Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Opus Disappointment
Boss Hogg 10:13 PM 04-07-2009
Okay, so I have been buying some Opus' here and there from time to time, and decided maybe I should fire up my first Opus ever. I reached in the humi with my grimy little hands and pulled out a Petit Perfection. This little guy has been nestled up in there since last July (not a long time time but what the hell) :-)

I go to clip the head and try a pre lite... not bad can sense some spiciness to it. I go to brake out the trusty matches and toast this bad boy when all of a sudden...... nothing :-)

This thing would not lite. The outer wrapper would not catch. Nothing would work. I start thinking well crap maybe its too wet. But this is the same humi that every other cigar is in and they all have smoked wonderfully this weekend. Needless to say I finally break out a lighter and puff the hell out of it while lighting it. Yuck... butane odorless taste (I know an oxymoron).

Anyway, it starts going and it didn't taste very good at all. Finally the middle would burn but that was about it... and only for a few short seconds. Can the Opus really be that wet in the cello's. I know my humi is consistent at 65rh. Anyone else know Opus cigars to be really well. Is this the case with them or maybe just a fluke problem. As I have said early this was my first Opus ever, so I'm definitely not the expert on them. Most likely human error on my part :-)
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 10:17 PM 04-07-2009
I've had some that were pretty tight but none that wouldn't light. Don't give up:-)

As for the flavor, sometimes it's hard for a cigar's flavor to compete with all the hype:-) I was fortunate enough to have a FIL give me plenty of Opus before I even knew what they were. Therefore I wasn't consumed with all the opus hype. However, I have a about 10 CCs in my humi that I, and many others, have hyped up. Hopefully I'm not let down.
[Reply]
Silound 10:19 PM 04-07-2009
For a "super premium" cigar, I've had more bad Opus than I can count, and I know it's far more than I've had from all my other NC smokes combined. :-)

I won't knock them hard though, because when you have a good one, you have a good one.

However, if you had a bad one, don't get too discouraged and give up on Opus. I still smoke one here and there even though I have routine problems with them :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 10:24 PM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor:
I've had some that were pretty tight but none that wouldn't light. Don't give up:-)

As for the flavor, sometimes it's hard for a cigar's flavor to compete with all the hype:-) I was fortunate enough to have a FIL give me plenty of Opus before I even knew what they were. Therefore I wasn't consumed with all the opus hype. However, I have a about 10 CCs in my humi that I, and many others, have hyped up. Hopefully I'm not let down.
YEP and YEP !

AF cigars as a whole are tight little buggers sometimes, especially the smaller RG cigars.

The hype has people believing these are the holy grail, when they are indeed a good cigar, but not "The One". :-)

I do smoke them, like them but if given the choice between an Opus and a Diamond Crown Maximus, the DCM wins every time :-)

Chas
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:32 PM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
YEP and YEP !

AF cigars as a whole are tight little buggers sometimes, especially the smaller RG cigars.

The hype has people believing these are the holy grail, when they are indeed a good cigar, but not "The One". :-)

I do smoke them, like them but if given the choice between an Opus and a Diamond Crown Maximus, the DCM wins every time :-)

Chas
I prefered the Diamond Crown Maximus over the OpusX.
[Reply]
ChasDen 10:35 PM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Another satisfied BOTL :-)

They get even better with rest.

I have had a few that were about 2 years old and they were flat out awesome :-)

Chas
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 10:36 PM 04-07-2009
I am a fan of the OpusX... they are best to me when they have a little more age on them - maybe 2 years or so. Hope you will try another one later on... as was said above - when you have a good one, you have a VERY good cigar. :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:39 PM 04-07-2009
Another satisfied BOTL :-)

They get even better with rest.

I have had a few that were about 2 years old and they were flat out awesome :-)

Chas
I will have to save up my pennies for some more.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 10:51 PM 04-07-2009
I'm sorry to hear about your Opus experience. I've had only one that gave me problems. Give them some more time and another shot.
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 11:38 PM 04-07-2009
Thank you all for your input. I will definitely not give up on them. My stock will not let me. I will try back later when they have some more age on them. I guess next time I'll check if they are too wet to smoke and lay them out for a day if they are :-)
[Reply]
BillyCigars 11:47 PM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor:
As for the flavor, sometimes it's hard for a cigar's flavor to compete with all the hype:-)
:-) That's actually a great point. Believe it or not, I'm not much a fan of the Opus. Even still, I tend to pick them up whenever I run across them. I've actually got 2 Perfecxion Xs from 1999 sitting quietly all these 10 years later in my humi. And odd as it sounds, I remember a *distinctly* different Opus back then when they were first becoming popular than the ones made now. I'm sure it's the same cigar but...
[Reply]
tunes 05:34 AM 04-08-2009

Chas
WOW, I never had a DCM - and for some reason never gave them a thought. Being a fan of the opus I suppose I should give one a try. Any recommendations?
[Reply]
zmancbr 08:55 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Now see I have to disagree with you and Chuck. I prefer the Opus over DCM.... dunno why but the DCM doesn't do anything for me... However, I don't smoke too many fresh opus. And a fresh opus is anything under 3 years to me. Around the 3 year mark, they get very nice and become very complex in flavor IMO. :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 09:07 AM 04-08-2009
This just scares me to try an Opus. Never had one but have 2 sitting in my humi that I was gifted. I'm definitely going to let them age at least a year before I try one..
[Reply]
3inst3in 09:09 AM 04-08-2009
About 2 years ago alot of the Opus was a little lighter than their known for...IMO those we the best Opus I've had. I think Opus X are way to inconsistent for the hype.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 10:50 AM 04-08-2009
Sorry to hear this Curt. Man, you should have been there Sunday cuz Cigar Man Andy handed me an AWESOME Perfecxion No. 2!
[Reply]
Footbag 10:53 AM 04-08-2009
The last two Opus X's I smoked went out prematurely and didn't seem to be producing enough smoke. It's becoming a more common occurrence.
[Reply]
karmaz00 11:07 AM 04-08-2009
thanks for all the info guys
[Reply]
bookman 11:14 AM 04-08-2009
About a week ago I had an OX robusto size. The wrapper was very light. It smoked perfectly right from the B&M and the flavors were complex and kept changing..I nubbed it. It finished with an intense spice/flower kind of flavor that was very unique. That was the first one I had in maybe 6 years and it was leagues better than the previous ones. So don't give up!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:17 AM 04-08-2009
"Opus Disappointment"

Nothing new there... I think they are a total BS cigar. Have had my share from the A sized to really small ones and have never been impressed. They are too overfilled, but not tight and they I think they are too oily for their own good.

Give me a Don Carlos any day!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up