Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Mosin Nagant
M1903A1 06:56 PM 01-03-2010
Here's a different one...I own a 91 long rifle that was made in the US by New England Westinghouse. It was made under contract for the Tsarist government during WW1 but, due to some pesky revolution (what an annoyance!:-)) was never shipped.
[Reply]
JE3146 07:04 PM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by quantim0:
I have one. I don't have a lot of mil-surp stuff, but I like my K31 and 98/48 Mauser more then the 91/30. But you have to like the 91/30 for it's awesome crude Russian simplicity.

I order tons of stuff from AIM and they are a great company to deal with. They're my go-to for almost everything.
I have a hard time choosing a favorite between the Swiss K31 and the M1 Garand.

Love them both.

The K31 is a marvel of precision engineering for its time and the Garand well.... it's a Garand :-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 07:12 PM 01-03-2010
you have to like the 91/30 for it's awesome crude Russian simplicity.
Mosin-Nagants always remind me of an armorer's description of the M1910 Maxim machine gun that served alongside it: Crude and unexceptional, but reliable in all conditions and made to be repaired by the village blacksmith.
[Reply]
Alarmguy1 07:27 PM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by JE3146:

Love them both.

The K31 is a marvel of precision engineering for its time and the Garand well.... it's a Garand :-)
I am kicking myself in the ass because in 1973 I could have bought M1 Garands for $69.95 and $3.00 shipping.

Alarmguy1
[Reply]
quantim0 09:45 PM 01-03-2010

Love them both.

Only gun I ever regret getting rid of so far was my Garand. I really needed money and sold it to a friend. I was a late '42 Springfield. The barrel was toast and it wasn't very original, but I loved it. I need to find one to replace it soon.
[Reply]
JE3146 10:19 PM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by Alarmguy1:
I am kicking myself in the ass because in 1973 I could have bought M1 Garands for $69.95 and $3.00 shipping.

Alarmguy1
Ack.. I paid 650 for mine and thought I got a deal. This was well before the recent mass importation of Korean M1 Garands by CMP.
[Reply]
JE3146 10:25 PM 01-03-2010
Only gun I ever regret getting rid of so far was my Garand. I really needed money and sold it to a friend. I was a late '42 Springfield. The barrel was toast and it wasn't very original, but I loved it. I need to find one to replace it soon.
Mine is far from original and was refinished by the previous user, but they did a great job on the stockset. Throat erosion wasn't much and is pretty dang accurate.

Looks great and always gets compliments. Don't get me wrong, there's a certain fascination I have with guns with character, just this one is the exception :-)

Actually it's funny because people laugh at me for treating my beat up 'old guns' like they're safe queens, then tossing my 'newsish' and extremely expensive AR-15 on the bed of the pickup like a peice of scrap metal as I pickup the dirty magazine off the ground and reload it. :-)
[Reply]
quantim0 07:38 AM 01-04-2010
Actually it's funny because people laugh at me for treating my beat up 'old guns' like they're safe queens, then tossing my 'newsish' and extremely expensive AR-15 on the bed of the pickup like a peice of scrap metal as I pickup the dirty magazine off the ground and reload it. :-)
I do the same. The way I see it is; my ARs are tools, they are meant to be used hard to ensure they will work when I need one. They make more every day. If I break one, I can get replacement parts easy or build a new one.

With any mil-surp, what is made is it There's no more going to be made. If I destroy one, that takes one out of the worlds supply. To me they are functional pieces of history and should be treated as such.
[Reply]
Titan410 02:49 AM 01-05-2010
Anybody have their C&R license? If you like milsurp guns like the Mosin and Garand, you need to get one. You'll recoup your $30 on your first purchase not to mention discounts from the likes of Brownells and Midway.

Some info:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...fl03/index.asp
[Reply]
Alarmguy1 04:46 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by Titan410:
Anybody have their C&R license? If you like milsurp guns like the Mosin and Garand, you need to get one. You'll recoup your $30 on your first purchase not to mention discounts from the likes of Brownells and Midway.

Some info:

Just ordered the paperwork. As soon as I get it I am sending in for the C&R. Then the waiting game.

Alarmguy1
[Reply]
JE3146 11:06 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by Titan410:

Some info:
I was an 03FFL, but I let it expire.

It's too easy to buy things. :-) Just cant do it like I used to with things like 'rent', 'car payments' and 'insurance' :-)
[Reply]
Diesel Kinevel 06:18 PM 01-05-2010
TriShield has one, I shoot it. Its fun:-)

-Z
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up