Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Needless expense to some, already paid itself for me
Blueface 08:44 AM 04-27-2011
For purposes of perspective, asked my grandson to pose with the now famous scooter, around the pool as I caught him on the camera, less the pit bulls.
(actual surveillance photo)

Now picture him doing laps around, at full speed, banging into two dogs.

[Reply]
newcigarz 08:59 AM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by Blueface:
For purposes of perspective, asked my grandson to pose with the now famous scooter, around the pool as I caught him on the camera, less the pit bulls.
(actual surveillance photo)

Now picture him doing laps around, at full speed, banging into two dogs.

Yikes!!!
[Reply]
drmda 09:07 AM 04-27-2011
Blueface,

It certainly was a worthwhile investment.

I'm just beginning the process of researching a security and monitoring system for my house that can be monitored by a 3rd party company, but that I can also monitor myself via iphone or or other internet-connected device.

I am interested in finding out what research resources you used in the process of making your decision, and hearing any other advice you may have.

If you are willing to help a newbie home security DIYer get started would you please private message me.

Thanks
[Reply]
Blueface 09:22 AM 04-27-2011
Bob,
Will address your question on the thread as it may benefit others that may have the same question. If you need anything else, PM me.

This system has evolved gradually throughout 8 years or so.
Initially, it was installed in a rush as my daughter had been assaulted by another student's mother, on school grounds. That resulted in the authorities, charges, etc. Concerned with retaliation, while my daughter went home after school and was alone as wife and I were working, I installed the first system.

I had a professional company install it. At the time, I had black and white bullet type cameras, along with a VHS recorder for the events. Cost me close to $3,000 to install.

As the years passed, and hurricane Wilma came along and shorted out the system, I upgraded to newer IR color cameras with night vision and a hardrive for a DVR, as opposed to VHS recordings. Much clearer, more storage, easier search functions. Not to mention, you probably couldn't find a VHS one any more if you tried.

Most recently, I decided to upgrade it to the system that allows me remote access, from iPad, iPhone, and any computer. That unit is an Everfocus ECOR264. They come in various models depending on number of camaras one wants. Additionally, they have an application in the App Store for their system. It is a bit crude but effective. Only allows you to view and take snapshots of any of your cameras. Some of my cameras are now 36 IR, upgraded from the 12 I have had until recently. That basically enables a longer distance of night viewing, without any lights at all around.

I believe there is no doubt it is something anyone handy can do themselves. However, for a few hundred dollars in labor, much easier to have someone do it for you and you can sit there and watch them do it.

Through the years, I truly believe it has paid for itself. As an example, I came home to find my custom concrete borders for my landscaping along my circular driveway destroyed. When I checked the cameras, I was able to record a DVD showing Fed Ex driving all over it and destroying it as they left my house from a delivery. I contacted Fed Ex, gave them a copy of the DVD and got paid the $700 it cost to replace it. The latest upgrade to being able to view remotely is now priceless thanks to what it helped me accomplish.
[Reply]
c2000 10:25 AM 04-27-2011
Sounds like a great system especially when you can use your Ipad to tap into it..
I live in a very secluded area and the previous owner had been a victim of a burglary, so I installed an alarm system and never looked back ,,plus it saves you some money on your insurance...

Jerry in Minnesota.
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 03:57 PM 04-27-2011
Que alivio Carlos, me da gusto que todos estan bien.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up