Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Sports>Favre to Stay Retired
hotreds 06:02 PM 07-28-2009
At least for the next five minutes or so.....
[Reply]
bowhnter 06:05 PM 07-28-2009
I hated the Packers (Bear fan here) but I would not have liked to see Favre go out with a potential terrible year that so many do when trying to come back after it's time to hang 'em up.
[Reply]
larryinlc 06:12 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by macpappy:
Some team should give Favre a call and say, "Hey Brett! We could use a quarterback coach."

All you Favre haters can say what you want, but I think he has the potential to be a good coach.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he has a standing open multi-million contract to be part of the Packer organization.

Larry
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:38 PM 07-28-2009
That is this weeks decision...change #3000 will come next week.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:40 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Good, hopefully the next time I have to hear his name won't be until his induction to the HOF. :-)
:-) I am tired of the drama queen.
[Reply]
BlackDog 06:40 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by larryinlc:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he has a standing open multi-million contract to be part of the Packer organization.
Yup, $20 million to be their "Director of Social Outreach" or some such public relations job. I'd be all over that like white on rice.
[Reply]
MNSmoker 06:57 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I think a lot of that is the coaching staff. How can he learn to deal with those pressure situations if they keep swapping QBs?
Admittedly, Favre was a great player, but the last few seasons he's thrown more picks than TDs. And with the bum shoulder, I doubt he would have been good for an entire season. Then the Vikes would have been forced to go with Jackson or Rosenfels anyway.
I agree that some of the blame has to go to the coaching staff, but the majority of it has to go to Jackson. He'll look fantastic at times when things are going great for the team and the game's not close, but if you need him to score a TD for you and it's late in the game, the guy's got no chance. There have been multiple times in the last couple of years where he's had opportunities to win the game for the Vikes and he totally folded.

I still had a lot of faith in Favre if he decided to join our squad for this season. He had shoulder problems at the end of last year, but he's had surgery in the off-season to correct those problems. His numbers at the beginning of last year pre-injury were pretty damn good. I think he still has the talent to play for another year if he wanted to. Unfortunately we're not going to find out.

The Vikes still have a solid squad this year and should win the North, but without a bonafide QB I don't believe we have a shot at competing for a super bowl. We needed Favre to put us over the hump.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:03 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
:-) I am tired of the drama KING
He earned the right to make decisions as he sees fit. It is tough to hang up the cleats, particularly when a guy knows he can physically compete. He is a better QB than no less than 5 starters in the league right now. It is no doubt annoying, but the media made it much worse than it actually was. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 07:45 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by MNSmoker:
I agree that some of the blame has to go to the coaching staff, but the majority of it has to go to Jackson. He'll look fantastic at times when things are going great for the team and the game's not close, but if you need him to score a TD for you and it's late in the game, the guy's got no chance. There have been multiple times in the last couple of years where he's had opportunities to win the game for the Vikes and he totally folded.
I see that as a lack of experience. They need a young QB that they can develop into a team leader. I think Jackson has that potential, but it's never going to happen as long as the coaching staff keeps playing musical QBs. I think the constant changes also contributed to Peterson's fumblitis. He gets the timing with one guy, and then someone else is under center the next week.
Originally Posted by :
The Vikes still have a solid squad this year and should win the North, but without a bonafide QB I don't believe we have a shot at competing for a super bowl. We needed Favre to put us over the hump.
I don't see any point in bringing on a high-dollar player like Favre if he's not gonna be there for several years. The money could be better spent adding some depth to the roster.
In the Culpepper/Moss days, Minnesota was all aerial with no ground game. Now it's the opposite. They can't take full advantage of Peterson without a solid passing game to keep defenses guessing.
[Reply]
ucla695 07:47 PM 07-28-2009
I believe it when I don't see him suited up in several seasons.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:25 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by MNSmoker:
This is a sad day. I'm a huge Favre pimp and I was hoping he would sign with the Vikes for multiple reasons. Now we have to rely on either a career back-up in Rosenfels, or a mediocre QB at best in T-Jack who folds under pressure. I'm still holding out hope that Favre flip-flops one more time and decides to join the team after training camp. You never know what this guy's going to do next.
Sign Vick. :-)
[Reply]
MNSmoker 09:14 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I don't see any point in bringing on a high-dollar player like Favre if he's not gonna be there for several years. The money could be better spent adding some depth to the roster.
In the Culpepper/Moss days, Minnesota was all aerial with no ground game. Now it's the opposite. They can't take full advantage of Peterson without a solid passing game to keep defenses guessing.
I think the reason why Childress wanted to bring Favre in this season was twofold; first, Childress knows that if he doesn't make a deep playoff run this year his job is probably in jeopardy. He's under contract for one more season after this upcoming season, and if this club doesn't perform well he's not going to get an extension. Zigy Wilf has given everything that Childress has asked for (pass rushing DE...Jared Allen. WR to stretch the field...Bernard Berrien, etc.). He's given Childress the go-ahead to sign players and has invested a lot into this club. I think Wilf wants to see a return on his investment.

Second, this club is set up to win now. This core group of players that we have right now are geared to win in the next couple of seasons. A veteran like Favre in Childress' west-coast offense would have probably given this club the best chance to win this year. That's not to say that Rosenfels or T-Jack can't get it done, but this is the same offense that Favre has run his entire career.

This day in age in the NFL, teams don't look long future. Because of free agency teams can go from worst to first in their division in a single season. NFL fans, and sports fans in general, have a win now attitude and demand that their teams put out a winning club every year. I'm hoping that the Vikes will still be solid with whoever they decide to put behind center this season.
[Reply]
MNSmoker 09:16 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Sign Vick. :-)
Let's not even joke about that one. :-) I disliked Vick even when he was the top paid player in the NFL. A QB who can't pass; no thank you. At least now he's got half a chance to be a decent player with the advent of the wildcat offense.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:30 PM 07-28-2009
You make some good points, Chris. BTW, Berrian is another one of my Madden favorites. :-)
[Reply]
King James 10:34 PM 07-28-2009
Bummed he won't be playing anymore....but think it is time to retire
[Reply]
icehog3 10:36 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
Bummed he won't be playing anymore....but think it is time to retire
Him, or you?

:-) :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:27 AM 07-29-2009
[Reply]
skibumdc 08:43 AM 07-29-2009
I'll believe it in 5 years when he is still retired....otherwise I don't trust him.
[Reply]
macpappy 08:46 AM 07-29-2009
Originally Posted by larryinlc:

Larry
Yes. But it's not as a coach.
I think Favre has a lot to offer as a Coach.
[Reply]
King James 09:08 AM 07-29-2009
I think with time the riff between Favre and the Packers (or Ted Thompson more specifically) will heal. I know he was talking about helping out with the HS team back home coaching, but don't know that he would return to the NFL to coach
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up