Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Taking a toddler to Disney??
md4958 07:28 AM 02-05-2009
The wife and I have been discussing taking our son to Disney World near to his 3rd birthday in June. We would probably be spending 4 or 5 days in Disney and then visiting some friends and family in Plant City and West Palm.

Ive been to Disney 15 or so times, so im quite familiar with it, but ive never taken a toddler. Im questioning if it will be worth the cost. Ive always thoguht that 3 year olds were a bit young to appreciate Disney, but some friends have taken thier young children and said its wonderful to see the magic in thier eyes. He is a huge fan of Mickey Mouse and the Disney characters in general.

We are pricing our options right now, so not sure if we will be staying on property, or off. I like the All-Star resorts, but they arent as inexpensive as they used to be. We will most likely be renting a car.

Can anybody offer any advice, tips or suggestons on Disney with young children?
[Reply]
dunng 07:31 AM 02-05-2009
We brought Amaya a year ago... Stay on property for the early entry as well get tickets for the Pirates and Princess night... On the flip side, she doesn't even remember she was there... :-)

We can talk some tomorrow on this... :-)
[Reply]
md4958 07:33 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
We brought Amaya a year ago... Stay on property for the early entry as well get tickets for the Pirates and Princess night... We'll take some tomorrow on this... :-)
I dont remember, have talked about this before?
[Reply]
dunng 07:35 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
I dont remember, have talked about this before?
Yes... :-)
[Reply]
dunng 07:37 AM 02-05-2009
Moe, Sarah would be the one to talk to about this... She planned it perfectly (especially considering it was mobbed being school vacation)! :-)
[Reply]
Starchild 07:39 AM 02-05-2009
My boss recently had to break down and take his two kids inside the park(age 4 and 6). For the last couple years, they would take them to Downtown Disney and they didn't know the difference. It's just the Disney shopping and restaurant area with no admission. I think they still have the characters walking around and plenty of stuff for kids. At that age, they can't go on any of the rides or take advantage of most of what the main park has to offer.

I know we'll be waiting till our daughter is at least 5 before we pay for admission to the park.
[Reply]
Kneo 07:40 AM 02-05-2009
We took my 2 year old daughter with us in Jan of 2008. We were only there for 4 days and actually only 2 of them was spent in park days.

We still got to see all the parks but we were rushing. My mother came with us so no one had to miss out on any rides because of the little.

Cassie had a great time even though she didn't get to ride the big rides. However the ones she did get to she loved.

Just have a stroller for the little one and let them take naps when they want to.

We are planning on going back next April with Cassie who will be 4 and our new baby who will be almost 1 then.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:40 AM 02-05-2009
May not be what you want to hear but at age of 3?
Man, the only ones that will enjoy it to some degree before you hate it is your wife and you.
Your 3 year old will get tired easily, get cranky and never remember any of it.
I too made that mistake with my kids and was just a whole lot of money wasted.
I strongly recommend not taking a child there until at least 5, and even that may be too soon.

That said, good luck and hope you guys have a great time.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:42 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
On the flip side, she doesn't even remember she was there... :-)

:-)
Just saw this after my post.
Seems to be exactly what I said.
Few realize this when taking small children there.
[Reply]
newcigarz 07:58 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
May not be what you want to hear but at age of 3?
Man, the only ones that will enjoy it to some degree before you hate it is your wife and you.
Your 3 year old will get tired easily, get cranky and never remember any of it.
I too made that mistake with my kids and was just a whole lot of money wasted.
I strongly recommend not taking a child there until at least 5, and even that may be too soon.

That said, good luck and hope you guys have a great time.

One of the first things we did when we moved to Florida was get Florida resident season passes. With my son being 5 ( 6 in March) he is really enjoying the trips there now and we are too.
[Reply]
md4958 08:00 AM 02-05-2009
Just saw this after my post.
Seems to be exactly what I said.
Few realize this when taking small children there.
Thanks for your input Carlos :-)

Gregs daughter was probably under 2 if it was last year.

Im really not concerned with him remembering for the rest of his life, because if he does well we would take him regularly.

My bigger concern is we will have to leave the park after 45 mintues because the giant Goofy scared the chit out of him. So, I was hoping if somebody could offer advice on how to avoid that it would be great.

