Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Need help with surrond sound. Speaker/Tech gurus in here please.
LockOut 08:37 PM 11-10-2010
So I have on idea what I'm looking at, let alone if this is possible (refraise how much insane money it may cost) I am moving into a new place and I have always wanted surround sound in my bedroom for music. I hate having just 2 little crappy desktop speakers. I want a speaker in each upper corner of the room. I would really prefer wireless speakers in the 4 corners of the room (sub can be wires I don't care). I don't know if they even make wireless speakers like that that run on say D batteries or something. And if they do does the sound quality suck since they are wireless?? I want the system to work with my desktop computer. and my big TV with both my 360 and ps3. Can anyone point me into the right direction. I don't wana go to the local stereo shop just to be tkaen by the sales rep.
[Reply]
GolfNut 08:41 PM 11-10-2010
Tons of options out there. Crutchfield.com, amazon, etc. Try reading through this article and following the links. Hopefully it will help you out a bit. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7612_7-5109926-4.html
[Reply]
GolfNut 08:43 PM 11-10-2010
I bought my daughter a wireless surround system a few years back that she loved. It was around $300 I think.
[Reply]
hammondc 06:13 AM 11-11-2010
Unfortunately, there are still no true 'wireless' speakers. They always have wires of some sort to plug them into the RF module or to power outlets. Even the stuff that is available is not very good (yet). You could get a small for factor speaker like Mirage, Anthony Gallo etc. These could go on very thin stands against the wall and would not be very noticeable. Since they are very small, you could use a small gauge speaker wire and run it along the baseboard.
[Reply]
Volt 06:29 AM 11-11-2010
I agree. The issue with any type of wireless is just not worth the hassle. Easiest way I found, put the system on an interior wall. Run the wires up to the attic and then down to the spots you need. Try to avoid using exterior walls as fishing through insulation is not really fun. It's a one time project, call a few buddies over for morale support and make it a good time.

Originally Posted by hammondc:
Unfortunately, there are still no true 'wireless' speakers. They always have wires of some sort to plug them into the RF module or to power outlets. Even the stuff that is available is not very good (yet). You could get a small for factor speaker like Mirage, Anthony Gallo etc. These could go on very thin stands against the wall and would not be very noticeable. Since they are very small, you could use a small gauge speaker wire and run it along the baseboard.

[Reply]
cricky101 07:51 AM 11-11-2010
I bought the Energy Take 5 system for my living room last winter and love it. GREAT sound for the money.

I wanted wireless, too, but after looking at the options decided to skip it because of what I read about quality, and the fact they'd have wires from somewhere, too, whether to an outlet or a module of some sort. I ended up running the wires behind my baseboards in my living room, although if you're going to put them in the corners of the room, the down-from-the-attic option might work better.

Lots of reviews on Amazon (but they're cheaper at Newegg).
[Reply]
DBall 08:07 AM 11-11-2010
Where and when are you moving?
[Reply]
AD720 08:14 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by hammondc:
:-)

Little bitty speakers that sound great and a thin speaker wire, hidden behind a piece of molding OR little bitty speakers that sound crappy and a thick power cable and RF module?

Easy choice there.
[Reply]
aich75013 08:59 AM 11-11-2010
What about a sound bar?
I haven't actually heard one myself, so I don't know how good they are. Just another option.
[Reply]
AD720 09:23 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by aich75013:
What about a sound bar?
I haven't actually heard one myself, so I don't know how good they are. Just another option.
We have a Yamaha sound bar in the bedroom that I got on sale. Actually sounds pretty good, I was impressed but it was pricey at full price. Still may be cheaper than buying a receiver and everything. It has a very believable simulated surround setting and sounds great in stereo for music.
[Reply]
Dave128 10:45 AM 11-12-2010
I have a wireless speaker system for my Bose that I put in my bedroom. It works off the main system located in the downstairs tv room.
[Reply]
Resipsa 11:19 AM 11-12-2010
Agree with those who say wireless speakers suck, they do. The technology simply isn't there yet, and probably won't be for
Some time
[Reply]
tchariya 11:23 AM 11-12-2010
*sorry this might be overkill response, I know OP was looking for surround sound speakers advice*

I've had to tackle the issue with combining my A/V equipment sound with my PC sound. It just seems like placement of your tv and a/v equipment as well as your computer desk is key to what might work for you.

