Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
General Discussion>Taking a toddler to Disney??
TRicker 01:55 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:

My bigger concern is we will have to leave the park after 45 mintues because the giant Goofy scared the chit out of him.
Moe, bring him tonight, I'll bring my goofy outfit and we'll see what happens.
[Reply]
md4958 01:57 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by TRicker:
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 01:58 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by TRicker:
If Leo can handle you he sure as hell can handle goofy. :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 02:23 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
They aim to please, too.
They'll cater to whatever you want. The girl I bought from last time gave me extra hopper cards so I got just what I wanted and just asked that I return the cards (they had more days at different parks on them).
So then she could sell the passes that were still on the cards to other people.
I bet I got 30% off on park passes at least. Maybe 50%.
Wow, and all those suckers lining up at the gate to buy tickets.......
[Reply]
Sailkat 02:45 PM 02-05-2009
Thought I'd throw my :-) in..

I was in the travel business for over 20 years and booked alot of trips for people to Disney World. I discouraged people with children under 5 from going there. For many of the reasons already mentioned, kids don't remember it, there are limited rides they can go on, they often are frightened by the characters, sensory overload, etc. Not to say that you won't have fun, but it's a much better vacationn for older children.

That said, if you do go, stay in the park or on the park transportation system. If after two hours in the park you need to go back to the hotel it makes life much easier. Stroller is a must for little ones.....even if you just use it to carry the junk. Take a change of clothes with you....accidents happen. Bring a favorite book or toy, or both. A familar story or "Mr. Bear" needing a nap can be a good distraction if sensory overload happens. Take water and snacks that are your child's favorites....especially if they are picky eaters. Things are expensive...to find out after one bite that they don't like it and there is not an abundance of PB & J with no crusts :-)

As a suggestion, check out Sea World. I got lots of positive feedback from people with young children regarding visits there.

Have fun....whatever you do!
[Reply]
md4958 02:58 PM 02-05-2009
Thanks Kat:-)
[Reply]
Gone Dave 05:48 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Sailkat:
Thought I'd throw my :-) in..

I was in the travel business for over 20 years and booked alot of trips for people to Disney World. I discouraged people with children under 5 from going there. For many of the reasons already mentioned, kids don't remember it, there are limited rides they can go on, they often are frightened by the characters, sensory overload, etc. Not to say that you won't have fun, but it's a much better vacationn for older children.

That said, if you do go, stay in the park or on the park transportation system. If after two hours in the park you need to go back to the hotel it makes life much easier. Stroller is a must for little ones.....even if you just use it to carry the junk. Take a change of clothes with you....accidents happen. Bring a favorite book or toy, or both. A familar story or "Mr. Bear" needing a nap can be a good distraction if sensory overload happens. Take water and snacks that are your child's favorites....especially if they are picky eaters. Things are expensive...to find out after one bite that they don't like it and there is not an abundance of PB & J with no crusts :-)

As a suggestion, check out Sea World. I got lots of positive feedback from people with young children regarding visits there.

Have fun....whatever you do!
:-)
We took our 5 year old son and our daughter who was 3 at the time.. He had a grand time! but she is like what are you talking about? and I had to carry her most of the time..she did not did the stroller either.

We went with the total Disney package, that included room at the Disney "Movies" hotel, and parks passes, and we added the "FOOD" option to the package and that gave us a breakfast or lunch on the go,or in the hotel or park, and 1 sit down meal that we used for dinner and went to "character meeting" places.. also it comes with a "snack" every day too! that I used mine for stuff like a turkey leg and loaded baked potato at the parks:-)
We went through Disney.com
[IMG]Image[/IMG]
[Reply]
Tenor CS 07:23 PM 02-05-2009
As a WDW cast member, (Disney-speak for "employee") I thought I'd throw my :-) as well.

Honestly, I'd advise against it. But ...

If you do this, remember who the trip is for. I have seen countless sets of parents who fall into the "We're paying a ton of money for this trip and you will have fun whether you like it or not!" mentality. With this mentality, you wind up with crying children and parents who are a hair away from a stroke.

With a toddler, you will most likely NOT be able to be at the turnstiles at the crack of dawn (say 8am) for early entry, and stay till the bitter end to see the fireworks and parade at 10pm or midnight without the little guy experiencing a meltdown, or multiple meltdowns.

