Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Need help with surrond sound. Speaker/Tech gurus in here please.
Dave128 02:46 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
If you like it that's all that matters. Doesn't change technological fact though:-)
see above post
[Reply]
Resipsa 04:03 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Dave128:
see above post
YOU think it works for
Your needs and it sounds, all that matters. On a different, technological level, wireless speakers still suck. I would refer you to a site like AVS to learn more, but they aren't very nice there and raving about Fischer and Bose speakers will get you reduced to a smoldering pile of
Ash in short order sans flame retardant suit:-)

But again, it's your system and sounding good to you is what matters
[Reply]
hammondc 04:33 PM 11-12-2010
YOU think it works for
....On a different, technological level, wireless speakers still suck. I would refer you to a site like AVS to learn more, but they aren't very nice there and raving about Fischer and Bose speakers will get you reduced to a smoldering pile of
Ash in short order sans flame retardant suit:-)

But again, it's your system and sounding good to you is what matters
Very true on all counts.....
[Reply]
Dave128 08:46 PM 11-13-2010
Yes, both systems sound good to me.

My parents Fisher system is at least 20 years old and still sounds damn good. It has all seperate components that I'd put up against just about anything else I've heard. I used to sell systems 10 years ago while in college. I used to know a thing or two about music systems. I used their system as a comparison. Bad choice on my part I guess.

You guys seem to be the all encompassing experts on this particular subject. Have either of you ever heard what the Bose wireless system sounds like? What systems do you guys have (be honest)? Educate me, please.
[Reply]
Volt 03:46 AM 11-14-2010

My parents Fisher system is at least 20 years old and still sounds damn good. It has all seperate components that I'd put up against just about anything else I've heard. I used to sell systems 10 years ago while in college. I used to know a thing or two about music systems. I used their system as a comparison. Bad choice on my part I guess.

You guys seem to be the all encompassing experts on this particular subject. Have either of you ever heard what the Bose wireless system sounds like? What systems do you guys have (be honest)? Educate me, please.

I am and never was a "name" type person. $15 jeans, a tshirt and Walmart shoes usually work fine. My Dad passed on to me a set of Bose Acoutimass 5 suround system. I was wowed, maybe there is someting to owning a premioum name. Later on I purchased a set of Acoutimas 6 for the TV room. I don't much about a wireless system, but I will say the Bose systems are fantastic. I did not care for teh Wave I herad in a friend's kitchen, but the full on systems get my vote. I also love the small sise of the cubes. The AM5's are at least 25 - 30 years old and sould like new to me. This is one time I can say, maybe the name on the side matters.
[Reply]
jkim05 07:28 AM 11-14-2010
Bose speakers are ok, but they're designed to sound good despite their small size. When it comes to sound, at a certain point the size of the box matters because the frequencies need to resonate. While Bose stuff does sound decent, when you compare the price with what you get there are better options out there. Those avsforum guys are as ahead we are with cigars, and I'd say Bose is like their macanudo. It's nice until you hear better.

If you don't care too much about sound I'm sure there are setups out there for what your looking for, but your speaker placement does not sound ideal. In 5.1 surround, the two "surround" speakers should be next to the listening area not behind. Also the two front channels are in stereo, but the majority of talking and stuff on TV comes from the center channel, which is terribly undersized in most HTIB sets.

I have Definitive technology speakers, the two front ones have built in active powered 12" subs and my front center channel is one of their smaller front speakers so I could get more sound. I have this running on a pioneer elite receiver.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 07:47 AM 11-14-2010
The receiver that you buy will be the deciding factor as to how good your Surround Sound will be. I have installed 100's of SS systems over the years and from what i see, Pioneer make some of the best bang for your buck speakers out there.

as for the speakers. are you looking for cube style speakers, in-wall, in-ceiling, bookshelf, etc. there are a million ways you can go.

I myself have 6" kevlar coned angled in-ceiling speakers for both my front and rear speakers. i then have a mns tru-center speaker that sits on top of my TV cabinet. then a 150 watt 12" sub for my lows.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:08 AM 11-14-2010

Since you asked..
Bose is like Gurkha. They make an OK product at a grossly inflated price. Nothing about either product is particularly terrible, but they both should cost about 1/4 of what they do (if that much). The noise canceling headphones are actually quite good, but that is where it ends for me.

Bose used to be a leading edge speaker manufacturer. I mean like 35 or 40 years ago before modern surround. They were one of the first to created a surround sound with just 2 front speakers with with the Bose 901. They had a rear firing speaker in them that bounced the sound off the ceiling and wall behind them. This created just enough delay to trick your ears. Then came the little cube speakers and bass module. That was probably 20 years ago. That was the last innovation they had.

Bose and Gurkha both have geniuses in their marketing departments. The target market for Bose seems to be fairly affluent people who do not know a lot about home theater or 2 channel audio who want a decent product with an impressive brand name. Somehow...Bose manages to convince people they need to spend $3k on a pretty damn good music distribution system with a bunch of crappy speakers.

The problem with all of the above is that there are other speakers in the same niche market that will blow the plastic enclosures off those supercubes....like Anthony Gallo, Totem Acoustics or Mirage....and they will do it at a lower price.

