Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Asking for the Father's Blessing?
hscmit 08:29 PM 01-01-2011
I asked, after 6 years of dating they sort of figured it was coming
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 07:54 AM 01-04-2011
I asked. My wife and I had been dating over 2 years and I had a pretty good relationship with her father but it still took 4 or 5 trips helping him carry stuff in from the car before I could find the courage to finally ask him.

In my book it's just the right thing to do.
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:11 AM 01-04-2011
The first time around, I asked because my bride wasn't 18 yet. The second time around, I wanted to ask but was denied the opportunity due to timing.

My daughter's fiancé didn't ask me... They're getting married in May! I think it would have been a sign of respect. However, I think things are different now and people lack social decorum.

It is what it is! Ask if you can or if the situation presents itself!
:-)
[Reply]
STEVE S 08:41 AM 01-04-2011
I think that it is best to ask, I wish that I had done so at the time (40 years ago), but I still had a good relationship with my in-laws. :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 08:47 AM 01-04-2011
I asked in person about two weeks prior to popping the question. I'm glad I did. My FIL was pleased.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:55 AM 01-04-2011
I asked my Father in Law. I felt it was the right thing to do. It also gave me an opportunity to go over with him my plans for life and the life I would provide for her.

I hope the boy my daughter will choose will do the same.
[Reply]
landhoney 01:33 PM 01-04-2011
I asked my father in law, it was probably almost a full year before I actually got around to asking my wife, but I had asked him. My wife and I had been going out for a while (years), so I knew he approved, but I asked anyway (2005). :-)
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 01:56 PM 01-04-2011
I agree it's the right thing for a guy to do. However, for any father who was not asked by the son-in-law, keep in mind they simply might not have known the tradition and wasn't trying to dodge the question.

I was married 7 years ago and was with my wife for almost 3 years before I proposed and had a great relationship with my future in-laws. However, somehow I never knew about the tradition until 2 weeks before I was going to propose when someone asked me if I asked for a blessing... I lived in Hawaii and my in-laws in Seattle so I got on the phone twice a day trying to get in touch with the father. Finally, the day before I was going to propose, I had to leave a voicemail in the machine saying I really wanted to talk to (the father) and tried calling for the last week or so with no luck. I then proposed and later found out that her dad was gone hunting for over a week and the mother was out of town too. So my father-in-law did not know until after the fact but the parents appreciated that I at least tried calling beforehand. And yes I realize some guys might just be losers and not knowing the tradition might not sit so well...

After I proposed, my wife also asked me how I asked for her father's blessing since we lived so far away... so yes, I think it's the right thing to do but I wouldn't necessarily hold it against the son-in-law if he doesn't know the tradition. If he doesn't ask and you feel he's just spiting you, then he's a punk ass! LOL
[Reply]
Tio Gato 03:06 PM 01-04-2011
I asked my FIL after a round of golf. I was so nervous I didn't get up the courage to ask him until after two beers in the club house. He said "You should probably try living with her first, she can be very selfish.":-)
I'm glad I didn't take his advice, we've been married for 17 years and it's been great.
[Reply]
Chingas 10:22 PM 01-04-2011
Call me old school but I believe in tradition and respect. I think it's out of respect to ask her Father to give her away to you. If I were to ever do it, in person is the only way bit if that's not possible, a phone call is better than nothing. Two Cents for what it's worth. I guess Two Cents IS what it's worth!
[Reply]
Slow Triathlete 07:53 AM 01-05-2011
I've been married twice and have asked their father both times. I grew up in the South and it is one of those things that I think is proper.

Not that their answers would have mattered....I would have done it either way. But it's the asking that counts.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up