All Cigar Discussion>Opus Disappointment
jechelman 11:46 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
"Opus Disappointment"

Give me a Don Carlos any day!
:-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 12:02 PM 04-08-2009
I let my Opus X's rest for a long long time. I try not to smoke one before it's had 5 or 6 years of napping. Try to lay some down for a long time, you will be very glad you did. Don't let your disappointment deter you. It's a good smoke.
[Reply]
ChasDen 12:04 PM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by tunes:
WOW, I never had a DCM - and for some reason never gave them a thought. Being a fan of the opus I suppose I should give one a try. Any recommendations?
I smoke the 5 inchers the most.

The large ones require a lot of time.

They burn on the slow side so they last a while.

Chas

PS I have never had a bad one :-)
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 02:51 PM 04-08-2009
The only bad Opus I've ever had were fresh, meaning under 2-3 years of age on them. Sounds silly that you should have to age a cigar that long for it to be enjoyable but its no different than aging wines, some are just meant to be enjoyed with age.
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 04:10 PM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
Sorry to hear this Curt. Man, you should have been there Sunday cuz Cigar Man Andy handed me an AWESOME Perfecxion No. 2!
Thanks rub it in won't you :-) J/K Still waiting to here about anaheim. Are you planning on being there?

Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
I let my Opus X's rest for a long long time. I try not to smoke one before it's had 5 or 6 years of napping. Try to lay some down for a long time, you will be very glad you did. Don't let your disappointment deter you. It's a good smoke.
Hey thanks. I think this is the plan for the rest of my stock. I will try one in two years then 3,4,5+. Will see how that works :-)

Originally Posted by AriesOpusX:
The only bad Opus I've ever had were fresh, meaning under 2-3 years of age on them.
I'm just curious, what was bad about it? Could you desribe it?
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 05:02 PM 04-08-2009
Not sure what the Petit Perfection size is?

Check www.vitolas.net to see which size it really is.

I've had a few bad ones, but most have been pretty darn good.
[Reply]
ReggieFSULaw 07:10 PM 04-08-2009
Not all Opus' are created equal. I've had a couple of bad ones. Some where too tight, others were not taken care of properly by the shop, but the Opus X has a unique flavor that keeps me coming back. A little too expensive to have on a regular basis though.
[Reply]
neoflex 08:48 PM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
I am a fan of the OpusX... they are best to me when they have a little more age on them - maybe 2 years or so. Hope you will try another one later on... as was said above - when you have a good one, you have a VERY good cigar. :-)
Couldn't agree more. I do not enjoy Opus with less than 2 years on them. Had one that I had in my possession for 3 years and it was honestly the best damn cigar I have ever smoked. It's too bad that they ake so long to come around.
[Reply]
Thrak 06:01 AM 04-09-2009
I hear alot about these, but have never had one... I've looked before but have never even seen 1 in person!!

Are they really so rare that they sell out immediately? Or, is it that my B&M's just dont stock "super premium" stuff?
[Reply]
neoflex 06:14 AM 04-09-2009
Depending where you live it could be either one of the two really. If shops are selling them close to msrp they usually disappear pretty quick. When I was still living in NY I knew of a couple shops that always had Opus in stock but they over priced the cr@p out of them so that is probably the main reason they did not fly off the shelves and sat around for awhile. Opus have a mystique around them and IMHO fresh they do not even come close to living up to the hype.
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 03:54 PM 04-09-2009
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg:

I'm just curious, what was bad about it? Could you desribe it?
Grassy taste, too much of a nicotine bite, bad burn, tight draw, it was a few things that ruined those cigars but if you've ever smoked a fresh rolled cigar its that ammonia flavor that turned me off of a couple I smoked without age on them.
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 04:16 PM 04-09-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Not sure what the Petit Perfection size is?

Check www.vitolas.net to see which size it really is.

I've had a few bad ones, but most have been pretty darn good.
I believe it is the Perfecxion No.5 (4 7/8" x 40)

Originally Posted by AriesOpusX:
Grassy taste, too much of a nicotine bite, bad burn, tight draw, it was a few things that ruined those cigars but if you've ever smoked a fresh rolled cigar its that ammonia flavor that turned me off of a couple I smoked without age on them.
Yes.. that covers it thank you. :-)
[Reply]
roughrider 06:15 PM 04-09-2009
I smoked an Opus X Perfecxion No.4 and it wasn't anything special. It was kind of bitter but it did have a kick to it. I smoked an Oliva V Torp the next day and let me say, it handed the Opus it's ass.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 08:20 PM 04-09-2009
From what I understand OpusX are rolled with aged tobacco and then aged 3 years before being boxed..

So not only are the cigars aged but the tobacco is also aged... They typically are not wet as they are not fresh rolled...

I say this because there is a stigma around these smokes... I know most will claim to have the ability but would bet most can't ID an 07 from an 09...
[Reply]
SmokinApe 08:22 PM 04-09-2009
Oh, from a DR puro standpoint, Litto has the Fuente boys beat IMO...
[Reply]
jamesb3 08:33 PM 04-09-2009
Have smoked dozens of Opus over the last 3 years and my experience has been very good. But then again most that I have smoked have had 2 yrs or more of age on them. Don't give up on them as even the best smokes can produce the odd lemon.
[Reply]
sjnovakovich 11:08 AM 04-10-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
YEP and YEP !

AF cigars as a whole are tight little buggers sometimes, especially the smaller RG cigars.

The hype has people believing these are the holy grail, when they are indeed a good cigar, but not "The One". :-)

I do smoke them, like them but if given the choice between an Opus and a Diamond Crown Maximus, the DCM wins every time :-)

Chas

I believe that DCM is made by AF.
[Reply]
floydpink 11:15 AM 04-10-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I prefered the Diamond Crown Maximus over the OpusX.
Me too, any day. I stopped buying Opus a year ago and don't even return calls from my friend at the local B&M who is nice enough to call when Opus comes in. One full drawer is enough for me.

I should put up a WTT fro some DCM's
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 10:03 AM 04-11-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
From what I understand OpusX are rolled with aged tobacco and then aged 3 years before being boxed..

So not only are the cigars aged but the tobacco is also aged... They typically are not wet as they are not fresh rolled...

I say this because there is a stigma around these smokes... I know most will claim to have the ability but would bet most can't ID an 07 from an 09...
The Fuente Aged Selection that come with the band stating the year they were rolled are aged longer. Regular production opus x are rolled with aged tobacco but the binder/filler/wrapper are from different crops so theres no way to tell exactly how long one particular cigar has been aged. I read once on their website that they aged the cigars for 1 year before they were boxed, but no less than 4 months.
[Reply]
e-man67 10:44 AM 04-11-2009
Don't give up! I have had plenty of not so good Opus...but I had one last nite (lancero) with a year on it and it was a beaut! :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up