Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>I had to reformat!!!
VirtualSmitty 11:05 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper:
Drat.

Really what games are you having a hard time with?

Sorry I wasn't able to help.
Most of my PC gaming is RTS, FPS. Rome TW, Medieval TW, Company of Heroes, CoD4, Crysis, Empire at war, pretty much all of my PC games don't work with it lol.

There is a list of games that work on wine. It isn't very big :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 11:39 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by madurolover:
I have never run anything but Windows. I have also never had a virus or malware. Amazing what a little bit of vigilance can do for you. :-)
:-) cliches get old:-)
[Reply]
ucubed 12:44 AM 02-06-2009
It would not boot normally, it ended up being on the blue screen of death. I started in safe mode, I tried probably at least 10 different tactics to try and resolve the situation and it did not work. Then I was going to reinstall ALL windows drives ONLY, however that part had errors and it then proceeded to reformat my entire C:/. I have a lot of stuff on my external, however I may have lost all your addresses =P
[Reply]
rizzle 03:59 AM 02-06-2009
Sorry Kev. If something like that ever happens to me I'm just done. I have no idea how to go in and retrieve and piece back together stuff. I'm just gonna throw my machine in the Gulf if and when it happens.
:-)
[Reply]
RGD. 06:27 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by ucubed:
It would not boot normally, it ended up being on the blue screen of death. I started in safe mode, I tried probably at least 10 different tactics to try and resolve the situation and it did not work. Then I was going to reinstall ALL windows drives ONLY, however that part had errors and it then proceeded to reformat my entire C:/. I have a lot of stuff on my external, however I may have lost all your addresses =P

For the future:

Remove hard drive.
Install new hard drive, format and install OS.
Install old drive as a slave or external.
Copy old files over to new drive.

If the old drive has no physical errors - after you are sure nothing is left on it - then reformat it and save in case something happens in the future or use as a slave/USB for daily backups.

Ron
[Reply]
Ollie 06:57 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:
For the future:

Remove hard drive.

If the old drive has no physical errors - after you are sure nothing is left on it - then reformat it and save in case something happens in the future or use as a slave/USB for daily backups.

Ron

And get one of THESE.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 07:01 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:
For the future:

Remove hard drive.

Ron
Great advice. As long as the drive is readable, you should never reformat if you have important files on the drive, rescue them first.

Another option is to have a linux live cd around that you can boot to and use as a rescue disk. Boot to cd, copy important HD files to usb, verify them, and only then do the fdisk/format.

What I also do is to clone the hard drive after all of the software and updates are installed on a clean installation. That way you can quickly get the computer up and running with very little work. I clone to an HD in an external enclosure, so a simple swap will get the computer running again.

File backups are something else, I backup modified files daily and take a backup home weekly. Old school, I run xcopy as a scheduled task or manually for the external.

I also have a portable at home that has the same software installed so if my desktop burned I would be able to work.
[Reply]
rizzle 07:08 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
Great advice. As long as the drive is readable, you should never reformat if you have important files on the drive, rescue them first.

Another option is to have a linux live cd around that you can boot to and use as a rescue disk. Boot to cd, copy important HD files to usb, verify them, and only then do the fdisk/format.

What I also do is to clone the hard drive after all of the software and updates are installed on a clean installation. That way you can quickly get the computer up and running with very little work. I clone to an HD in an external enclosure, so a simple swap will get the computer running again.

File backups are something else, I backup modified files daily and take a backup home weekly. Old school, I run xcopy as a scheduled task or manually for the external.

I also have a portable at home that has the same software installed so if my desktop burned I would be able to work.
Wha??
:-)
[Reply]
ucubed 03:41 PM 02-06-2009
Well I got most of everything set up and it's running better than it was before. Thanks for the advice, but it was not needed, I was just ranting and annoyed by the fact that I couldn't fix it in time. I know a great deal about computers so I got this =).
[Reply]
Old Sailor 04:08 PM 02-06-2009
Know how you feel....transfered all my data to my new laptop, formatted old one and sold it.....all my addys are AWOL!!!!:-)

Today I had to reformatt desktop downstairs.
[Reply]
Footbag 04:17 PM 02-06-2009
It could be worse. My laptop and camera were stolen a few days after my honeymoon. I got all of the insurance money for a new laptop, but now I have this mental image of a POS thief looking through my honeymoon photo's.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up