You can do this trip and have a ton of fun, get lots of great pictures, and maybe even make some great memories for your family. But it will NOT be a bargain. Even with discounted child tickets, you will pay a lot and, if you want to maintain your sanity, you will probably wind up only doing 6-8 hours in the park each day, tops.

Also, bear in mind, you're talking June. It will be hot. It most likely will rain most of the days, so it will be humid. And it will be crowded. Lines at popular "kiddie" rides in Fantasyland will easily be in the 60-90 minute range. You're gonna wind up pushing a stroller all day. Nothing will deflate you faster than realizing "I spent all this money on this trip and this kid is sleeping in his stroller for the better part of the day."

One last tip: if you're gonna have to skip a park, skip Epcot. Not a whole lot there for the little ones.

You MUST hit Magic Kingdom and will likely spend most of the day in Fantasyland. If you want the pic with Mickey, hit Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM) is a good bet, especially the Playhouse Disney show. The thrill rides are not kid-friendly. The night show, Fantasmic, may be a bit too intense for a 3 year old.

This post is too long already, if I can be of further assistance, PM me.
[Reply]
acruce 07:27 PM 02-05-2009
My wife and I have been discussing a trip to Disney as well. My kids are 8 and 2. I think we are going to wait until the youngest is 5 or 6. I think she will have more fun and remember more at that age.
[Reply]
floydpink 09:13 PM 02-05-2009
Tenor,

Is there any way you might be able to pull some strings and get a day's worth of Fastpasses for CA members?:-) It seems very few of us enjoy the lines at Disney.

I may try to swing by and see you next week. I should be in the Kingdom on Thursday and have a reservation at the Royal Table in the Castle for my daughter's 4th birthday later this month. I forget where you are again in the MK...

Had to book that 5 months out and they charged me for my meal before I got there, sheesh!!!!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:46 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
We brought Amaya a year ago... Stay on property for the early entry as well get tickets for the Pirates and Princess night... On the flip side, she doesn't even remember she was there... :-)
That happens to me sometimes too, when I go out. Next day I wake up with a headache and I can't remember where I have been the night before.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 04:58 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Tenor,

Is there any way you might be able to pull some strings and get a day's worth of Fastpasses for CA members?:-)
Those are harder to get ahold of than tat blacks. :-) Oh, and I'm in Magic Kingdom. Tomorrowland. Stitch complex. (Stitch, TTA, and Astro Orbiter)
[Reply]
floydpink 08:05 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
Those are harder to get ahold of than tat blacks. :-) Oh, and I'm in Magic Kingdom. Tomorrowland. Stitch complex. (Stitch, TTA, and Astro Orbiter)
Kewl. We eat at the Sci Fi cafe a lot. That martian on the keyboards rocks out while we at our burgers and chicken fingers.

Still waiting for my daughter to grow about 3 more inches so we can go on Space Mountain.
[Reply]
Lensjockie 08:10 AM 02-06-2009
Did that with mine.
Stayed off resort becuase while nice just hopping the tram it was still less $$$$.
Depends on your child. There are some 3 year olds that are up for the task of the long days but as long as you are willing to let them rest when it is time then get up and start agian on their clock you should be good to go. Besides you will probably appreciate thebreak.Just don't overload them in an effort to get everything in. Take your time and it should be fun. It is about the time with the fam, and not trying to jam everything you can into each day.

Lensjockie
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 08:21 AM 02-06-2009
I whent my frist time when I was 9 and it was ruff on my parents and was somewhat fully grown. But ICIM taking an toddler. But You can look at it this way you can walk around with you stoges in your shrit pocket and not have to worry about them drying out, it is flarida in june.
[Reply]
floydpink 12:56 PM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by wrench turner 85:
I whent my frist time when I was 9 and it was ruff on my parents and was somewhat fully grown. But ICIM taking an toddler. But You can look at it this way you can walk around with you stoges in your shrit pocket and not have to worry about them drying out, it is flarida in june.
:-):-):-)
can you translate that?
[Reply]
Tenor CS 08:27 PM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Kewl. We eat at the Sci Fi cafe a lot. That martian on the keyboards rocks out while we at our burgers and chicken fingers.

Still waiting for my daughter to grow about 3 more inches so we can go on Space Mountain.
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe is the busiest counter service restaurant in the world.

(Actually, we go back and forth with a McDonald's in Moscow, but we usually win 7-8 months out of the year.)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up