Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Thoughts on purging
icehog3 01:37 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Neens:
I don't think I have ever done it. I just don't see why you would. Even if I were to let my cigar go out I would purge.
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Purging will reduce the amount and intensity of those bad flavors. :-)
That's why.
[Reply]
druturn 02:58 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I do it occassionally, really depends on the stick and how it is developing.
I am with Tom on this one. For me, it varies from cigar to cigar, and occasion to occasion. Sometimes I smoke quickly, sometimes I drag out a smoke for a long time. Some sticks turn foul quickly, some never turn foul on me. It all depends on a few variables for me. For instance, recently I was smoking a cigar that I purged probably 3-4 times. That may be a bit extreme, but it helped the smoke get back on track and stay consistent in good flavor when it started to veer off into the odd flavor. But to answer the main question, YES I do purge on occasion and think there is value in purging.
[Reply]
CoreyD 06:04 AM 01-02-2011
Explanation of purging and reasons of doing it please. I know some and had tried it a few times but I'm sure I'm not only one that wants to grow in knowledge of this.
[Reply]
staminator 07:28 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by CoreyD:
Explanation of purging and reasons of doing it please. I know some and had tried it a few times but I'm sure I'm not only one that wants to grow in knowledge of this.
It seems the consensus is that if the flavor of the smoke is going south, becoming bitter or less desirable, then a quick purge (blowing out through the cigar, instead of drawing the smoke into your mouth), can clear up the not so great flavor profile that developed.
[Reply]
guitar4001 08:51 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by hscmit:
if I can start to taste an unpleasant change in profile or build up of tar on the stick I will purge, but do it just to do it
same here. i do it on relight too.
[Reply]
neoflex 10:57 AM 01-02-2011
I usually purge right after lighting a stick before I take my first puff. Probably over kill but that's my ritual. I won't always purge while smoking unless I start to feel like I am getting unpleasant flavors which at that time I will purge like others have mentioned. If I know I will have to lay a stick down for a few minutes and there is a chance that it will go out than I will purge before laying it down and most definitely purge immediately after the relight which I do with a fresh stick anyway.
[Reply]
justonemorestick 12:15 PM 01-02-2011
I do it sometimes during my smoke but mostly only iof I have to do a touch up or a relight.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 12:25 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by CoreyD:
I purge when I relight or on a thin RG cigar if I let it get too hot. Blow out through the cigar as you hold the flame up to your cigar. You will see the flame turn colors. I normally blow till I see the flame go back to its original color. Just how I do it. I have seen and heard of a few different ways.
[Reply]
scoot 11:21 PM 01-02-2011
Purging often improves a cigars flavor and sometimes even corrects burn issues. Like others have said, it depends on how a particular cigar is developing, but I have never had a cigar respond negatively to purging.

Becoming accustomed to unpleasant flavor is in direct conflict with the very core of why I enjoy smoking.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
bobarian 12:06 AM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by scoot:
Purging often improves a cigars flavor and sometimes even corrects burn issues. Like others have said, it depends on how a particular cigar is developing, but I have never had a cigar respond negatively to purging.

Becoming accustomed to unpleasant flavor is in direct conflict with the very core of why I enjoy smoking.
Posted via Mobile Device
QFT!
[Reply]
Cohiba007 04:15 PM 01-03-2011
I seem to purge once towards the end of the cigar
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up