Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Thoughts on purging
staminator 07:15 PM 01-01-2011
I have heard all different opinions on purging cigars. I had a friend tell me if I need to relight a cigar, to purge while torching the foot. I've seen someone else purge several times throughout their cigar. One friend is convinced his cigar tastes better if he purges several times immediately after lighting up (even using butane, which has always never imparted a taste on my cigars).

I'm interested in hearing what different people's opinions are on this.
[Reply]
Volusianator 07:19 PM 01-01-2011
Purging is something that once you really, honestly get used to smoking cigars you'll rarely have to do. Back in the 90's I used to purge almost every cigar I had, now if I do three a year that's probably tops. Slow down your smoking, cut your cigar amply and you won't have to worry about purging.
[Reply]
Ogre 07:21 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
Purging is something that once you really, honestly get used to smoking cigars you'll rarely have to do. Back in the 90's I used to purge almost every cigar I had, now if I do three a year that's probably tops. Slow down your smoking, cut your cigar amply and you won't have to worry about purging.
:-) I am doing it less and less
[Reply]
Drez 07:24 PM 01-01-2011
i do it once and a while. like stated above i just pace myself so there is no real need to purge.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:24 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
:-)
[Reply]
G G 07:26 PM 01-01-2011
I hardly ever do myself.
[Reply]
staminator 07:48 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by Drez:
i do it once and a while. like stated above i just pace myself so there is no real need to purge.
You pace yourself, meaning if you smoke too quickly you need to purge. Why is this? To be clear, I don't purge my own cigars, it just seemed there were different schools of thought on this.
[Reply]
hscmit 08:25 PM 01-01-2011
if I can start to taste an unpleasant change in profile or build up of tar on the stick I will purge, but do it just to do it
[Reply]
icehog3 09:11 PM 01-01-2011
I do it occassionally, really depends on the stick and how it is developing.
[Reply]
Devanmc 09:14 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:

Originally Posted by ggainey:
I hardly ever do myself.
:-) its better off this way :-)
[Reply]
Zeuceone 09:31 PM 01-01-2011
So smoking fast causes this need to purge?
[Reply]
bobarian 09:39 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
So smoking fast causes this need to purge?
Sometimes you will get off flavors no matter how slow or fast you smoke. Purging will reduce the amount and intensity of those bad flavors. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:40 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I do it occassionally, really depends on the stick and how it is developing.
What Tom Said!
[Reply]
Volusianator 09:41 PM 01-01-2011
Again as I originally stated, I think if you seriously smoke cigars for several years, even with the "odd flavors" or tar build up, you will tend to purge less often as you just become accustom to it.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 09:41 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Sometimes you will get off flavors no matter how slow or fast you smoke. Purging will reduce the amount and intensity of those bad flavors. :-)
Thanks. I might have experience d off flavors.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 10:04 PM 01-01-2011
I had never purged in about 23 years of cigar smoking. MJ did it one day and I asked what he was doing, and he explained purging to me. Shortly after that, I had this particular cigar which was beginning to taste a little acrid. I tried a purge, as MJ had showed me. WOW!!! It got rid of that bitter and acrid taste and the cigar was wonderful.

I don't purge very often. However, if I get a cigar that sort of turns south on me, I'll give it a purge. Usually, it makes a big difference - occasionally it make just a slight difference - but I have only had a couple times were it made no difference.

That is just my experience.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:06 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
Again as I originally stated, I think if you seriously smoke cigars for several years, even with the "odd flavors" or tar build up, you will tend to purge less often as you just become accustom to it.
Why would you want to become "accustom" to tasting bad flavors? Do years of "seriously smoking cigars" lead one to settling for mediocrity? I smoke cigars seeking a pleasurably experience, always searching for the "perfect" cigar. There are times where purging will turn a cigar completely around. The day I become accustomed to tasting crap in a cigar is the day I stop smoking. :-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:33 PM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Why would you want to become "accustom" to tasting bad flavors? Do years of "seriously smoking cigars" lead one to settling for mediocrity? I smoke cigars seeking a pleasurably experience, always searching for the "perfect" cigar. There are times where purging will turn a cigar completely around. The day I become accustomed to tasting crap in a cigar is the day I stop smoking. :-)
The flavors just don't bother me anymore. Plus, when I purge, the cigars becomes way to mild.
[Reply]
Neens 10:38 PM 01-01-2011
I don't think I have ever done it. I just don't see why you would. Even if I were to let my cigar go out I would purge.
[Reply]
Springsman 11:14 PM 01-01-2011
hmmm, never heard of that...thanks I'm going to have to look it up.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up