Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>CC VS. NC Win?
HK3- 09:15 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by Bunker:
If you really wanted to compare, smoke them at the same time and alternate :-)
That would be like texting and driving. :-)
[Reply]
DennisP 09:20 AM 11-10-2010
At the S.H.I.T. herf last week I decided on a little blind taste test among everyone. I grabbed 3 cigars of similar size and we passed them around.

The cigars were a Trini Coloniale (CC), Punch RS12 (CC) and Little Havana Overrun PC (Pepin NC).

The first time around the reaction was very mixed, with about half think the NC was a CC and the RS12 was NC. Not sure if others opinions influenced others, or just getting passed the first few puffs changed the cigar, but by the end the NC and the RS12 were unanimous (with rennd saying he was buying a box of whatever the RS12 was) the Trini was a CC lean, but no one too enthusiastic about it.
[Reply]
rizzle 09:24 AM 11-10-2010
Why do we just have to bring cost into the equation? Had nothing to do with the OP's proposition. People get so freaking sensitive on this issue sometimes.
:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 09:39 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Why do we just have to bring cost into the equation? Had nothing to do with the OP's proposition. People get so freaking sensitive on this issue sometimes.
I get the OP's point.
As I said, no rules were stated so anything goes.

However, to answer your question, I think it matters, generally speaking.
As with anything, there will always be exceptions.
If I smoke a Padron 80th and compare it to a R&J Mille Fleur, any guess on what I will think is the hands down winner?
If I smoke a very pricey Montecristo Dunhill Selection from the early 70's and compare it to a Garcia Vega from my local gas station, any guess on what I will think is the hands down winner?

I think that is the point some are trying to make. Sort of like driving a BMW M3 and then comparing it to the ride of a Smart. The winner should be obvious, with occasional exceptions due to taste and personal preferences.:-)

Not my thread so onward with the experiment.
[Reply]
68TriShield 09:58 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
I smoked an '08 RASS and an LGC Series R Natural Robusto, and it was a tie.
This is a surprise given the wide differences in taste profile.
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
It's better not to compare...just enjoy what you smoke.
I can't argue with this statement though it's still a fun thread.
[Reply]
akumushi 10:06 AM 11-10-2010
Again, I wasn't trying to get too serious with the thing.
I just posted it to see peoples smoking habits, and find
out what cigars they pair together in an evening and how
they all stack up to each other. If it is normal for you
to smoke a Cohiba Behike and then light up a Grape
White Owl, or smoke a Guantanamera then chase it with
an Opus X, then awesome, I want to hear about it, just
tell me which was better:-)
Obviously, the more interesting contests will be those
where the playing field is level, but I'd prefer if people
didn't get too wrapped up into arguing whether the
comparison was fair or not. I don't set out to compare
two cigars, I just smoke them and one of them might
stand out as really awesome. Those two just happened
to be what I smoked last night. Both cigars were good
and each was the right cigar for the time and place. The
SW Reserva just happened to be a WOW kind of experience
and it got me thinking, that hey, this is rare for me, the
NC was the best of the night.
[Reply]
Powers 10:10 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by akumushi:
Again, I wasn't trying to get too serious with the thing.
I just posted it to see peoples smoking habits, and find
out what cigars they pair together in an evening and how
they all stack up to each other. If it is normal for you
to smoke a Cohiba Behike and then light up a Grape
White Owl, or smoke a Guantanamera then chase it with
an Opus X, then awesome, I want to hear about it, just
tell me which was better:-)
Obviously, the more interesting contests will be those
where the playing field is level, but I'd prefer if people
didn't get too wrapped up into arguing whether the
comparison was fair or not. I don't set out to compare
two cigars, I just smoke them and one of them might
stand out as really awesome. Those two just happened
to be what I smoked last night. Both cigars were good
and each was the right cigar for the time and place. The
SW Reserva just happened to be a WOW kind of experience
and it got me thinking, that hey, this is rare for me, the
NC was the best of the night.

i have been on a RyJ mille fluer kick myself lately. As others have said, if i plan on smoking two sticks in a sitting i normally always start w/a CC and then switch to a NC
[Reply]
CasaDooley 10:22 AM 11-10-2010
I think this looks like a fun thread, especially if we all take it for what it is, a comparison of cigars based on our own personal experience. Last night I smoked a vintage Cerdan and right after it fired up a 99 HDM du Depute. The Depute won. Even though I did like the flavors of the Cerdan, I liked the HDM more. And to show how varied everyones tastes are, I would pick the RyJ Mille Fleurs CC over the Padron 80th NC as I really enjoy RyJ's and am not a big fan of Padrons.
I think we should all keep this thread light hearted. YMMV :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:23 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
I think we should all keep this thread light hearted. YMMV :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:34 AM 11-10-2010
Tatuaje "The Face" and a Bolivar Corona Extra.

