it was a ton cheaper, but I discovered I prefer to have a hard copy. Highlighting and flipping pages checking you're scribbled margin notes is a lot more effective, IMHO, on a hard copy than an electronic one.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 01:47 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by loki:
that's what everyone told me when I graduated in 05 and I'm still waiting for that to come true. the only benefit to being in college now is that hopefully things will rebound before you graduate.
University is about learning how to learn and think which in turn increases your long term earning potential. Except for very specific fields like medicine, law, engineering, etc it's not (unfortunately) about going to school to get a job. It definitely pays off in the long run, especially given that an undergrad degree is no longer considered something special or unique by most professional employers. Not having one in those fields is like coming to the poker table without ante stakes... you don't get to join the game.
[Reply]
shark 03:08 PM 09-01-2011
I'd like to see how much the professors and university administrators rake in every year in salaries...
[Reply]
markem 03:16 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by shark:
I'd like to see how much the professors and university administrators rake in every year in salaries...
For public institutions, you should be able to request a copy of the budget at the library. It should include a breakdown of salaries by name/department. I would imagine that it would be available both in print and electronic formats.

For private schools, well, good luck with that one.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:29 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by shark:
Most of them don't make nearly as much as you seem to fear they do, with a full tenured professor at all but the fanciest schools topping out around $80K or so, with top administrators getting perhaps twice that on average. There are exceptions, on both sides of the curve.

In other words, your average educator earns in a year about what your average corporate scumbag steals in a week . . . or a good day. :-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 03:39 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Most of them don't make nearly as much as you seem to fear they do, with a full tenured professor at all but the fanciest schools topping out around $80K or so, with top administrators getting perhaps twice that on average. There are exceptions, on both sides of the curve.
This. For example I currently work as a senior IT admin in a public health authority (completely unrelated to my degree in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry btw), my father was a toxicology professor and my uncle-in-law a history prof.. both retired as full profs at the top of their institutions pay scales. 10 years into my career I make about $12K - $15K more than my uncle and about $5K less than my father, compared to wages at retirement in both cases. Academics is not a profession to choose if your career ambition is to become wealthy.
[Reply]
Old Sailor 07:04 PM 09-01-2011
Try and pay that over here.....more like double the $$$$$ for that many!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up