Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Computer Virus
icehog3 09:30 PM 04-14-2009
Had a strange bug on my computer when I tried to log onto the internet tonight.

Every site I tried to reach, I got a message, with an Internet Explorer logo at the top, from a Spyware company saying the site I was trying to reach was unsafe, and that I could buy their software for $49.99 to solve the problem.

When I found the icon for the Spyware company on my lower icons and right-clicked it, it began a "software" scan. Each time I hit it to stop, it would restart where it left off each time I tried to click on something else. Told me I had 74 "severe risk" viruses on my computer, and that their Spyware would fix it for $49.99.

Rebooted...nothing. Tried to log onto Yahoo, ESPN, CA, etc, and just get getting the message. Shut down, rebooted again, nothing.

Finally solved it with a system restore, restoring my computer to yesterday's settings.

Just a heads-up in case this is going around, got through all my virus protection and firewalls.
[Reply]
Whee 09:33 PM 04-14-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Every site I tried to reach, I got a message, with an Internet Explorer logo at the top, from a Spyware company saying the site I was trying to reach was unsafe, and that I could buy their software for $49.99 to solve the problem.

When I found the icon for the Spyware company on my lower icons and right-clicked it, it began a "software" scan. Each time I hit it to stop, it would restart where it left off each time I tried to click on something else. Told me I had 74 "severe risk" viruses on my computer, and that their Spyware would fix it for $49.99.

Rebooted...nothing. Tried to log onto Yahoo, ESPN, CA, etc, and just get getting the message. Shut down, rebooted again, nothing.

Finally solved it with a system restore, restoring my computer to yesterday's settings.

Just a heads-up in case this is going around, got through all my virus protection and firewalls.
Apparently affected your spell-check in your title too..:-)

My daughter had the same problem, but no clean restore point. Will have to reformat to completely remove it. Sounds like Conficker...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16210...ml?tk=rss_news

This virus has become active recently after freakin everyone out on 4/1.
[Reply]
darb85 09:34 PM 04-14-2009

Grandpa had the same thing. I ended up having to dig it out through a reg search. it sucked. freaking programs. I wonder how many people just buy the program
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:40 PM 04-14-2009
I am convinced that these viruses are made by Norton & Co. just to sell more of their product.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:49 PM 04-14-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
Apparently affected your spell-check in your title too..:-)

My daughter had the same problem, but no clean restore point. Will have to reformat to completely remove it. Sounds like Conficker...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16210...ml?tk=rss_news

This virus has become active recently after freakin everyone out on 4/1.
Based on the article, should I restore my computer to a much earlier date? Makes it sound like the bug might have been there for a coupel weeks and just gone off today...
[Reply]
Whee 09:54 PM 04-14-2009
Based on the article, should I restore my computer to a much earlier date? Makes it sound like the bug might have been there for a coupel weeks and just gone off today...
I'd run a scan. I used the McAfee and the F-protect mentioned in the article. If you can, you could turn off your restore temporarily, just to make sure you don;t recreate it and see what happens.

My daughters PC got sick a week before the first, so I think she just picked up a stubborn virus.

You are right, though, it may have lain dormant until recently.

Where are the real nerds at when you need them? Is there a Star Trek marathon on SciFi tonight...:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:00 PM 04-14-2009
I'd run a scan. I used the McAfee and the F-protect mentioned in the article. If you can, you could turn off your restore temporarily, just to make sure you don;t recreate it and see what happens.

My daughters PC got sick a week before the first, so I think she just picked up a stubborn virus.

You are right, though, it may have lain dormant until recently.

Where are the real nerds at when you need them? Is there a Star Trek marathon on SciFi tonight...:-)
I am so computer un-savvy. :-)
[Reply]
Whee 10:05 PM 04-14-2009
I am so computer un-savvy. :-)
Stop clicking on the "free cigar ****" links and you'll be ok.:-)

My daughter picked it up through a games site. Had to be embedded in one of her games she downloaded.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:10 PM 04-14-2009
Stop clicking on the "free cigar ****" links and you'll be ok.:-)

My daughter picked it up through a games site. Had to be embedded in one of her games she downloaded.
Only thing I downloaded lately was a free Amazon MP3 of Ted Nugent....the Nuge wouldn't knife me in the back, would he? :-)
[Reply]
Whee 10:12 PM 04-14-2009
Only thing I downloaded lately was a free Amazon MP3 of Ted Nugent....the Nuge wouldn't knife me in the back, would he? :-)
Actually, I picked up a little booger through a downloaded song from Limewire, so it's possible.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:14 PM 04-14-2009
Actually, I picked up a little booger through a downloaded song from Limewire, so it's possible.
It's a Free For All, Baby! :-)
[Reply]
Whee 10:15 PM 04-14-2009
It's a Free For All, Baby! :-)
Watch out for Cat Scratch Fever...:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:16 PM 04-14-2009
Watch out for Cat Scratch Fever...:-)
Or that Wang Dang Sweet.....oops, this is a family forum. :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:18 PM 04-14-2009
:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 10:20 PM 04-14-2009
Or that Wang Dang Sweet.....oops, this is a family forum. :-)
As long as it's not "2 girls 1 cup"
[Reply]
Whee 10:20 PM 04-14-2009
Live from the Friggemall Building, It's the Tom and Sean Show!!

We should take this on the road.:-)

I was going to say I'd get you in a "Stranglehold", but then thought better of it..:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:21 PM 04-14-2009
Live from the Friggemall Building, It's the Tom and Sean Show!!

I was going to say I'd get you in a "Stranglehold", but then thought better of it..:-)
If you did, I would go into "Hibernation"! :-)
[Reply]
Whee 10:26 PM 04-14-2009
Well you're a "Fist Fightin' Son of a Gun" aren't you? All I got left is Little Miss Dangerous.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:28 PM 04-14-2009

I'd buy tickets....... and then scalp them :-)
[Reply]
Whee 10:29 PM 04-14-2009
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
I'd buy tickets....... and then scalp them :-)
The tickets...or me and Tom?:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up