Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>I had to reformat!!!
ucubed 08:10 PM 02-05-2009
I'm quite angry that I had to reformat my computer before I could save some items. I'll be spending probably the weekend to retrieve everything either off my external and/or the internet. AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
[Reply]
white_s2k 08:13 PM 02-05-2009
That sucks Kevin!

Was it a virus?
[Reply]
acruce 08:33 PM 02-05-2009
Be glad you had an external hd.:-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 09:21 PM 02-05-2009
that suck man
[Reply]
Cyanide 09:43 PM 02-05-2009
I've had to do that before. In a typical perfect storm comedy of errors, I lost my thesis, all 5 backups of it and the hard drive one day near the end of my Masters. I spent the next week piecing together parts of files I was able to salvage doing various "bit/byte editing methods". Then I had to rewrite all the missing gaps. Made me actually cry. But, it was a manly cry.

Hope it works out for you. Hope you find your computer faster now.

Good Luck
[Reply]
Darrell 09:47 PM 02-05-2009
Mac users don't have these problems. :-)

Queue Mac vs. PC fight
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 09:48 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:

Queue Mac vs. PC fight
*Take's Mac side*

Then again no problems with any linux comps.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 09:49 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:

Queue Mac vs. PC fight
Really?
[Reply]
Darrell 09:51 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Really?
OK, it does not happen to Mac users who don't download pirated stuff! :-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 09:52 PM 02-05-2009
Really?
You mean to tell me pirated software can be risky and might damage a comp?

For shame! That is no way or shape the fault of the OS, be it any OS.

That's like I put a peanut butter sandwich in my CD drive so dell sucks.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:53 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper:

I'm dying, make it stop. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 09:53 PM 02-05-2009
You mean to tell me pirated software can be risky and might damage a comp?

For shame! That is no way or shape the fault of the OS, be it any OS.

:-) Just pointing out that it does happen. Cause i'm sure no one here ever pirates software :-):-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 09:58 PM 02-05-2009
:-) Just pointing out that it does happen. Cause i'm sure no one here ever pirates software :-):-)
Oh yea, I won't lie or disagree you can break any OS if you do silly things to it though, just normal usage Macs don't tend to kill them selves like a windows machine does.

It's not a perfect or fail safe OS but sure beats the pants off the boarder line suicidal MS machines.

I hated how it was just a way of life to wipe your machine clear every once and a while here and there.

This is coming from someone who's used all 3 of the major OS's and rather decent working them, no means a pro though.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 10:03 PM 02-05-2009
Oh yea, I won't lie or disagree you can break any OS if you do silly things to it though, just normal usage Macs don't tend to kill them selves like a windows machine does.

It's not a perfect or fail safe OS but sure beats the pants off the boarder line suicidal MS machines.

I hated how it was just a way of life to wipe your machine clear every once and a while here and there.

This is coming from someone who's used all 3 of the major OS's and rather decent working them, no means a pro though.
Won't argue with you there! I use all three OS flavors pretty regularly and I wouldn't use windows at all if I didn't need it to play the occasional pc game.
[Reply]
Cigary 10:07 PM 02-05-2009
Just get into the habit of loading important files to a flash. After having gotten burned once and then having to reformat I always save important files to my flash,,,the computer can go F itself while I just go ahead and restore everything back to basics or you can make a copy of all your drives which is a pain. Anything important goes into the flash,,,takes two seconds.
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 10:12 PM 02-05-2009
Won't argue with you there! I use all three OS flavors pretty regularly and I wouldn't use windows at all if I didn't need it to play the occasional pc game.
http://darwine.sourceforge.net/

You are welcome :-)
[Reply]
King James 10:16 PM 02-05-2009
bah, never fun to reformat. Always great to backup, yet usually computer crashes just at the right time when you haven't backed up for a little bit.....never right after saving everything
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 10:22 PM 02-05-2009
http://darwine.sourceforge.net/

You are welcome :-)
I know all about Wine, playing games with it sucks. Big time.
[Reply]
madurolover 10:31 PM 02-05-2009
I have never run anything but Windows. I have also never had a virus or malware. Amazing what a little bit of vigilance can do for you. :-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 10:45 PM 02-05-2009
I know all about Wine, playing games with it sucks. Big time.
Drat.

Really what games are you having a hard time with?

Sorry I wasn't able to help.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up