He ususally does very well when we take him out all day say to the outlets or to the mall or something. We would be giving him naps in the afternoon, so that he wouldnt be a monster for the rest of the day. I AM concerned with sensory overload I think. There is so much going on at the parks.
[Reply]
shilala 08:01 AM 02-05-2009
I waited to take the kids till my youngest was 8.
They'd have rather been at the beach, but that's what they like.
5 or 6 would probably be good, in hindsight.
[Reply]
shilala 08:03 AM 02-05-2009
My daughter got scared at the 3D Bugs Life movie, Moe.
It's the first time she was ever scared of anything and I've never seen her scared of anything since. Go figure?
[Reply]
Blueface 08:04 AM 02-05-2009
Thanks for your input Carlos :-)

Gregs daughter was probably under 2 if it was last year.

Im really not concerned with him remembering for the rest of his life, because if he does well we would take him regularly.

My bigger concern is we will have to leave the park after 45 mintues because the giant Goofy scared the chit out of him. So, I was hoping if somebody could offer advice on how to avoid that it would be great.

He ususally does very well when we take him out all day say to the outlets or to the mall or something. We would be giving him naps in the afternoon, so that he wouldnt be a monster for the rest of the day. I AM concerned with sensory overload I think. There is so much going on at the parks.
Very, very legitimate concerns.
My daughter freaked out totally on the Snow White ride.
When younger, the characters really scared her too.
The good thing is they forget quickly as soon as you distract them with something else.
I tell you what, to a great degree, you will enjoy it as you will live through them. You can have an excuse to be a kid again for a while.
It is just a painful ordeal overall unless you happen to be one of the lucky ones.
The parks are much too expensive to go in for a while and have to leave soon after.
[Reply]
md4958 08:08 AM 02-05-2009
The parks are much too expensive to go in for a while and have to leave soon after.
This is my biggest concern Carlos, since the hopper passes are no longer good forever.

I guess if the wife really wants to go we can always see how the Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom goes and if its a nightmare pay extra to have the passes good forever and just sit by the pool and relax.
[Reply]
Blueface 08:11 AM 02-05-2009
This is my biggest concern Carlos, since the hopper passes are no longer good forever.

I guess if the wife really wants to go we can always see how the Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom goes and if its a nightmare pay extra to have the passes good forever and just sit by the pool and relax.
There will be plenty of warmth, sun and things to do in June in the Orlando area.
That is a great way to go. See how things go in one park or two and then go from there. Meantime, lots to do or not do so the vacation will still be a great one.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:48 AM 02-05-2009
When my sister was fairly young my family made three visits there and personally I think it would be a waste of money to take someone that young there. I saw parents pushing their kids around in strollers and the kids had no idea where they were. Id wait a few more years when he will really be able to appreciate where he is.
[Reply]
shilala 09:08 AM 02-05-2009

Hey Moe-sy, I always bought my hopper passes from the people outside 7-11. It was a little scary the first time and seemed a little shady, but I got my tickets at a decent discount.
Disney scalpers rock. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 09:10 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Hey Moe-sy, I always bought my hopper passes from the people outside 7-11. It was a little scary the first time and seemed a little shady, but I got my tickets at a decent discount.
Disney scalpers rock. :-)
:-):-):-)

Holy crap. Never even dawned on me.
[Reply]
floydpink 09:20 AM 02-05-2009
I'm lucky enough to live 20 minutes from Disney and have family passes for the year.

My daughter has been going before she could walk, and sadly enough, a week doesn't pass when I am not in at least one of the parks. Due to this, I guess I'm qualified to comment. Here are some observations

1. Many kids get scared the first time they meet Mickey and friends as they are much bigger than the tv they are used to. NEVER force the kids to meet them, let them go at their pace if they even want to go.

2. The parks can be overwhelming. Takke them in samll doses, a few hours at a time, then go back to the hotel for a nap or a swim in the pool.

3. Avoid the busiest holiday and vacation times if possible as well as June-Sept, as this time is unbearably hot.

4. Bring frozen bottles of water in a backpack. They'll start to thaw slowly and give you cold drinks all day without the $3 a bottle you pay in the parks. Healthy snacks are good as well.

5. You don't need to stand in lines for hours to meet the characters. The parks all have greeting areas, look at the guide map or ask a cast member.

6. Don't rush to be there at opening. Families with small kids start tiring out and leaving by the early afternoon and miss the parades and fireworks more often than not.

Yes, Disney is GREAT with toddlers with a little planning.

The memories will be cherished for a lifetime... even if your single friends laught at you
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up