Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Computer Virus
TheRiddick 10:31 PM 04-14-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I am convinced that these viruses are made by Norton & Co. just to sell more of their product.
A bunch of us, old IT guys, think this may be true. Don't forget, Norton was not much back in the day, all of a sudden a "virus" thing made it huge. As is, Norton is as much a virus as anything out there, it makes any PC crawl and it is next to impossible to root it out. I once spent a full day hacking through the registry and still didn't wipe it out completely. Same for McAfee, BTW.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:32 PM 04-14-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
The tickets...or me and Tom?:-)
Have you seen Tom???? The tickets bro :-)

ROFL!
[Reply]
butterB 01:58 AM 04-15-2009
buy a Mac... all your virus problems will be gone
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 02:59 AM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Every site I tried to reach, I got a message, with an Internet Explorer logo at the top, from a Spyware company saying the site I was trying to reach was unsafe, and that I could buy their software for $49.99 to solve the problem.

When I found the icon for the Spyware company on my lower icons and right-clicked it, it began a "software" scan. Each time I hit it to stop, it would restart where it left off each time I tried to click on something else. Told me I had 74 "severe risk" viruses on my computer, and that their Spyware would fix it for $49.99.

Rebooted...nothing. Tried to log onto Yahoo, ESPN, CA, etc, and just get getting the message. Shut down, rebooted again, nothing.

Finally solved it with a system restore
I had the same thing happen to mine. I hate these v's
[Reply]
SeanGAR 04:19 AM 04-15-2009
Ran a scan on a student's computer yesterday. She had around a dozen viri/trojans and around 60 spyware program instances (bunch of different ones) including this fake antivirus thing. Had to do some manual registry edits as well as dos boot antivirus scans and spybot. Quite a royal mess. Now I need to convince her to install Linux.
[Reply]
RGD. 06:30 AM 04-15-2009
It's not the Conficker virus. It's either Antivirus 2009 or some variation of it. Restore very rarely works on these things.

Go here - and get the latest greatest and run the free version it.

Malwarebytes

A month or so ago I had it real bad and took two weeks working with the guy that developed that and with the Eset team. In the past I have just done a format - don't have the time now so I was determined to clean it. There is a previous post I made on it somewhere.

Here is one of my logs from when I had it - it will give you some of the file names to look for and delete:

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 10
Registry Values Infected: 4
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 12

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\sekuseva.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{ecb252fd-1b0f-4695-abbd-8a4930662488} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ecb252fd-1b0f-4695-abbd-8a4930662488} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ec43e3fd-5c60-46a6-97d7-e0b85dbdd6c4} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Stats\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Ext\Stats\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\yayyappf (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\MSFox (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\instkey (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\dslcnnct (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Track System (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\cpm87154a51 (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler\{ec43e3fd-5c60-46a6-97d7-e0b85dbdd6c4} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\ssodl (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\javomanene (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\sekuseva.dll -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Data: system32\sekuseva.dll -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\sekuseva.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\wilelazi.dll (Trojan.BHO.H) -> Delete on reboot.
c:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\sekuseva.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\awtsqoNg.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\jkkLedcD.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\opnKbcBS.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\opnnoopN.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pmnlJcAr.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\xxyxXPfe.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\yayyApPF.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\~.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lamahazi.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Also on edit: When a window pops up - don't click to stop it. Go to your processes and stop the iexplore32 process.

Ron
[Reply]
rack04 06:36 AM 04-15-2009
A couple years ago I came to the realization that Antivirus software is not something that I needed. As long as you don't open email attachments from people you don't know and don't download programs from unknown sources I think you should be OK. I've been clean and sober for 2 years. :-)
[Reply]
poker 06:42 AM 04-15-2009
Malwarebytes and AVG AV is what I use.
[Reply]
adampc22 06:45 AM 04-15-2009
i use f-secure its very good it scans file on your pc on its own just i case u forget to scan it
[Reply]
dunng 07:34 AM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
:-) Same here and for most of my home users... :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:57 AM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by butterB:
buy a Mac... all your virus problems will be gone
Next computer. :-)

Originally Posted by RGD.:
It's not the Conficker virus. It's either Antivirus 2009 or some variation of it. Restore very rarely works on these things.

Go here - and get the latest greatest and run the free version it.

Malwarebytes

Ron
Thanks Ron. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:00 AM 04-15-2009
Ron, I looked at the website but was not sure which download was the right one, can you guide me?
[Reply]
AD720 08:03 AM 04-15-2009
Ron, I looked at the website but was not sure which download was the right one, can you guide me?
Tom it looks like Ron went offline - I believe this is the free trial of the latest version:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button
[Reply]
icehog3 08:15 AM 04-15-2009
Thanks Andrew....I think I tried the wrong version first, it performed a full scan but wanted $29.95 to clean it up.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:20 AM 04-15-2009
Use the Cnet download. I just started using it in Jan. on the advice of Eset - and although it does have a pay section for the active scan - mine was free. Of course they might have changed.

I can say this though - so far it's done an excellent job at finding crap that no others could - and I may just pay for the full version in the near future.

And if those don't work - I have some others with detailed instructions that I got from Eset. They were working hard to keep me happy - :-)

Ron
[Reply]
Junior 11:01 AM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
Malwarebytes is awesome. It was recommended by our IT guys when my mom's system slowed to a crawl. It found 75 problems. Once I ran it and followed the instructions it started running just fine. I use the free version, and just scan it once a week.

I wish I could use AVG, but the company requires that I run McAfee and I hate it.
[Reply]
Junior 11:02 AM 04-15-2009
Thanks Andrew....I think I tried the wrong version first, it performed a full scan but wanted $29.95 to clean it up.
If you can't find the free version let me know, and I can email it to you.
[Reply]
19thHole 11:56 AM 04-15-2009
I second the malwarebytes installation. It will more than likely fix your problems. I've done this three times on two computers and it worked each time.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up