Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>why is college so expensive?
Devanmc 08:10 AM 09-01-2011
I just spent 705bucks on what amounts to this...

2 of which i just realized they didnt even ******* bind together :-) which were 160 apeice!!!
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:29 AM 09-01-2011
Market forces. People want to go to college so that they can maximize their lifetime earning potential. Because this is so important to so many people, colleges and universities (as well as textbook publishers) can raise their "prices" (tuition, fees, etc.) with impunity, because they know that plenty of people will pay it. I'm glad I didn't go.
[Reply]
Ogre 08:35 AM 09-01-2011
The states regulate what the schools can charge for tuition, so the schools mark up the books 1000% to make budget. You cant take the class without the required materials.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:41 AM 09-01-2011
Check out Chegg.com to see if they have those two textbooks at least. They usually don't have anything that's loose like the top three.
[Reply]
maninblack 08:50 AM 09-01-2011
It will be worth it in the end Devan. Trust me.
[Reply]
loki 08:52 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by maninblack:
It will be worth it in the end Devan. Trust me.
that's what everyone told me when I graduated in 05 and I'm still waiting for that to come true. the only benefit to being in college now is that hopefully things will rebound before you graduate.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:56 AM 09-01-2011
Devan were these new or used? I remember saving a sh!t ton on used books.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:58 AM 09-01-2011
half.com :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 09:02 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Devan were these new or used? I remember saving a sh!t ton on used books.
half new half used. the new ones weren't available used.
[Reply]
thechrisdotcom 09:11 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by loki:
that's what everyone told me when I graduated in 05 and I'm still waiting for that to come true. the only benefit to being in college now is that hopefully things will rebound before you graduate.
What did you major in?
[Reply]
irratebass 09:13 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
half new half used. the new ones weren't available used.
Bummer :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 09:17 AM 09-01-2011
Sorry to hear this. I guess I got lucky and graduated before the economy went to sh!t.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 09:17 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Check out Chegg.com to see if they have those two textbooks at least. They usually don't have anything that's loose like the top three.
+1 for chegg, I try to get all my books for things outside my major from them
[Reply]
Wolfgang 09:20 AM 09-01-2011
abebooks.com is where i get mine.
[Reply]
loki 09:20 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by thechrisdotcom:
What did you major in?
something useless from the liberal arts side of the house
[Reply]
Devanmc 09:32 AM 09-01-2011
Im hoping a bachelors in Integrated Supply Management gets me somewhere. Im looking to get a masters in Logistics aswell. Ill need to get accepted to MSU's business graduate program for that though.
[Reply]
thechrisdotcom 09:36 AM 09-01-2011
something useless from the liberal arts side of the house
is it the major you got not very useful towards most business jobs or something?
[Reply]
OLS 09:56 AM 09-01-2011
Books.....the world's largest scam. It is crooked from every angle. New they rape you.
Buying your used "new" books, they treat them like they are useless and pay you accordingly.
For the next sucker, suddenly your old "useless" books are worth 80% of their original new cost. I can still
remember my Mom holding back the bile, tears and curses when she paid those bills. Thank goodness for
the little the USAF gave me.
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:00 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Books.....the world's largest scam. It is crooked from every angle. New they rape you.
Buying your used "new" books, they treat them like they are useless and pay you accordingly.
For the next sucker, suddenly your old "useless" books are worth 80% of their original new cost. I can still
remember my Mom holding back the bile, tears and curses when she paid those bills. Thank goodness for
same here, i thought the 500 the GI gave me would be enough. guess not :-)

damn *****es...
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:12 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
My local paper had an article on a new twist on this now. Some colleges are requiring students to register for electronic copies of these books, instead of going the old hardback route. It's kind of like registering software, though--1 ID per student per enrolled class. The books are available in pdf or eReader format. Sounds cool & easy, right?

The bad news is that there is no price discount for the text, and once you activate the code, you can't transfer the e-copy. So, no reselling, no used book discount, etc. Seems like another scam.

Here's the link, it's more of an opinion piece but it kind of gets the point across:

http://www2.richmond.com/news/2011/j...ks-ar-1083940/
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up