Bolivar for the easy win.
[Reply]
Blueface 10:38 AM 11-10-2010
H. Upmann Corona Major and Murcielago Robusto.

The aged H. Upmann won.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:43 AM 11-10-2010
H.Upmann Mag 50 & a Francisco Socrates Gordo.

Too be honest, they were both spectacular smokes. But, I'd have to go with the Francisco.
[Reply]
Noodles 01:00 PM 11-10-2010
07 PLPC and one of those La Flor Dominica Double Ligero (corona size I think). Very different. Both were good and I wouldn't mind smoking both.
[Reply]
yourchoice 01:12 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by bonggoy:
07 PLPC and one of those La Flor Dominica Double Ligero (corona size I think). Very different. Both were good and I wouldn't mind smoking both.
Wow, they are different! Hope you've been well, Ronnie! It's been a while.
[Reply]
srduggins 02:55 PM 11-10-2010
Last night I had a Liga Privada T52 and a Cohibo Esplendidio - at the same time. The T52 looked great, very oily wrapper, tons of smoke, near perfect burn and very little flavor. It was so dissapointing that 1/2 way into it I fired up the Cohibo - which I have enjoyed in the past, but it didn't do enough for me, so I went back to the T52. Both losers in my book, but I suppose the T52 won. Not really by the rules of the thread, but thought I would post it anyway.

Last month a Davidoff Diademas Finas better than the '01 CoLa.

Last year, I smoked a Tat Noella and MC #4 at the same time and while both were great and different, I liked the MC #4 better.
[Reply]
akumushi 09:02 PM 11-14-2010
Last night it was Romeo y Julieta Exhibition No. 4 vs. Opus X Reserva D' Chateau, with the R&J winning hands down. The Opus had a really distinctive mouth feel, kind of like eating raisins, but it still had that unpleasant metallic aftertaste that I get from NCs sometimes. Some leather and wood came and went, but overall it was pretty one dimensional. The retrohale was pure burning pepper and all I could manage was about 5% every few drags. At any price, I just can't get into the Opus series. The R&J had a nice crisp mouth feel with that citrusy R&J tannic bite, while the nose was pure sweet floral and woodsy aromas. Probably my favorite R&J yet, definitely a better robusto than the short churchill, IMO.
[Reply]
Chingas 09:59 PM 11-14-2010
Yesterday.

'02 La Gloria Cubana MdO #3 and then a Boris 11

The LGC won. Hands down. And I Love the Boris 11. Strange.

Luckily, I thoroughly enjoyed Both of them, which, at the end of the day, was the whole point!:-)
[Reply]
bopmachine 12:09 AM 11-15-2010
Saturday I smoked Sopranos Associate, then followed with a Cohiba Siglo IV. Two very different cigars, but on overall enjoyment I'd say it was tie. I like the full flavour of the Sopranos, very nice draw and tons of smoke. I got leather, hay and nutmeg out of it. The cohiba was also very nice with a classic cuban twang, also leather and small touches of cinnamon. Very mellow by the last 3rd which was perfect as it was the tail end of a pub visit anyway. As I said, very different smokes but equally enjoyable.
[Reply]
auburnfan1980 12:55 AM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by srduggins:
Last night I had a Liga Privada T52 and a Cohibo Esplendidio - at the same time. The T52 looked great, very oily wrapper, tons of smoke, near perfect burn and very little flavor. It was so dissapointing that 1/2 way into it I fired up the Cohibo - which I have enjoyed in the past, but it didn't do enough for me, so I went back to the T52. Both losers in my book, but I suppose the T52 won. Not really by the rules of the thread, but thought I would post it anyway.

Last month a Davidoff Diademas Finas better than the '01 CoLa.

Last year, I smoked a Tat Noella and MC #4 at the same time and while both were great and different, I liked the MC #4 better.
You smoked a T52 with very little flavor?! I LOVE those cigars and think they have quite the complex flavor....I'm thinking you got a hold of some counterfeit T52s. I must ask....was 'Liga Privada' written in cursive or plain text on the band? :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:57 AM 11-15-2010
The 2 Escencia robustos I smoked this weekend blew away everything else I smoked.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up