HT is my addiction. I have spent a lot of my hard earned cash to get to the point I am at now. When I started putting it together years ago I spent a lot of time researching on forums, reading in publications and listening to a LOT of speakers. It took me 6 years to get to where I have it now and I am starting to get 'upgrade-itus'. If anyone wants to know how HT can sound, stop by and I will put some stuff on that will shred your face. The subwoofer alone will knock **** off the walls and has pretty flat in-room response down to about 18hz.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:11 AM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
.... from what i see, Pioneer make some of the best bang for your buck speakers out there.
Do you mean receivers? If so, I agree 100%. I had a Pioneer and sold it to get the Onkyo I have now and regret the hell out of it. I am considering unloading the Onkyo to go back to a Pioneer.
[Reply]
Resipsa 10:56 AM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by hammondc:
HT is my addiction. I have spent a lot of my hard earned cash to get to the point I am at now. When I started putting it together years ago I spent a lot of time researching on forums, reading in publications and listening to a LOT of speakers. It took me 6 years to get to where I have it now and I am starting to get 'upgrade-itus'. If anyone wants to know how HT can sound, stop by and I will put some stuff on that will shred your face. The subwoofer alone will knock **** off the walls and has pretty flat in-room response down to about 18hz.
You sound like me, :-)

My system has been years in the making, always tweaking:-)

Right now I'm running a 7.2 system with dual subs, my room response like yours is fairly flat down into the mid teens.

the names of the speakers aren't important. Small, ID companies who nobody has ever heard of that buys in a big box store. Fronts, center, sides and rear are an axiom setup, subs are dual outlaw LFM-1 EX's running in max extension mode. I love having new people come over to the house and putting on something like The Matrix or WOW and watching them almost **** themselves when the subsonics hit them in the chest and the windows of the house start rattling in the frames, :-)
[Reply]
GTsetGO 11:17 AM 11-14-2010
Do you mean receivers? If so, I agree 100%. I had a Pioneer and sold it to get the Onkyo I have now and regret the hell out of it. I am considering unloading the Onkyo to go back to a Pioneer.
yeah. receivers. brain was working faster than i could type.
[Reply]
hammondc 12:51 PM 11-14-2010
You sound like me, :-)

My system has been years in the making, always tweaking:-)

Right now I'm running a 7.2 system with dual subs, my room response like yours is fairly flat down into the mid teens.

the names of the speakers aren't important. Small, ID companies who nobody has ever heard of that buys in a big box store. Fronts, center, sides and rear are an axiom setup, subs are dual outlaw LFM-1 EX's running in max extension mode. I love having new people come over to the house and putting on something like The Matrix or WOW and watching them almost **** themselves when the subsonics hit them in the chest and the windows of the house start rattling in the frames, :-)
Yep...I looked at and tried Axiom back when they did free shipping for returns. Like them a lot, but they seemed very bright to me (which is why I also do not like Klipsch). All my speakers are from the now defunct AV123 (Onix audio) including an MFW15 for a sub. That thing absolute destroys at about 50% gain. Good pick on Axiom...good stuff. I like the Aperion gear too.
[Reply]
Resipsa 02:30 PM 11-14-2010
Yep...I looked at and tried Axiom back when they did free shipping for returns. Like them a lot, but they seemed very bright to me (which is why I also do not like Klipsch). All my speakers are from the now defunct AV123 (Onix audio) including an MFW15 for a sub. That thing absolute destroys at about 50% gain. Good pick on Axiom...good stuff. I like the Aperion gear too.
the fact that both klipsch and axiom seem bright to many is probably at least partly attributable to the fact that both use metal cones.

I'm very interested in the Emotiva 8.3's, or maybe the 6.2's and may make a chnage in the near future. Given my room, I like the boundary and tweeter controls they provide.
[Reply]
Dave128 07:45 AM 11-15-2010
Schooled!! (but, I still like my Bose. It works for me.)
[Reply]
hammondc 07:53 AM 11-15-2010
the fact that both klipsch and axiom seem bright to many is probably at least partly attributable to the fact that both use metal cones.

I'm very interested in the Emotiva 8.3's, or maybe the 6.2's and may make a chnage in the near future. Given my room, I like the boundary and tweeter controls they provide.
And horns (at least in Klipsch). I really do not like horns. Emotiva stuff is supposed the be the bee's knees. I have not heard any of it yet.
[Reply]
HK3- 08:24 AM 11-15-2010
Schooled!! (but, I still like my Bose. It works for me.)
:-) I'm running the 10 speaker Bose Acoustimass surround off a Denon AVR-1909 and it feels more like a padron vs. a gurkha for me. Smoke what what you like, right? :-)
[Reply]
jkim05 09:44 AM 11-15-2010
And horns (at least in Klipsch). I really do not like horns. Emotiva stuff is supposed the be the bee's knees. I have not heard any of it yet.
Yeah the horn tweeters in Klipsch speakers can cause listening fatigue pretty quickly for me. I wouldn't have gone with the Deftechs myself, but I got them at cost, so it was too good of a deal to turn down. Plus, they're shop is not far from me so if I need repairs, I don't have to worry about shipping.
[Reply]
hammondc 09:50 AM 11-15-2010
Deftech makes nice stuff. Definitely a great choice.
[Reply]
Sled Dog 02:52 PM 11-15-2010
I miss building a nice surround system.... I like to watch and "feel" the movie, but the wife just likes hearing it..... Sadly I sold off the system b/c it was like owning a Corvette and only getting to drive it at 30 MPH. Now it's just a pair of Polk TSi 400's in the front and that's it
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:56 PM 11-15-2010
Deftech makes nice stuff. Definitely a great choice.
I have had a DefTech BP8 set up for 15 years and still sounds good. If wish to keep floor speakers, I would continue to rock them.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up