Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>B&M ettiquete question
icehog3 12:06 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by Stinky:
She won't make it unless her response to "Loose the Perfume, honey." is met with understanding.
She might be even more likely to be understanding if she isn't greeted with a condescending label. :-)
[Reply]
Stinky 12:36 AM 10-17-2010
Oh come on, Tom! I share my honest opinion and you zoom in on my attempt to be brief on how to tell her to loose the perfume?

Ok. You're right.
:-)
A more appropriate presentation would be something on the order of: "Excuse me, Miss (insert name). We've noticed you wear a lot of perfume. You see, the enjoyment of fine cigars is about the essence of flavors and aroma. People who enjoy fine cigars often find the excessive perfume somewhat of a distraction and perhaps even a bit offensive in this environment. Would you please consider using less perfume when you are scheduled to work here?"

Happy now?
[Reply]
icehog3 12:38 AM 10-17-2010
I am always happy, Dan. :-)

And you did say, " now let er rip!" :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 01:34 AM 10-17-2010
I think you want her to LOSE the perfume. I agree but eh...if shes hot I'd say lose the perfume or the shirt...either/or and I'll come back for one reason or the other.
[Reply]
kydsid 07:36 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking the whole time reading the replies. Cute or not, she is doing a huge No-No for the cigar industry. She needs to drop the perfume or fine a new profession. I would be all over the owner of the cigar shop about it and be very clear that her overpowering perfume is not very appealing for serious cigar shoppers.
That is something I have been thinking about. I have become a regular and there are many other regulars. But none of them reach our level, if you get the compliment. :-)

That and the fact they all smoke out of the B&M humidor. Now maybe its because the owner and manager were 'nice' to them just like me in stating their preference to smoke their cigars. Of course I explain that I spend an average of $10-20 a visit and they say thanks. But I swear one more excuse me about the cigars I choose to bring (no bands btw) and with this on top of it I will need a new B&M. Which sucks as it is very nice and two blocks away. The next store of this calliber is miles away.

Originally Posted by Bill86:
I think you want her to LOSE the perfume. I agree but eh...if shes hot I'd say lose the perfume or the shirt...either/or and I'll come back for one reason or the other.

Haha, now that is what I am talking about. :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 07:39 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
If you weren't my friend, I'd suggest you have your gf drive her over. :-)
Sorry. You'll just have to come meet us yourself.

Sincerely,

Kelly
[Reply]
Shadow 08:37 AM 10-17-2010
I had a husband and wife come into the shop a couple of months ago. As they walked by me all I could smell was the wife's perfume(very strong!). As he got ready to walk in the humidor he turned and asked his wife to stay out while he went in. She got a quizzical look on her face and asked him why she could not go in. He came right out and told her that she would stick up the humidor and the cigars with her perfume!

She got mad and stormed out of the store. The husband got his cigars came out and as I was ringing him up he apologized to me for her. I just thanked him.

As far as I know he's still alive!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:33 AM 10-17-2010
I would not ban any perfume from her wearing, but she has to understand that if it can be smelled more than 3' from her, it's way too much. Often we are desensitized by the fragrances we wear most often. We think the fragrance is fading, but it is not.

It’s not like the cigar B&M’s are making money hand over fist, so owners should be appreciative of their employees and especially a pretty one who may add value beyond just cigar knowledge.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:35 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Sorry. You'll just have to come meet us yourself.

Sincerely,

Kelly
:-) :-)
[Reply]
insanebikerboy 09:40 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
"We now offer stripper flavored cigars!"
Desperation combined with a hint crack?
[Reply]
marge796 11:06 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by Stinky:
They might as well put up a big billboard that says:

This girl just doesn't get it!

( . . . the "IT" would be this whole cigar thingy )

Did you know:
Cigar factory workers are not allowed to wear any type of perfume or cologne because tobacco will absorb slight odors.
And this guy calls himself a Tobacconist?

Hey! This is just my opinion. If her perfume is so strong that you can smell it in a cigar smoking lounge. . . she just doesn't have a clue and probably never will. An overly strong dose of perfume means she needs (and wants) to be noticed. Also just my opinion. She won't make it unless her response to "Loose the Perfume, honey." is met with understanding.

What should YOU do? Wait until you and the owner are alone without anyone within earshot. Be very clear. Be very decisive. Be brief. Again, just my personal opinion. I just don't like it when anyone (man or woman) wearing an overpowering coating of perfume/cologne. . . even outside a cigar/tobacco shop. To me, a woman with 'class' wears only a "hint" of perfume you detect when you're close. Too much perfume tends to make a woman seem "cheap" . . . Again, just my opinion. And what I'd tell the owner; "Next time I get a nose full of her perfume, it will be my last time here."

Ok. I shared my honest opinion . . . now let er rip!

[Reply]
Brutus2600 11:54 AM 10-17-2010
It isn't good practice to wear strong scented perfumes/cologne in most workplace environments, much less at a cigar shop. Many people are allergic or get very bad headaches when presented with such strong scented stuff in small environments (an office, humidor, whatever). The fact that it's ruining your cigar smoking experience is just one more reason she shouldn't be wearing such strong perfume.

In my opinion you should talk to the owner. It's not your place to tell her how she should wear her perfume, however it is her bosses job to do so. Just put it nicely, mention how otherwise she's a great employee, just that the perfume is getting in the way of your cigar experience. He should be understanding and take care of the issue.

Oh, and as others have said...

:-) hehe, just kidding, don't gtfo out of your own thread, but srsly, :-)
[Reply]
sikk50 11:57 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by insanebikerboy:
Desperation combined with a hint crack?
No no no, too much perfume, makeup, and glitter. :-)
[Reply]
insanebikerboy 04:36 PM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
No no no, too much perfume, makeup, and glitter. :-)
Dang, I guess I hang out at the wrong type of strip clubs then! :-)
[Reply]
ninjavanish 05:24 PM 10-17-2010
My advice, Having worked in and managed cigar stores in which women were employed... And actually having to have this same discussion on multiple occasions with different ones...

If she is the manager/owner you will need to go directly to her and have a frank, direct conversation with her about it. If she is simply an employee it's a slightly tougher nut to crack... if this is the case:

Simply asking her will not work. EVER. DO NOT DO THAT. DANGER DANGER!

The last thing you want is to create any animosity between you and the people who are there to serve you. If she is professional and you approach her boss and her boss asks then it's one thing she will have to comply with from an employment standpoint... conveniently enough this is also probably the best method of alleviating the problem discreetly.

If she is an employee and you ask her directly you run an extremely high risk of offending her and jeopardizing the experience you have there.

Just as the employees of a cigar store should respect the customers, the customers should also respect those who are there to serve them.

Hope that helps.
[Reply]
Research-Colin 07:26 AM 10-20-2010
good advice here. Have you said anything to the owner or her yet? Very interesting.
[Reply]
357 08:26 AM 10-20-2010
lots of good suggestions, yet no pictures...

I must reiterate
[Reply]
neoflex 08:44 AM 10-20-2010
Pics, or this issue does not exist.:-):-)
[Reply]
md4958 08:57 AM 10-20-2010
For me it would really depend on how hot she is... seriously.

Also, if she's not hot enough I would talk to her boss about either getting somebody hotter, or asking her to town down the perfume.
[Reply]
Volt 09:16 AM 10-20-2010
Originally Posted by 357:
lots of good suggestions, yet no pictures...

I must reiterate
Originally Posted by neoflex:
Pics, or this issue does not exist.:-):-)
:-) .357 and Neo are quite correct.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up