Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Trade value??
SilverFox 10:58 AM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Anyone else have an opinion on the matter??
An opinion well they are like................. so everyone has one.

I say simply don't sweat it. In the grand scheme of things the negative energy you create for yourself in worrying whether what the last guy did was "fair" or not ruins the potential for you to enjoy a trade or MAW for what it is an opportunity for you to share something you have with someone you think will enjoy it.

I send out a bomb or two and do lots of trades my expectation is simple, that the person I am sending too will enjoy what I send and hopefully think of what I might like in return. It isn't about volume, price, or any other commercial measure to me. I get all my value in smiles, if I have brightened a day nothing you can send me in a box has more value than that.

[Reply]
icehog3 01:23 PM 12-07-2008
A friend of one became involved in a pass on another Cigar Forum, the first big pass they had ever been involved in.

The starter of the pass, along with his toadies, had to approve all puts and takes before the box could be sent. When the pass came to my friend, they were totally stressed out about their puts and takes. My experience with passes had come almost exclusively with Club Stogie, so I couldn't understand how this pass was so stressful for my friend.

I went over and helped them with puts and takes. And then it began. "They say that the Fuente Anejo doesn't match up exactly with the Tatuaje West Coast". ...."Now they say that the Padron 1964 doesn't have the same value as a whatever". My friend was completely frazzled, and I was pis$ed off at a group of cigar people I don't even know.

Like Al said earlier in the thread, this is supposed to be fun. Err on the side of giving better "value" if you don't want to be stressed, but bottom line....If you (generic "you", not singling anyone out) are all worked up about getting/giving value to the point where it takes the fun out of it, then maybe passes and Pifs aren't for you.
[Reply]
massphatness 01:43 PM 12-07-2008
I'm in general agreement with Shawn, Al, Tom and others about just chillaxin' and not getting worked up over a pass. I try to keep my house in order. When I go to bed at night, I sleep well. When I wake up in the morning, I have no problem looking myself in the eye.

I'm posting only 'cuz I love Tom's use of the word "toadies". :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 01:49 PM 12-07-2008
I think there is a "approval" pass on CA. Never seen one like that before where everyone has to give the OK before it can move.

Certainly not my style but if it works who am I to say.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:34 PM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I think there is a "approval" pass on CA. Never seen one like that before where everyone has to give the OK before it can move.

Certainly not my style but if it works who am I to say.
Yes, that pass has rules similar to the ones I described, though I make no "declarations of toadies" there.

All the pass participators agreed on the rules, so that is OK with all of them. That being said, I would not participate in a pass where I had to wait for the pass-starter's approval over my puts and takes. :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 02:58 PM 12-07-2008
When it comes to passes Members involved such as Tom, Al, Vin, or Shawn, You guys have a reputation wherever you go (be it good or bad I'm not sure :-)) this is more applicable to first time passers or people that do not have such a following. I'm not saying don't trust the newbie I'm just saying you have to EARN trust just like respect no matter what cell block your from.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:51 PM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
When it comes to passes Members involved such as Tom, Al, Vin, or Shawn, You guys have a reputation wherever you go (be it good or bad I'm not sure :-)) this is more applicable to first time passers or people that do not have such a following. I'm not saying don't trust the newbie I'm just saying you have to EARN trust just like respect no matter what cell block your from.
Definitely truth in what you say, Simeon.... but it seemed to me that things usually got ironed out with honest newb mistakes, and the very few "mooches" we saw got called out quickly too. I would hate to see us go the route some other boards have where all puts and takes are subject to an official approval process, etc.....but I also understand where you're coming from. :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 05:18 PM 12-07-2008
"I would hate to see us go the route some other boards have where all puts and takes are subject to an official approval process"

Agreed. 100% that would be too much work for you guys and you have already gone WAY out of your way to give us CA.

By the way, THANK YOU!
[Reply]
Silound 05:37 PM 12-07-2008
I think that, since money is merely a concept for bartering, that cost doesn't matter in the long run. Typically, I simply measure the overall value and difficulty of finding sticks in a rough sense, then I overvalue it by a large amount. I figure the dollar values don't matter because there's nothing static about them. Besides which, a $50 cigar no one wants really has no value, while a $4 cigar everyone wants has a lot of value.

I try to follow the concept of always give more than you get, and you'll always be able to get when you want it next. That doesn't mean I can simply demand something and get it; it does mean if I'm looking for something, odds are someone I've bombed or traded with in the past is going to be willing to hook me up.

More importantly, I occasionally feel like making someone go "Woah!" hence I sometimes dish out way more than I get just for the fun of it. :-)
[Reply]
maddman 05:41 PM 12-07-2008
Forums have a very long memory of givers and takers, it all works it self on just dont be on the wrong end. Give take what you think is right.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up