Some suggestions (no company product listed)

1) your pc/laptop setup might need to be kept separate due to how everything is situated in the bedroom. Plus, you might be playing games on your pc/laptop while a movie or something is running on the TV. In this situation, finding a receiver that will output both audio sources at the same time is not likely.

2) there are a lot of low profile sound bars that emulate surround sound and work really well for a bedroom situation. Some of these sound bars are wireless in a sense, mainly wireless output to a beefy included sub. Most come with integrated receiver with a few audio source inputs.

3) the more sophisticated your needs/requirements, the more $$ you might be dumping into your setup, which means upgrade costs might climb. Maybe you need to have a internet connected tv..or maybe a pc media center..or maybe you prefer a Tivo component to your BluRay player..and a seperate Xbox/Wii/PS3. These all factor into what you want/need/require.

ask yourself...

- what do you need this component for
- can that component use be found in something integrated...ie PS3 seconds as a Bluray player or media center PC used as a DVR/Bluray player

I'm sure a lot more options becomes available as you layout your ideas/plans. Then you have the fun job of reading reviews of these devices....best sound for the $$, best 1080P lcd/plasma for ?? size...etc etc...do you really need 3D?
[Reply]
Dave128 11:36 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
Agree with those who say wireless speakers suck, they do. The technology simply isn't there yet, and probably won't be for
Some time
I have to say that my wireless speaker sounds awesome.
[Reply]
Dave128 11:41 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by tchariya:
1) your pc/laptop setup might need to be kept separate due to how everything is situated in the bedroom. Plus, you might be playing games on your pc/laptop while a movie or something is running on the TV. In this situation, finding a receiver that will output both audio sources at the same time is not likely.
My Bose wireless system handles this situation just fine. It is linked through the main system, but plays independantly. I can be watching tv/movie in one room and listening to music in the other.
[Reply]
Resipsa 01:04 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Dave128:
If you like it that's all that matters. Doesn't change technological fact though:-)
[Reply]
tchariya 01:18 PM 11-12-2010
My Bose wireless system handles this situation just fine. It is linked through the main system, but plays independantly. I can be watching tv/movie in one room and listening to music in the other.

A system that can pump out two sources to two different outputs independently is nice.

Bose is niiiice.
[Reply]
tchariya 01:20 PM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
If you like it that's all that matters. Doesn't change technological fact though:-)
And if it uses the 900mhz or 2.4Ghz spectrum, you will find that there could be a lot of interference from phones and network wireless routes and such, especially in/near a multi-tenant building.
[Reply]
hammondc 01:33 PM 11-12-2010
OK. Can you clarify what system you are talking about? OP was asking about a wireless surround system, not a wireless music distribution system. I searched the Bose site out of curiousity and found plenty of distro systems, but now wireless speakers. Maybe I am missing something.

THIS is the only thing I could find. Again, this is a stand alone system primarily for music and does not include a wireless surround solution. I suppose it would be an extension of something like THIS.
:-)
[Reply]
Dave128 02:45 PM 11-12-2010
I have a lifestyle 38 (similar to this http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...e_48/index.jsp) with the link system. They don't make a complete wireless surround system (yet) that I am aware of. You need to buy each wireless receiver and speaker seperately. Mine came free with my purchase (at the time it was ~$400 value).

One clarification is that I am NOT a techie. I bought the system because it sounded awesome in the demo room. I only have the link system added on because it came with the $3k purchase. IMO, the wireless speaker has perfect sound that I would put against any other speaker system on the market. My parents have a Fisher system with 3 foot tall speakers with 6 to 8 inch woofers, receiver, et al that this one tiny Bose remote speaker blows away, hands down.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up